Conn and New Jersey Coppers, buttons, and barber dime!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1788 Conn copper, 1786 NJ Copper, buttons, barber and merc dimes, + V & buf nickels!

**Edit: So after eating lunch and posting this originally while at a nearby friend's house, I went back to the shade tree spot for another 2 hours and got a few MORE firsts for me, including first V nickel (1902) and Buffalo (dateless), as well as a bunch of wheaties from the teens, a 1940 merc, and a couple of old pocket knives!

I've now cleaned the buttons and coins, and am pretty pleased! Looks like 1788 for one of the two Connecticut Coppers, and a solid 1786 for the NJ! And the buttons have exquisite detail.

This basically ended up as a 6 hour hunt at two target rich areas separated by about 250 feet and 120+ years. Can't wait to go back to the post-colonial site when it isn't so hot! Oh, and yes, that is a fox trap on the upper right of the 1700s collection :tongue3: **

Original Post:
All firsts for me! Found a map of this farming area along the VT-NY border that showed a school and some home sites from the 1830s, and which has been an orchard since the early 1900s. The third signal I dug was the toasted copper without details! All but one button was dug in a line about 8 ft wide and 50 feet long. Just amazing. You should have heard my victory cry when I saw the 1786 on what turned out to be the jersey!!!

Then, to top it off, I go across the field to a shady tree because I'm dying in the heat, and just futzing around in the shade I scored my first barber dime!

I have to give a shout to Scrappy and Vino: we've never met, but your recent hunts have been driving me nuts with envy. I'm not normally a very competitive person, but I really pushed myself on the research this time to try to get on the board like you fellas. YES!!!

So, any advice on whether or not, and how, to restore? I cleaned the KGs I found earlier in the summer following Don from NJ's peroxide recipe, but those came out of the ground unreadable. At least two of these three have real detail, and I don't want to screw anything up. I'm wide open to suggestions.

Thanks for looking, and good luck out there everybody!
Ken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    614.7 KB · Views: 220
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 198
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.2 KB · Views: 197
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 214
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 198
  • conn 1.jpg
    conn 1.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Conn 1788.jpg
    Conn 1788.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 179
  • NJ obverse.jpg
    NJ obverse.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 174
  • NJ 1786.jpg
    NJ 1786.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 1900s.jpg
    1900s.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 182
  • whole day.jpg
    whole day.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1700s site.jpg
    1700s site.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed this post somehow, but at least I caught the update! Love those state coppers. The NJ has great details. You got some nice 18th century fancy buttons in nice shape as well. That orchard soil has been kind to those buttons and coins.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
narLey 3 state coppers :occasion14: sheezz I would be back to that location D tecting @ day break

daWg

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
narLey 3 state coppers :occasion14: sheezz I would be back to that location D tecting @ day break
daWg

I hear ya, dawg. But theyve waited for around 80,000 days for me. I can be patient for them. :thumbsup:

MichiganMan

Jun 13, 2008
Kalamazoo County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
A cheap one until I can decide on a very good brand-name one to buy.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Great story. Great information on how to incrementally clean the coins.

For me personally I think they turned out nice while still retaining a cool patina. it's a banner in my opinion.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG ZK. :occasion14: You are on track to post more finds like Vino & Scrappy. Good luck and be thankful your hunting on the east coast instead of O - H - I - O,

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds. Great story. Great information on how to incrementally clean the coins.

For me personally I think they turned out nice while still retaining a cool patina. it's a banner in my opinion.

Very thoughtful remarks, thank you. I'm genuinely glad you enjoyed the finds and process...the banner nod is just icing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread