Return to Roman Metal Working Site - WOW...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This morning Cru'Dad & I had a quick dicussion about where to go. We had tried all our hit list of available fields last week (over 20) & it was time to switch off the search mode (for now).
I said lets go to the Roman Site No.2 but Cru'Dad wanted to return to where he had the Celtic Gold. I agreed that was the best idea, but we agreed after doing the small patch we had missed will we move on to my suggestion.
Both of us had no idea it would produce so many coins, so we stayed there gridding for 5 hours (10 man hours).

34 Roman Bronze Coins (Our best 1 day total this year)
1 Roman Silver - Billon Antoninianus of TACITUS
Lots of Roman Pot Shards
Lots of Bronze Metal Working pieces
3 Roman Fibula - 1st C AD
Roman Iron Hobnail
Roman Bracelet Frag
My best Iron Age (Celtic) 1st C BC - 1st C AD - La Tene Type III Brooch - Stunning Aqua Patina!
Star Find - EXTREMELY RARE - Half of a Roman Lead Dolphin Buckle from the 4th C AD. This trial or test piece according to my expert contact is the first known example recorded in Britain. He has heard of some in mainland Europe but none here. I also checked the databases & I can't find any. This is an important find because as long as we assume this test piece was made at this metal working site, then we then have a manfacturing site for this type of Buckle. That is what I call changing History, as we know it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 110
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    282.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 103
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 101
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 1aq.JPG
    1aq.JPG
    266 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing discovery with the buckle and wow, just wow,to everything else. Your new site appears to be untouched and should keep you and your pops busy for a while. Congrats on a mind blowing hunt

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing discovery with the buckle and wow, just wow,to everything else. Your new site appears to be untouched and should keep you and your pops busy for a while. Congrats on a mind blowing hunt

Old site, come good, with a plough & Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread