Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasurenet,

I have been a lurker on the Treasurenet forums for about 2 years now, looking in aww of the various coins, relics, and treasures other treasure seekers are coming across.

This past Friday I finally got the chance to get out and dig after taking a break for a few weeks and having the bug bite me again.
My hunting buddy and I started detecting a High School not too far away from where we both live in Long Island NY. The school was producing a lot of modern silver (more than usual), which indicated to me that the site was probably virgin or only lightly hunted. Anyway, the day was winding down and between my partner and I we had dug over a dozen silver coins which is a great score all in itself. Towards the back of the football field my partner got a nice button signal and it turned out to be a nice flat button. Whenever we find a flat button the natural reaction is to get excited and hope that we've stumbled upon a nice colonial location.

I decided to move parallel to the opposite side of the football field and scan towards the older-looking baseball field. As I scanned along the first base side slightly in the out field, I got a slamming signal on my Whites VX3. Rang solid 86 jumping to 87 at about 3 inches. Usually when I get a signal such as this it turns out to be a clad quarter spill or if I'm lucky its a shallow silver quarter or ring.

Popped the plug and saw a tarnished large disk staring at me. Having not dug a half dollar yet, witnessing my buddy pull more than a dozen in front of me... I was already getting very excited. My thoughts were "Maybe its a Walker... or a 40% Kennedy". I rubbed the dirt and saw seated liberty staring back at me.

Needless to say I lost it...

Well Here it is Front & Back!!!

seated_front.jpg seated_back.jpg

Shortly after, my partner turned up a 1723 Woods Hibernia Half Penny, which confirmed colonial activity. Still can't believe it...

Upvote 32

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score! I've dug a couple Barber halves, a bunch of Walkers, some Franklins, and some Kennedys......but I can't seem to find a seated coin to save my soul, much less a seated half!!
WTG :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great looking half, and it sounds like you have a nice little spot to keep going back to in the future.

OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice,and WOW were you able to get the film off ,and could you show us the results?

I didn't record it live, however I did record the aftermath for about 35-40 seconds. I'll upload that later tonight and post it here.
My results out of that site for the day were:
4 Silver Washington Quarters - 1942, 1943, 1946, 1946
3 Silver Roosevelt Dimes - 1952, 1956, 1964
1 Silver Mercury Dime - 1927
1876 Seated Liberty Half Dollar

Great score! I've dug a couple Barber halves, a bunch of Walkers, some Franklins, and some Kennedys......but I can't seem to find a seated coin to save my soul, much less a seated half!!
WTG :thumbsup:

Thank You! Long Island is just a crazy place to hunt and by the looks of your finds, PA seems to be just as crazy. Never ceases to amaze me how many locations are rich in colonial and 19th century activity. There are days that I think to myself that every public site is hunted out and that all I can do is door knock. Virtually everything that I've found has been at public locations, which is just incredible. Besides a half dollar the only other type of coin outside (half dimes, half-cents, 3-centers, and dollars) that had been and still is evading me is the elusive spanish reale. I have yet to find a reale despite my partner digging 10+ in front of me.

Your seated is going to come soon! Seated is in season right now.

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunka SILVER! :thumbsup:
You have a good location to return to...!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome!!! Congratz!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the tarnished look as well. I pulled a seated half dime once that was 95% black with tarnish and just a hint of the silver peeking out. I would definitely keep it as is as well. Congrats!

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aww I am really jealous. It looks like it is in great shape

kristof.wanderer

Mar 23, 2014
Nacogdoches Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Congratulations!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread