Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasurenet,

I have been a lurker on the Treasurenet forums for about 2 years now, looking in aww of the various coins, relics, and treasures other treasure seekers are coming across.

This past Friday I finally got the chance to get out and dig after taking a break for a few weeks and having the bug bite me again.
My hunting buddy and I started detecting a High School not too far away from where we both live in Long Island NY. The school was producing a lot of modern silver (more than usual), which indicated to me that the site was probably virgin or only lightly hunted. Anyway, the day was winding down and between my partner and I we had dug over a dozen silver coins which is a great score all in itself. Towards the back of the football field my partner got a nice button signal and it turned out to be a nice flat button. Whenever we find a flat button the natural reaction is to get excited and hope that we've stumbled upon a nice colonial location.

I decided to move parallel to the opposite side of the football field and scan towards the older-looking baseball field. As I scanned along the first base side slightly in the out field, I got a slamming signal on my Whites VX3. Rang solid 86 jumping to 87 at about 3 inches. Usually when I get a signal such as this it turns out to be a clad quarter spill or if I'm lucky its a shallow silver quarter or ring.

Popped the plug and saw a tarnished large disk staring at me. Having not dug a half dollar yet, witnessing my buddy pull more than a dozen in front of me... I was already getting very excited. My thoughts were "Maybe its a Walker... or a 40% Kennedy". I rubbed the dirt and saw seated liberty staring back at me.

Needless to say I lost it...

Well Here it is Front & Back!!!

seated_front.jpg seated_back.jpg

Shortly after, my partner turned up a 1723 Woods Hibernia Half Penny, which confirmed colonial activity. Still can't believe it...

Upvote 32

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice . Congratulations

mack0238

May 10, 2015
Rochester, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SEATED FEVER HAS COMMENCED!!

Way to go... the biggest I can ever find is a quarter.

Keep going back to that site every year... I'm sure you'll always surprise yourself!

OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mack thanks! Previous to this my best coin find was also a Seated Quarter. I thought i'd never see another "biggish" seated again, (at least not for a few years) but nature surprised me.

Yep I'm going to let the site sit for a bit, considering the school year has just begun.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice going on the seated half

HuntNdig

Oct 6, 2011
North Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude that's awesome! I just got my first walking liberty today!!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WELCOME NEW MEMBER TO TNET. NICE COIN FIND .

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you decide finally post something, you really do it right! It must have bit quite a thrill to see that tarnished silver in the ground. Great recovery.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. I personally like it the way it is all tarnished. Hope you don't clean it any more than a light rinse. [emoji106]

OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. I personally like it the way it is all tarnished. Hope you don't clean it any more than a light rinse. [emoji106]

Of course! I like the natural tarnish on the coin and the fact that it has plow marks. Shiny is nice, but not on this one haha

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jj.png might be worth looking up old maps of the area or checking in with local historical society

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd have a heart attack if I dug that! I agree the patina is nice, it's part of the story. Congrats man...

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story! Congrats on the first half!!!! Hit that spot HARD!!!!!:occasion14:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a beauty. I dug a '71 half about three months ago and its a special thing now-a-days. Congrats and enjoy that big old and fat silver

Steve

OP
OP
M

mparis

Greenie
Feb 17, 2014
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great story! Congrats on the first half!!!! Hit that spot HARD!!!!!:occasion14:

Thank You! Once we get a bit more rain and the fall season settles in, I'll be back at the helm for sure at the site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread