First land hunt of the year...400 year old Apostle Spoon and other goodies

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and swapped my webbed feet for my boots as Bill D and I got together for our first land hunt of the year.

This day was an odd one as we were super excited to get to a specific area that yielded some very early stuff a year earlier. Bill made the comment "We must be better than we thought as we left hardly anything behind." We gave it a good few hours with little to show (fired .70 musket ball, buckle pieces, tack, and a lead tag that has a nail pushed through it) and decided to head to another part of the county to find a new place to spend the remainder of the day and boy am I glad that we did. First, we realized that a new part of a current area we already have permission for will now be open to dig (an area previously off limits to us) and we feel good about it. Second, we scored some relics.

Working an area of iron and debris, I managed to first dig a two piece button and then a 1876 Indian Head cent out...it was odd as the debris showed a site from the 1600's & 1700's. Then finally a tombac showed up and followed quickly by another. With the day we were having, three buttons and a late IH actually would have made me happy. After some odds and ends (musket/pistol balls) misc. brass, etc. a nice treat surfaced when I unearthed an 1859 Indian Head "fatty." It is in nice shape and I was fairly content...that was until My loop was touched by Christ.

After digging another button and some other odds and ends, I came across a ratty but mixed-good signal. 12" later, the end to a copper Apostle Spoon surfaced (the Master or Christ). These date from the 1400s-1600's and this one (found it on UKFD) seems to date 1500s-1600s. This site dates to the 1630's so it is safe to say, this one is old. I was very pleased to find it, and was ready to head back, until...

As I worked a small slope and after digging another button, a nice solid cast 1600's nipple button surfaced and shortly after that, the trifecta happened when I dug a nice early 1-piece convex navy cuff button. This made 8 buttons for the day and all came in the final 2 hours at a new location...not a bad way to salvage the trip!

1859 IH fatty
Early US Navy
1500-1600's Apostle Spoon End

It was a successful start for the season indeed. For those who wonder why we call the 1859-1862 IH "fatties" I included a photo to show the difference.

Looking forward to some silver, but I will take this start any day!

HH

Dan

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 238
  • 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 220
  • 1c.JPG
    1c.JPG
    431.7 KB · Views: 216
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 203
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    522.2 KB · Views: 213
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    451 KB · Views: 209
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    438.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    505.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    410.5 KB · Views: 195
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    601.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    392.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    645.5 KB · Views: 201
  • 1o.JPG
    1o.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 22

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great start dan!, I always love looking at yours and Bill D's posts this time of year as I know its going to be chock full of colonial greatness

looking forward to more, great finds!!!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan that apostle knop is simply awesome! Such a cool symbol of colonial history. Congrats on a great one bud. Glad you and my buddy Bill are back at it

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt Dan and glad you guys salvaged your trip. That spoon handle and navy button are incredible. Can't wait to see what you two dig up this year.
-Brad

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to ask what a nipple button was, but I saw the pic...and what else COULD you call it? That is a great start for your digging season. If it's any indication, your autumn will be a memorable one.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going to ask what a nipple button was, but I saw the pic...and what else COULD you call it? That is a great start for your digging season. If it's any indication, your autumn will be a memorable one.

HA HA, you know I pause every time I find one and post them, but then again, that is what they are called even in the books.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a great start for your autumn hunting season. :thumbsup: You sure dug plenty of targets in that area.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Dan - I'm still excited about that awesome apostle knop spoon handle! Even though we were finding a few 1600s relics at that spot, I think that recovery caught both of us by surprise. What a great way to start the new season, and hopefully it'll be the first of many early colonial artifacts that will find their way into our pouches over the next few months. It was great to get out on a gorgeous fall-like day after all these months, and I enjoyed the comradery as usual.

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great stuff man. Hope I'll be nippin' at your heels soon. keep it up!

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible stuff, Dan. :notworthy:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan - here's an excerpt out of one of my books showing what a whole apostle spoon would look like. And below that is part of one of those handles I found a few years ago, but obviously yours is a much better specimen.

apostle spoon.jpg

apostle2.JPG

apostle1.JPG

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great stuff, if I ever found a place like that my family would have to call out the rescue squad thinking I fell off the face of the earth.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome dig Dan. In reference to Bill's book, do you see any evidence that the spoon had a silver wash originally? Also loving the buttons. Congrats

Steve

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure we haven't had one yet - good find.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome dig Dan. In reference to Bill's book, do you see any evidence that the spoon had a silver wash originally? Also loving the buttons. Congrats

Steve

Thanks Steve - yes it was silver washed (or it appears to have once been).

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure we haven't had one yet - good find.

Thanks Cru - I am very pleased with it and I agree, you don't see them dug very often. This was my first, and to be honest when I dug it, I knew what it was, but could not even recall the proper name (I was thinking saint something). See them in books, this is the first I personally saw dug, though i've seen a few dug examples. Heck the UKFD has only 4 on it.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Cru - I am very pleased with it and I agree, you don't see them dug very often. This was my first, and to be honest when I dug it, I knew what it was, but could not even recall the proper name (I was thinking saint something). See them in books, this is the first I personally saw dug, though i've seen a few dug examples. Heck the UKFD has only 4 on it.

I have a theory. That the odds in an early US site are increased because many who fled there where doing so under Religious persecution.

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a theory. That the odds in an early US site are increased because many who fled there where doing so under Religious persecution.

That is a great observation. Never thought of that, this site is extremely early (1500's coins have come from it) so it would have been a very influential family during the infancy of america.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread