Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! It's been a while since I've posted. I haven't been getting out much due to the heat & very dry, hard ground. We located a Civil War site this weekend we have been waiting to get on for quite a while (plowed fields, easyish hunting other than tobacco rows & stalks). I feel honored to be able to save this history. I know the group of soldiers that dropped these relics & the exact day they were camped on the site. It's all about the history for me! In total we recovered about 20 bullets, 2 j hooks, piece of a belt keeper & a lot of camp lead. I also found a few broken Native American artifacts while detecting which is always fun. It's not a belt plate or anything great but it's special to me. Any help with the unknown relics would be great, I can post additional photos if needed. HH! finds.png lead.png unknown.png unknown1.png arro.png

Upvote 18

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Thanks for sharing, I will be braving the Heat this weekend to go Detecting. goldnugget

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can relate mangum, we know a lot of the history from the Union camp we hunt. When they were there, some of the units, etc. The Union retreated from this camp then the Confederats came in so we find relics from both sides (mostly Union) its cool to me to pull a relic from the ground then stand up and look around and just imagine what took place. Found a VA seal button once that would have been with Jackson's troops. Was he a prisoner or there ransacking the camp? Makes you think. I love it!! Nice finds. Congrats

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Josh. Nice Civil War relics

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Isn't it awesome to so some research, get permission then find what your looking for?
Thats what makes this hobby so much fun!
George

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. I'm almost sure the object on the far right in your unknowns is a Lincoln cent but I will wait for the experts to authenticate it!:laughing7: As for the others could the convex round piece be a button? And, is the tube hollow? If so it could be a primer for a artillery shell. I have nothing on the other two pieces.

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very, very cool that you can trace your site's history to the very day they were there.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great civil war finds, those cleaner bullets are really cool, I like the indian artifacts aw well!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are getting warmer to the good spot! Great finds

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Isn't it awesome to so some research, get permission then find what your looking for?
Thats what makes this hobby so much fun!
George
It is very rewarding indeed. It's a big difference finding something randomly (that is very cool as well) vs. finding something that's documented & you can attribute to a specific event in history.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A great start to fall MG!! I have seen the long skinny brass relic that looks like the stem of a safety razor identified as a cased pen in Crouch's book and an oil can (minus the top) in Lord's Encyclopedia. WTG, Q.

OP
OP
mangum

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great start to fall MG!! I have seen the long skinny brass relic that looks like the stem of a safety razor identified as a cased pen in Crouch's book and an oil can (minus the top) in Lord's Encyclopedia. WTG, Q.
Thanks for the info!. I was thinking it could be part of a pen or mechanical pencil. If it's not too much trouble would you mind sending me a photo of the page in Crouch's book you referenced? Thanks!

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds love to find a cleaner bullet one day. Nice to come across the worked stone. Congrats on the hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds Mangum. I feel the same way about the history I dig up and its really awesome you can pinpoint these relics so exact. VOL1266-X's post had me interested and I always like learning about this stuff, so I flipped open the Crouch book to take a look. It certainly does look like those pens in there. Great to learn about something new and thank you VOL1266-X :thumbsup:

Since I had it opened and in front of me I figured I'd send the photo. Hopefully this is the correct page, but it looked like it to me.
IMG_20150916_123423.jpg

smittyman

Jun 6, 2012
Charlotte NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Josh! It makes those finds so much more personal to know something about those who left them behind all those years ago.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info!. I was thinking it could be part of a pen or mechanical pencil. If it's not too much trouble would you mind sending me a photo of the page in Crouch's book you referenced? Thanks!

Look at the 4th pen from the left on the top MG. That trumps my one .58 from yesterday & 3 bullets this am-LOL HH, Q.

Attachments

• img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    480.8 KB · Views: 92

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread