14K Ring and 5+ carats of cubic zirconia dissapointment! 3+ Nitro needed to view!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach at low tide today and the tgts were pretty scarce, I ran into a couple other hunters and was getting the thumbs down from everyone. I was about to turn around when I decided to move up a little higher and see how the beach looked further on and right as I got near the high tide line a nice solid 12.09 comes up on the CTX. The way things had been going I figured it for a really good piece of aluminum or something like that, big surprise was waiting only one scoop deep! Of course I was struck by the sheer size of this iceberg but, skeptical/hopeful at the same time. I saw it was marked 14K and thought, ok MAYBE there is a chance........a trip by the local jewelers store put the matter to rest, a 5 carat cubic zirconia and all the baguettes on the sides (prob another 1-2 carats) were CZ's as well. Though I was holding that new bathroom the wife wants right there in my hand! At least the gold is real, 6.1 grams total weight, no idea how much of that is fake ice but it's gotta be at least a gram. Emma was also happy with her new "beach seasoned" tennis ball I picked up along the way.

Just to torture myself a little bit more, I looked up diamond prices just on 5 carat stones of this same cut and it would have been anywhere from $12,000 for a crummy one and $147,000 for a perfect one! Ahhh......****, maybe next time eh?

DSC_2682.JPG DSC_2685.JPG DSC_2687.JPG DSC_2689.JPG DSC_2705.JPG DSC_2693.JPG DSC_2700.JPG DSC_2710.JPG DSC_2707.JPG

Upvote 14

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! What do you think a ring like this would be worth then? I didn't think the CZ's were in the best of shape and were scratched up. Can they be "buffed out" and have the scratches removed?

Still working on getting the dog to dig, if it's not a ghost crab or a "cat treat" she doesn't dig much...what I need to do is teach her to sniff out gold and silver!

Hey Doc, if the stones are badly scratched it's not a good thing.
Take some ammonia and put it in a plastic bottle and give the ring a good shake up and rinse with water and see if that cleans it up. Doubt be afraid to shake it up really good because the stones hitting plastic won't damage them.
In my area of NY I would retail that type of ring at $1500.00. That same ring in quality diamonds would be around $8000.00.
I always ask more then I expect to sell it for because a customer is always going to try and bring you down in price. Jewelers and Attorney's have two things in common, both are there to take your money and very few are honest.
You can't expect to get retail value for it but you will most certainly get more for the ring in a private sale then you could in scrap as it is not a junk ring and many people today simply can not afford high quality diamonds, so the ring does has value.
The ring can easily be re sized to fit anyone for about $ 100.00 on the high side if a Jeweler has to add gold to make it fit and less if he takes gold away to make a smaller ring size.
I would post it on your local Craig's List asking $600.00 and work down in price leaving it to the buyer to re size the ring if need be.
Some young couple that doesn't have a lot of money will want it.
It didn't cost you anything and you will most certainly get more money then scrap for it and make some young couple happy.
Let me know how you make out on cleaning it up.

Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang too bad it was CZ...

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I think I would have had hart attack digging that up,but like you said at least the gold is real...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit the beach at low tide today and the tgts were pretty scarce, I ran into a couple other hunters and was getting the thumbs down from everyone. I was about to turn around when I decided to move up a little higher and see how the beach looked further on and right as I got near the high tide line a nice solid 12.09 comes up on the CTX. The way things had been going I figured it for a really good piece of aluminum or something like that, big surprise was waiting only one scoop deep! Of course I was struck by the sheer size of this iceberg but, skeptical/hopeful at the same time. I saw it was marked 14K and thought, ok MAYBE there is a chance........a trip by the local jewelers store put the matter to rest, a 5 carat cubic zirconia and all the baguettes on the sides (prob another 1-2 carats) were CZ's as well. Though I was holding that new bathroom the wife wants right there in my hand! At least the gold is real, 6.1 grams total weight, no idea how much of that is fake ice but it's gotta be at least a gram. Emma was also happy with her new "beach seasoned" tennis ball I picked up along the way.

Just to torture myself a little bit more, I looked up diamond prices just on 5 carat stones of this same cut and it would have been anywhere from $12,000 for a crummy one and $147,000 for a perfect one! Ahhh......****, maybe next time eh?

View attachment 1213995 View attachment 1213996 View attachment 1213997 View attachment 1213998 View attachment 1214003 View attachment 1213999 View attachment 1214000 View attachment 1214001 View attachment 1214002

... :notworthy:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Should be illegal. Buy CZs are still worth something.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Emma is beautiful!

Thanks! She's a good dog we have had her now since March (rescue) She's pretty good off the leash and I may start taking her on more of my beach hunts.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice Rusty! I'll give it a shot and see how it comes out! WOW! $1500 for gold and fake ice, even at $600 I'd be happy! LOL

Take some ammonia and put it in a plastic bottle and give the ring a good shake up and rinse with water and see if that cleans it up. Doubt be afraid to shake it up really good because the stones hitting plastic won't damage them.
In my area of NY I would retail that type of ring at $1500.00. That same ring in quality diamonds would be around $8000.00.
I always ask more then I expect to sell it for because a customer is always going to try and bring you down in price. Jewelers and Attorney's have two things in common, both are there to take your money and very few are honest.
You can't expect to get retail value for it but you will most certainly get more for the ring in a private sale then you could in scrap as it is not a junk ring and many people today simply can not afford high quality diamonds, so the ring does has value.
The ring can easily be re sized to fit anyone for about $ 100.00 on the high side if a Jeweler has to add gold to make it fit and less if he takes gold away to make a smaller ring size.
I would post it on your local Craig's List asking $600.00 and work down in price leaving it to the buyer to re size the ring if need be.
It didn't cost you anything and you will most certainly get more money then scrap for it and make some young couple happy.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A real heart stopper for sure! A very nice looking one too!

I feel your pain.

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, really badly scratched, chipped a bit too in some spots, one the baguettes is missing as well but they are all scratched too. No problem! Still have some gold to scrap, unless anyone has a 5 carat diamond and a couple carats in baguetts they need a setting for! lets make a deal! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread