14K Ring and 5+ carats of cubic zirconia dissapointment! 3+ Nitro needed to view!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit the beach at low tide today and the tgts were pretty scarce, I ran into a couple other hunters and was getting the thumbs down from everyone. I was about to turn around when I decided to move up a little higher and see how the beach looked further on and right as I got near the high tide line a nice solid 12.09 comes up on the CTX. The way things had been going I figured it for a really good piece of aluminum or something like that, big surprise was waiting only one scoop deep! Of course I was struck by the sheer size of this iceberg but, skeptical/hopeful at the same time. I saw it was marked 14K and thought, ok MAYBE there is a chance........a trip by the local jewelers store put the matter to rest, a 5 carat cubic zirconia and all the baguettes on the sides (prob another 1-2 carats) were CZ's as well. Though I was holding that new bathroom the wife wants right there in my hand! At least the gold is real, 6.1 grams total weight, no idea how much of that is fake ice but it's gotta be at least a gram. Emma was also happy with her new "beach seasoned" tennis ball I picked up along the way.

Just to torture myself a little bit more, I looked up diamond prices just on 5 carat stones of this same cut and it would have been anywhere from $12,000 for a crummy one and $147,000 for a perfect one! Ahhh......****, maybe next time eh?

DSC_2682.JPG DSC_2685.JPG DSC_2687.JPG DSC_2689.JPG DSC_2705.JPG DSC_2693.JPG DSC_2700.JPG DSC_2710.JPG DSC_2707.JPG

Upvote 14

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still a real beauty :occasion14:

pl8man

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
San Jose , California
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT PRO with Sunray probe, M6 with a Super 12 coil & a Whites Quantum II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly smokes !!! I would have just fell over and died if I dug that ! Sweet find , next time it will be real !
Glen

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the dog is happy, nice gold!

Rustynailsandscrews

Sep 26, 2014
Salem, NY
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and a BH 505 that I let friends and relatives I don't like use.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens a lot. CZ'S set in good Gold settings. I'm a part time jeweler and many women like CZ because it is very flashy and very rainbow like in reflecting light. Typically females that like big flashy rocks will request CZ. The difference between price point of a high quality diamond and CZ are huge. My wife herself likes her 3 carat Diamond. It's still a nice find and don't scrap it because it is not junk jewelry. Don't listen to the Jeweler and find out the ring size and sell it privately. You will get more for it that way. Have you trained your dog to dig your holes for you ? I'm working on training mine!

Last edited:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, she's a beauty all right, too bad about the stones.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are the finds that bring the cliche " love/hate "
relationship to mind.
I like "WhatIFind's " reaction to finding stuff like that.
Turn away, savor the moment, and then check it out?

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that brought a big grin when you saw it:laughing7: still a great find! :thumbsup:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Doc, that thing is awesome! I can just imagine how it felt seeing the 14k hallmark and thinking those had to be diamonds. Dang! Well it is still a beauty and it is GOLD!!! Congrats!
TFS and HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That happens a lot. CZ'S set in good Gold settings. I'm a part time jeweler and many women like CZ because it is very flashy and very rainbow like in reflecting light. Typically females that like big flashy rocks will request CZ. The difference between price point of a high quality diamond and CZ are huge. My wife herself likes her 3 carat Diamond. It's still a nice find and don't scrap it because it is not junk jewelry. Don't listen to the Jeweler and find out the ring size and sell it privately. You will get more for it that way. Have you trained your dog to dig your holes for you ? I'm working on training mine!

Now that is good advice. I would not go the scrap route either. Might get more if you do decide to sell. Nice hunt!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
man...I feel ya..pulled a nice 14k 3ct cz.gonna sell it at my anual jewelery sale.Funny that I got a smallish 925er and the dang stones(small for sure)are real...just never know.A beauty either way..:occasion14:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Doc that's a beauty but a shame.. Good to see your still tearing it up!

Most of the big rocks rings I have found have either been Plat, or 18k or both...Think I did find one a smaller 1carat last year that was 14k..

mikeraydj

Bronze Member
May 19, 2014
Montana
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Deteknix X-Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember when I almost had a heart attack when I found CZ gold.

WP_20140713_001.jpg

Still was one of my favorite finds.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, I remember seeing something like that at the bottom of my scoop. With the sun reflecting off the water and stones it seemed like the shiny gold was even bigger than what it was.
When I got it home,, I found out the stones were fake and it wasn't even gold.
Congrats on a nice save.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EVEN MANS BEST FREIND LOOKS DISSAPOINTED .....

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya already know just how special finding a ring like this is, and even zircons cost. Especially with that much craftsmanship.

I gotta question. Now, tell me, just why, this isn't "Banner" worthy? Cause the stones are not real?!?!

I think it would look VERY pretty up there!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the advice! What do you think a ring like this would be worth then? I didn't think the CZ's were in the best of shape and were scratched up. Can they be "buffed out" and have the scratches removed?

Still working on getting the dog to dig, if it's not a ghost crab or a "cat treat" she doesn't dig much...what I need to do is teach her to sniff out gold and silver!

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Emma is beautiful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread