Quick hunt at a new site. Cap gun and button identification. HELP!

GavinoGambino

Oct 14, 2014
Twin Cities
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did a quick sweep at a new site yesterday and from what i pulled from the ground looks like ill be headed back.

Need help in identifying though. The cap gun is unlike any cap guns ive found before, anyone have any idea on this one? Also, this anchor button, is it navy?Ive found some like it before but im just curious to know if its military. Its 28mm and is a 2 piece (back is rusted off). Any info would help! Trying to date this site! Thanks guys

IMG_0315.JPG

Upvote 3

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange anchor on that one, whats the back like? Pretty sure its not British.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Steel back makes it more likely a mid-20th C blazer button. It doesn't have that military look to me.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm no expert... Crusader is an expert.

I was told that the older buttons have brass backs, that usually stay intact. Newer buttons have brass face and steel back, so inevitably, the new ones have no backs, because they rusted away. Yours looks rusty from the pic.

I hope that this is helpful, and I wish you the very best of luck.

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cap gun looks like an older cast iron one from probably the 20's or 30's, however it's hard to say exactly. Try to put it in electrolysis, and maybe a name will appear from under all the rust.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no expert... Crusader is an expert.

I was told that the older buttons have brass backs, that usually stay intact. Newer buttons have brass face and steel back, so inevitably, the new ones have no backs, because they rusted away. Yours looks rusty from the pic.

I hope that this is helpful, and I wish you the very best of luck.

Thanks, but not really, I defer to IP. I just find a lot & like to know what all mine are. Military for me is weak, as I never invested in the books. The money going on other more important books (In terms of my Library priorities).

Steel backs did occur in some late 19th C Buttons, but as a general rule they are post-1900. So, the steel-back is the first alarm call & the odd shaped anchor was the second. I know its not British, but can't rule out Spanish (for example), however I think its unlikely.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread