A few Indians, a little Silver, and a mystery Medallion (DWV Hunt)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on a DWV hunt Sunday (Digging With Vino). Actually, after communicating with George regarding his recent sword belt find, he invited me over to Philadelphia to help him dig and sift a suspected trash pit and surface hunt the property of the 1793 house where he found it. George was hoping to find the keeper to the buckle, which I understand he JUST FOUND this morning. Here is a pic of George picking through the siftings and a picture of the house on the property.

Well, as soon as we got into the “trash pit”, I recognized from my bottle digging days that it was just a shallow surface dump of furnace ashes and 1920s era broken bottles. This was confirmed by digging a test hole which in which we hit undisturbed sub-soil about one foot deep. At this point we turned to surface hunting, but George and PA Sleuth had already hit the place twice, and the finds were sparse and pretty much all modern. George did get 4 or 5 Indians in one hole which he gave to the property owner who had showed up unexpectedly and indicated that she wanted everything we find. I got a pretty nice 1865 Indian head.

From there we went to several more old properties and finished the day at a house that was built in 1754 that George had recently got permission for, but had not hunted yet. Although the yard was rather small we both got a number of finds, and although they didn’t date to the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century, it was fun digging. George dug a beautiful silver cufflink with a flower pattern and a silver quarter. I got a ball button, Indian head, dateless SLQ, and probably my most interesting find – a large pewter medallion that was about 8 inches deep. It has a lot of detail, but I only did some preliminary cleaning until I can get it identified (hopefully). Then I will decide how I want to proceed with it. For the time being it is in a plastic bag with wet dirt from the yard where it was dug.

George on sifter duty
George sifting.jpg

This house looks like it's holding all kind of secrets
View attachment 1214778

I got some scrap brass, copper, and lead to add to my scrap metal buckets.
Junk.JPG

My Coins. Was hoping for some large cents or older coppers, but it was not to be on this day. The places we hunted were old enough, but neither of us got a copper.
Coins.JPG
1865.JPG

Lead toys were plentiful though.
Lead toys.JPG

More of my recoveries
Keepers.JPG

I am most curious about this pewter medallion. It was found in the yard of a house built in 1754 and it has obviously been in the ground a long time judging by the condition. i only gave it a preliminary cleaning until it is (hopefully) identified. If it is something important, I will try to be very careful cleaning it. I have heard that Lime Away will remove/loosen the encrustations, but I have never tried it on pewter. This medallion is 1.54" diameter or 39.1 mm.
Medallion Front.JPG
Medallion Front 2.JPG
Medallion Back.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that trash pit didn't pan out - George told me about it on the phone and it sounded really promising! And maybe I should have taken him up on his hospitality before you got the DMV hunts shut down for the rest of us! :laughing9:

Its good to see an positive ID on the token - a nice cool piece right there! :thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DAMN WHAT A NEAT TOKEN FIND AND ID ...

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those DWV hunts are becoming legendary haha! What great looking OLD property to have permission on, I would have goosebumps being able to hunt there. I can see why you'd be hoping for colonial finds, but the stuff you found is really good.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1865 IHC is very nice looking

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds would make our day here for sure!!! Great looking green Indian!!!!!!:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions