A GHOST TOWN TYPE OF DAY!! A LARGE SURPRISE!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a couple of weeks since we have been able to post anything cool we have found. This was day six with the new DEUS and I must admit; I have never dug more bottle caps in my life!!!!!!! The E-trac; no problem. This thing loves old nasty, rusted pieces of tin and bottle caps. I know they say you can hear the difference but I'm still learning. Have scored some wheats and tax tokens though the E-trac missed.......so onto our hunt!

My hunting buddy and I were without the kids yesterday cause of school!! HaHa! Decided it was a road trip day to explore new places. We left Lassen County at 0600 hours and arrived at our first location around 1000 called Vernon, Nevada. The ground looked good with lots of broken glass, garbage and other signs of a busy town around 1900. Three hours later..100 bottle caps and round tin roofing disc:BangHead: ...nothing. Not even an Indian Head to show. We move onto another ghost town about an hour away. Again, lots of purple glass, buttons on the ground but again, nothing.:dontknow:

We get ready to leave and come to a Y in the road. I say pick the way home. If we go right, nothing to see. If we turn left, we can metal detect another hour. So left it is and we hit a ghost town called Sulphur Nevada. Have had good luck there in the past but very, very trashy. Start in an area where I have found Mercs, Indians, Wheats and Buffalo's. I did a lot of digging with the DEUS and pulled out a couple thimbles, some old keys and other junk I missed with the E-trac. Then I get the loud, crisp signal with a reading of 97! I think to myself, great; another piece of rusted tin or a large rusted nut or washer. I dig down only about 2 or 3 inches and see the disc in the hole and think its another large washer.

I bend down to pick it up and see no hole. I pick it up to give it the 100 yard toss until I see the familiar ridge.........Flip her over and see a large, gray Liberty Head looking back at me!!! 1921-S. Cool. This is my third Morgan but this was my first true SILVER coin with the DEUS. (Do have an OD Nickel but hey, ya know :laughing7:) I must admit; I have been digging every signal with this thing and what was surrounding this coin were no less than 5 pull tabs! Not a one interfered with the reading the DEUS gave me. So now I know my silver coin finds will slow down a bit cause I just hexed myself finding a big one!! :laughing7: Thats ok. Thanks for looking and have a great day of digging!!!

Attachments

• sulpher1.jpg
    sulpher1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 190
  • sulpher2.jpg
    sulpher2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 177
  • sulpher3.jpg
    sulpher3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 179
  • sulpher 4.jpg
    sulpher 4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 179
  • sulpher5.jpg
    sulpher5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 182
  • sulpher 6.jpg
    sulpher 6.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 49

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the heck out of the Deus Fast, Tones at 4/5, Iron Off. Son likes the basic with 4 tones. Still feeling her out!:laughing7:

Right on, that Fast program is really good. I'm sure you'll find many more great things with that machine...its treating you so kindly already!

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Basque Man,

Awesome! I can't wait to go out with you guys. Gonna be after the first of the year, but I'm gonna go. Here's what I'm working on in the limited spare time I have. So you'll know I'm not just sittin' here doin' nothing. Port Townsend 196.JPG

That is an incredible coin! Congrats.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just had to come back and look that that beauty again!! Awesome dig, made the days hunts well worth it:thumbsup:

Thank you LD. It has some great detail with a dark gray patina. I only used some soap and water and left the dark gray tone. We are lucky around these parts since we don't seem to have a lot of competition md'ing!!! These large dollars were used in parts back in the day. Still waiting for that CC on the back of one though!:laughing7:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Still looking for one of those myself.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's nothing like digging a silver dollar. Welcome to the club, and congrats on a Beautiful coin. Mine's a 1921 as well.

Cheers,

Buck

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, don't complain so much about possibly jinxing yourself or not finding a CC one! Some of us have never found a silver dollar. Great find. I wish you well with the new machine.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man that's sick...ur lucky not too many people find Morgan's let alone silver dollars...its on my bucket list..hopefully one day I'll be lucky enough...but awesome day man!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Ghost Towns have a reputation for being pretty stingy for giving up old coins - Great Find ! Woo Hoo !!!!!

I hunt a ghost town and I've only found 4 coins. Maybe 35 to 40 hours per coin, but they've been good ones.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Big time congrats to you, especially for finding your third Morgan- still looking for my first and been at this for 24+ years.

-- Jeff --

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread