A GHOST TOWN TYPE OF DAY!! A LARGE SURPRISE!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a couple of weeks since we have been able to post anything cool we have found. This was day six with the new DEUS and I must admit; I have never dug more bottle caps in my life!!!!!!! The E-trac; no problem. This thing loves old nasty, rusted pieces of tin and bottle caps. I know they say you can hear the difference but I'm still learning. Have scored some wheats and tax tokens though the E-trac missed.......so onto our hunt!

My hunting buddy and I were without the kids yesterday cause of school!! HaHa! Decided it was a road trip day to explore new places. We left Lassen County at 0600 hours and arrived at our first location around 1000 called Vernon, Nevada. The ground looked good with lots of broken glass, garbage and other signs of a busy town around 1900. Three hours later..100 bottle caps and round tin roofing disc:BangHead: ...nothing. Not even an Indian Head to show. We move onto another ghost town about an hour away. Again, lots of purple glass, buttons on the ground but again, nothing.:dontknow:

We get ready to leave and come to a Y in the road. I say pick the way home. If we go right, nothing to see. If we turn left, we can metal detect another hour. So left it is and we hit a ghost town called Sulphur Nevada. Have had good luck there in the past but very, very trashy. Start in an area where I have found Mercs, Indians, Wheats and Buffalo's. I did a lot of digging with the DEUS and pulled out a couple thimbles, some old keys and other junk I missed with the E-trac. Then I get the loud, crisp signal with a reading of 97! I think to myself, great; another piece of rusted tin or a large rusted nut or washer. I dig down only about 2 or 3 inches and see the disc in the hole and think its another large washer.

I bend down to pick it up and see no hole. I pick it up to give it the 100 yard toss until I see the familiar ridge.........Flip her over and see a large, gray Liberty Head looking back at me!!! 1921-S. Cool. This is my third Morgan but this was my first true SILVER coin with the DEUS. (Do have an OD Nickel but hey, ya know :laughing7:) I must admit; I have been digging every signal with this thing and what was surrounding this coin were no less than 5 pull tabs! Not a one interfered with the reading the DEUS gave me. So now I know my silver coin finds will slow down a bit cause I just hexed myself finding a big one!! :laughing7: Thats ok. Thanks for looking and have a great day of digging!!!

Attachments

• sulpher1.jpg
    sulpher1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 190
  • sulpher2.jpg
    sulpher2.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 177
  • sulpher3.jpg
    sulpher3.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 179
  • sulpher 4.jpg
    sulpher 4.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 179
  • sulpher5.jpg
    sulpher5.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 182
  • sulpher 6.jpg
    sulpher 6.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 49

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! Ghost Towns have a reputation for being pretty stingy for giving up old coins - Great Find ! Woo Hoo !!!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG BM. Congrats on that Awesome coin. :occasion14: I'd take one of those over an OD nickle anyday.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find BM! I have never found one. Envious, envious and just plain jealous.

The Deus loves the rusty bottle cap! There is a trick to cure that ill though. If you hunt in 12Khz, all you have to do is set up a program exactly like the one you hunt in, only difference... 4Khz. When you hit a high tone, push one button, switch to 4Khz, if the number stays high, then it is rusty iron, if the number drops, then it is not. It might be aluminum, but it won't be a rusty bottle cap. If you want more detail, or any other tricks, just PM me. I don't want to bore you with my tips, if you already know them... and I am not happy that you found a Morgan dollar, and I have not! Dang man...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Morgan Dollar club & congrats. That's a great looking coin.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ,that was quite a nice surprise for sure.A silver dollar from how old of a ghost town?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could have had 10 nails in the same hole with no probs, long live the Deus.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ,that was quite a nice surprise for sure.A silver dollar from how old of a ghost town?

It was a RR siding that was deserted around the late 40's. It started around the late teens and didn't last very long. Small hotel, store, diner and a handful of homes that straddled the tracks.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that's one way to break in the deus!, sweet find!!!

congrats on that sucker!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BASQUE NICE LOOKING MORGAN .....

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, beautiful find! Props to you for your hard work, digging some much junk. I'd have given up so much sooner. Guess that's why I don't find too much! I was spoiled where I used to live.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Something that's still on the wish list after 45yrs is to dig a silver dollar, congrats on the beauty and what a first with the Deus.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Don't see those to often in the ground!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a sharp looking Morgan! Congrats on breaking in the Deus with a gorgeous BIG silver.

I got my Deus in the Spring, and like you I dig a ton of rusty bottle caps...dug probably 20 tonight lol. I sort of have them figured out, but I can't not dig them...I need to know!

What program are you running?

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that is a sharp looking Morgan! Congrats on breaking in the Deus with a gorgeous BIG silver.

I got my Deus in the Spring, and like you I dig a ton of rusty bottle caps...dug probably 20 tonight lol. I sort of have them figured out, but I can't not dig them...I need to know!

What program are you running?

I have been using the heck out of the Deus Fast, Tones at 4/5, Iron Off. Son likes the basic with 4 tones. Still feeling her out!:laughing7:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had to come back and look that that beauty again!! Awesome dig, made the days hunts well worth it:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread