First Gold/Diamonds

C

Carl in CO

Found my 3rd ring. It is my first gold and first diamond representation. It's not much, but always a thrill to find a ring! The stones lit up in the sun, but not indoors, so I seriously doubt they are real diamonds. It is marked 14 K on the inside. Why is it tarnished and a copper color if it's 14k? Does it mean it's not really 14 k gold and a fraudulent stamp? Or, does something like copper make up the remaining 10 k (40%) composition? Anybody know what the blue stone is?

Attachments

• gold ring blue stone.jpg
    gold ring blue stone.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 374
Upvote 0

dudes2112

Jan 25, 2005
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
I would be inclined to think it might not be gold at all. Never heard of gold that tarnished. Even gold nuggets you find straight out of the ground seem to have the nice yellow sparkle to them. Not real sure though. Not sure what the blue stone might be either.

Dudes

Keith IL

Jan 8, 2004
Try hitting it on a grinder with a cloth wheel and jewelers rouge (can get both at hardware store, just ask).Gold can get cruddy if its sitting in the right kind of gunk for awhile,I've pulled up 2 rings I almost tossed in the junkring pile but my wife said hit it with the wheel and Bamm they shined right up. If you don't have a grinder use a dremel with cloth wheel

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only gold I ever saw tarnish like that is 10K. Still a Cool Find. Rings always are :)

OP
OP
C

Carl in CO

Keith, thanks for the advice, I might give a buff a try. However, I have to agree with Cedarrat. That 14K stamp is as real as the stones in it and the Easter Bunny.
You know somebody could have been nice and given me a rendition of Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Clause.
Yes, Carl that is a gold ring......
;D

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Right on Carl....Keep hittin' them rings! No matter what it is, it looks old. May have some antique value. WTG Carl~CO2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread