🥇 BANNER CLOVIS! My Oldest Find EVER!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Two days later and I'm still just as giddy as when I found this.

Monday after work I decided to take a little drive down to Massachusetts to a colonial farm site along the Connecticut River where I have had some luck with my detector. After swinging the coil for a while in a lower field and only turing up a few flat buttons, I decided to try my luck in the upper field which had recently been turned over. The soil was really dry and the dust was awful. Disgruntled, I figured I would do one more pass hoping to dig at least one good keeper for the day. I always look down when I'm detecting, so its not uncommon for me to find the occasional arrowhead or flake, but what I saw laying on the ground shocked me. Staring up from the dusty earth was the most perfect point I had ever seen. I just about through my detector and shovel in excitement. I didn't even think to take an in-situ picture, I just picked it up and kept saying "oh my god, oh my god." In my hand I held my very first Paleo point, this wonderfully fluted Clovis! The point is 4 1/8" long, 1 1/2" wide. I can't wait to get back there and search for more!

Attachments

• IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 606
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 630
Upvote 100

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Phenomenal find! Great job keeping your eyes peeled. Would have been a shame to walk over that beauty. I was digging a high signal last year that ended up being a small picture frame and pulled a Native American artifact out of the dirt while I was digging. Just a complete coincidence find. Looked like a less refined version of your artifact. A few Tnet members suggested it was a Clovis preform. Congrats on making the banner.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So glad you posted this in both forums. I would never have seen it if it weren't in this one. Gorgeous.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's the fastest I've ever seen a banner go up! Congrats dude

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got in from class and see that you made the banner. Congratulations sir.

That is one of the oldest made by man artifact that you can find in the USA. It makes everything else look like yesterday. Paleo when man hunted the wholly mammoths, mastadons and saber tooth tigers in Vermont!
10,000 to what 13,000 years old.......? I like that you had your detector with you when you found it :laughing7:
Well you can tell I was excited to see such a nice specimen.:occasion14:

Last edited:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok so my first comment was ok...but i was ignorant to the fact of what this really was...after doing some research thats amazing and with the shape of it and how perfect it is...its something really special and a very fine example of a clovis point!!! amazing find!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AMAZING!!!! Oh my gosh, it's in perfect condition too!!! Imagine who used that thousands of years ago! Congratulations!!!!

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Holy *&^%$ OBBF! That thing is beyond AWESOME! Those a RARE anywhere and particularly here in MA. Certainly that is one of the FINEST fluted points that I have seen found in MA. That is museum quality. Huge congrats to you!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost seems impossible after all the time in the world that has passed for something this perfect and hand/rock crafted to still exist in this condition. it looks still like was crafted yesterday. You can see the time and effort that went into this amazing artifact. Good job!
Anybody know a retail price on something like this?

Keep it up!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful shape and what a beauty, for its age. Somebody made this beauty back 13 000 years ago. You have my vote, thanks for showing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like it may be Onondaga Chert. Anyone have any thoughts?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find! How it survived the plow and tractor tires intact for so long is hard to believe. I'm glad you rescued it :thumbsup:

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, my. You were the first human being to hold that Clovis point for over 13,000 years. Just a staggering thought.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible- find of a lifetime! Big time congrats!!

-- Jeff --

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, my. You were the first human being to hold that Clovis point for over 13,000 years. Just a staggering thought.

Yessir, my thoughts exactly. I love finding points while detecting but that one would have left me speechless. There's a quarry south of me where a lot of Clovis points have been found and I would kill to get in there. Congrats OBBF!

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a simply fantastic find. Congratulations

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is freaking incredible. I can't stop looking at it! The craftsmanship. The size. Awesome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread