All Treasure Hunting
Whoa, that's an incredible find!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan that's a KILLER find buddy! One that I'm dying to find. Congrats my friend on a Banner find

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a thrilling find! You need just a bit more enthusiasm :sleepy2: for such a fanstastic find, even if this is your second GWI. Where’s the excitement? :blob1::blob3::blob6::blob7: Yes — your modesty is admirable, but how about a little bit of a cheer? :hello2: That’s an awesome find with so much history attached to a specific historical event.

Washington's_Inauguration.jpg

I don’t believe there is much interest in distinguishing among the three different varieties, which is determined by spacing of the GW initials. All the varieities are valuable, but no one variety is exceedingly rare. I believe that these buttons, even the dug specimens, easily demand $2000 - $3000 a piece. Does your button still have the shank attached? There continues to be strong demand for GWI buttons by collectors of buttons and early Americana. Auction prices really provide insight on the value of such pieces — what someone is willing to pay make the winning bid. I was really surprised to see the $6000 hammer price for a GWI sold earlier this year.

image.jpeg

It’s the same variety as you found, and the $6000 specimen had some issues with its condition - dings or blemishes. I guess a GWI button can really demand a substantial auction price if you have two bidders fighting it out to make the winning bid. Congrats on a great find. Keep it coming. You have my vote for banner.

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
That's a thrilling find! You need just a bit more enthusiasm :sleepy2: for such a fanstastic find, even if this is your second GWI. Where’s the excitement? :blob1::blob3::blob6::blob7: Yes — your modesty is admirable, but how about a little bit of a cheer? :hello2: That’s an awesome find with so much history attached to a specific historical event.

View attachment 1218603

I don’t believe there is much interest in distinguishing among the three different varieties, which is determined by spacing of the GW initials. All the varieities are valuable, but no one variety is exceedingly rare. I believe that these buttons, even the dug specimens, easily demand $2000 - $3000 a piece. Does your button still have the shank attached? There continues to be strong demand for GWI buttons by collectors of buttons and early Americana. Auction prices really provide insight on the value of such pieces — what someone is willing to pay make the winning bid. I was really surprised to see the $6000 hammer price for a GWI sold earlier this year.

View attachment 1218602

It’s the same variety as you found, and the $6000 specimen had some issues with its condition - dings or blemishes. I guess a GWI button can really demand a substantial auction price if you have two bidders fighting it out to make the winning bid. Congrats on a great find. Keep it coming. You have my vote for banner.

thaNks for the info "STC" , i'll try an work on my enthusiasm :laughing7:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow super nice button! Congratulations!

Steve

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut

Coinsniffa

May 21, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done!!!:occasion14: Nice cleaning job too. Nothing like finding a GW button!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MAN WHAT A NICE GEORGE WASHINTON TOKEN ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread