A chilly day in the woods, and found an interesting buckle.

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was grey and cold here so I went for a hunt in the woods. I wasn't finding anything but junk, and more junk, and I was feeling frustrated. I found some lead musket balls including one strange shaped one, looked just like a dog's tooth, but it's lead. Found some neat old, big nails.

Found a coyote den with cat bones, feathers, and just the jawbone of a dog (or coyote) all laying around the mound outside the hole, which was interesting.

As I was making my way out, I hit a patch of nails on the trail, they were old ones, so I slowed down and got a good repeatable signal from underneath the root of a big pine tree in the path, which was difficult to get under. Anyway the interesting buckle was under there, it has a star, and smaller stars around it. If anyone has insight into the age of it I'd love to know about it. Also the tooth shaped lead.

The broken button I found not 10 yards away, I wish it wasn't broken, oh well. IMG_20151003_181816.jpg IMG_20151003_181606.jpg IMG_20151003_181723.jpg IMG_20151003_191446.jpg

Upvote 10

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking finds.. I hope someone can identify the buckle

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the very nice buckle recovery.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting buckle and it certainly is old. Also don't you hate those shotgun shell ends? Perfect Indian head signals...

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of a decorative suspender buckle. I like the design. Nice finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool looking buckle, it's different so I'm liking it.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sweet buckle...best guess early 19th c. ladies waist buckle...only a guess tho

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I didnt want this thread to get away right yet without some investigation..:unhappysmiley:
How thick is it?Is it heavy brass or early 20th century thin toy belt buckle?
Reason im asking is i know in the Civil War era the Massachusetts Corps Of Cadets used the star in a circle Logo on there buttons..

Could be there buckle in that case this would be a rare killer find..:thumbsup:

~Blaze~

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the good info Johnny and all, I have zero experience with buckles so I measured the thickness of the stamped brass, it is 1/16 of an inch thick. Did they ever wear buckles like this in places other than the belt line? Perhaps suspender buckle, like Evolution said, or maybe even for decorative purposes? I ask because the orientation of the eight-pointed star makes me think this was worn coming down over a shoulder instead of across a waist. It's definitely not sturdy enough to hold a big leather belt.. but seems like it could be used to attach something smaller.

I found it in the same general area as the unidentifiable 18th century copper that I found a few weeks back, and within a few yards of the old flat button (the broken one, on the left in my pictures). So I think it may be about the same age...

Thanks for all your thoughts on it.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
RUSTIC MAN I LIKE THE HECK OUT THE BUCKLE . LOOKED IN MY BOOKS BUT NOTHING SHOWED UP NEEET FINDS YOU HAVE THERE.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread