Little Red School House

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, after countless visits to a pre-1900 decommissioned school house, I have finally finish the site. I came away with some goodie silver items, a few time pieces, a couple dud rings, about 20 wheat pennies (oldest 1910), some $17 in clad and (as expected) a few children's nick-knack items. There are a few items I can't identify (the sterling sheild, joker emblem, deco screw top, etc). Maybe you can? The pocket watch item was particularly cool to find, but it had no innards. :sad10: Happy hunting all.

The School:
red.jpg

The catch:
DSC07097.JPG DSC07102.JPG DSC07099.JPG DSC07100.JPG DSC07101.JPG

Upvote 20

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice variety. Does that Sterling shield have any trace of pin on the back?? It might have been a brooch.

OP
OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
What a neat batch of finds....love the silver!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice items, would love to know what the shield turns out to be from. The shamrock and joker looking item is a Girl Scout item, I found one early this summer and another member a day or two later posted one. Pocket watch, even like yours, is still very high up on my list of wants!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There appears to these eyes to be letters at the 2 o'clock position on the reverse of the shield.
Can you make them out?
Perhaps they are the same letters as on the face ('Sterling')
Don....

You are correct, it is the "Sterling" stamp from the back.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BOY THERE MIST LIKE THE OLE POCKET WATCH AND THE SILVER PEICES NEEET FINDS .....

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds and love that sterling shield....its awesome!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The item to the right of the 664 tag is a piece from the kids game of 'jacks':
Traditional Jacks from otherland
Also known as Jackstones, Jackrocks or Knucklebones...

The traditional game of Jacks is very old and was probably played as far back in time as the ancient civilizations of Egypt and Greece - and perhaps even further back than that. It was a child's game born out of imagination, at a time when there were very few purpose made toys for kids.
Source:
How Retro.com: Jacks Game
Don....

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs. How many hours did you put into that site to come away with all that booty? Hows' the Platinum performing. I was looking at that model, it was not available in my companies awards catalog so I got the BH LRP with the DD coil as my new backup/loaner detector.

OP
OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool digs. How many hours did you put into that site to come away with all that booty? Hows' the Platinum performing. I was looking at that model, it was not available in my companies awards catalog so I got the BH LRP with the DD coil as my new backup/loaner detector.

All total I would say about 25-30 hours, in 1-3 hour increments. Kinda annoying at times with the place being re-roofed and the roofers jamming loud heavy metal music. Couldn't hear the pinpointer at times!:angry3:

The BH Platinum work wonders. Working with a 11" DD coil, I am astounded sometimes at the tiniest of small trash it picks up, 6" or 7" down, with a solid signal in all directions. It's got great discrimination between objects in crowded spaces even while swinging fast. It knows how to find coins, for sure. If I had to nit pick, I'd say it's need improvement when ground balancing. I always GB before starting, and the manual says to find an area free of metal (duh). Unfortunately, if the soil is wet or moist, it tends to think there's metal everywhere :cussing: Eventually i get it to respond, but it can try my patience sometimes.

You'll have to let me know how the LRP behaves. I'm partial to BH sticks and I'd like to think I have the best BH product they build, but would love to hear about something better.

I like your posts and the items you find. I like to think you and are on the same plain of discovery and methods. Good luck to you and thanks for the post! Go Badgers :laughing9::icon_salut:

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the silver itemize holes? If so it could be one of those things that ladies use to hold their hair with. They would maybe put their hair up in a bun and then use that plate and slide a pencil or something through there to keep the bun in place. Just a thought

OP
OP
Alchemist

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the silver itemize holes? If so it could be one of those things that ladies use to hold their hair with. They would maybe put their hair up in a bun and then use that plate and slide a pencil or something through there to keep the bun in place. Just a thought

the plate has no holes in it, but does have a very textured edge on all sides. I'm beginning to think it's part of something bigger and simply fell off. What that bigger item is, though, is a mystery.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt and finds ! Old schools are some of the Best search area . HH

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have finally finish the site.

I must challenge this statement, period. No you have not!

I don't care if you detect there for years, you haven't finished the site.

I suggest on your return you walk your path perpendicular to your first searches, and then later pick spots to grid it out.

Another concern would be whether you used the Pioneer 202 on any parts of the grounds. It appears the 202 uses a concentric coil versus a DD. The impact of that is that the signal sent into the ground is cone shaped - the deeper you go, the smaller the signal. It would be extremely easy to miss targets at depth. A DD coil sends a full width signal into the ground regardless of depth - so you cover a heck of a lot more territory.

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

Go back! Go back!

Last edited:

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, keep up the effort always nice the see a fellow sheboyganite have success metal detecting....

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was that a permission sight? I've never gone there thinking it was private or at the time used a daycare. Again great work.....

L

l2hunt

you cleaned up well, no doubt you were the first one to hit that property!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread