Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Due to the flooding in SC I was forced to try out some higher ground near Gheenoe78 and I's Rev War honey hole. I've worked the area briefly in the past, but quickly got discouraged by the amount of trash deposited by previous storms. While today was no different, lots of trash did give way to a killer find- Revolutionary War 37th Regiment of Foot button! The button has some edge loss however a faint border is present, 16mm in diameter, heavy lead/pewter composition, with a 37 centered on the front. The reverse has the remnants of a shank and possibly the benchmark of R L?

1.jpg 2.jpg 20151005_210703_resized.jpg 20151005_210841_resized.jpg

A bit of info on the 37th: In April of 1776 they joined in the unsuccessful campaign of Charleston, SC in May and June. By 1777 they had joined Howe's main army for the New York campaign, including Long Island and Fort Washington. The closest match in Troiani's book is example p/q pictured below.

IMG_20151005_214135939.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Upvote 13

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
07 THATS SOME BAD STUFF GOING ON DOWN THERE , WE MISSED IT HERE BUT HAD A LITTLE FLOODING . MAN I WOULD LOVE TO FIND ONE OF THOSE , BEEN ON THE BUCKET LIST ALONG TIME. NICE FIND ..

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, good job on the ID!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding find Jon.
You have a uncanny way of finding these pewter/ lead.
And to find one you can read is fantastic. Way to go on the 37th. Still looking for my reg button..lol.
I might just have yo come down south to get one???
George

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope everyone is alright down there that flooding looks horrible! But great find in the mist of all that chaos!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding find Jon.
You have a uncanny way of finding these pewter/ lead.
And to find one you can read is fantastic. Way to go on the 37th. Still looking for my reg button..lol.
I might just have yo come down south to get one???
George

Thanks George, I chase alot of lower signals that most folks would probably walk by. I do dig alot of small lead and alluminum but every down and then it's something great.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice save on the button!

You mentioned lower signals ??-02/05's, then there's the 09-11 that have produced interesting results.

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button Jon! Glad y'all survived this awful weather! Good thing is with all this rain our heavily hunted sites might be worth hitting again! Good luck and congrats on a super nice find.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find John! You'll have a full batallion of British buttons soon! 37th reg buttons don't pop up too often! I think you should share what other reptilian friends you saw back there too cause of the flooding. You won't catch me back there any time soon!!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find John! You'll have a full batallion of British buttons soon! 37th reg buttons don't pop up too often! I think you should share what other reptilian friends you saw back there too cause of the flooding. You won't catch me back there any time soon!!

Haha thanks Gheenoe, forgot mention the 2 copperheads and 1 cotton mouth who got way to close to the site I was working. The things we do for history...lol

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! Awesome button!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice button Jon! Glad y'all survived this awful weather! Good thing is with all this rain our heavily hunted sites might be worth hitting again! Good luck and congrats on a super nice find.

Thanks Darby, Gheenoe78 and I are hoping to exploit the fresh erosion this weekend.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks J, truthfully when it came out of the ground I just figured it was a lead seal...little cleaning revealed the 37

If it's a button it's a new variant, which can happen... but if it's dense like lead, along with the fact it's different, and in addition to looking like it does have something on the other side, I think it may be a seal. Sure looks like it could be some type of coat of arms with a crown a the top.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg2.jpg
    Image1.jpg2.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If it's a button it's a new variant, which can happen... but if it's dense like lead, along with the fact it's different, and in addition to looking like it does have something on the other side, I think it may be a seal. Sure looks like it could be some type of coat of arms with a crown a the top.

Thanks for weighing in IP- not sure that I see the impression of anything on the back other than what resembled an R and L on the edge. I have dug lead seals in the past, but the composition and density is slightly off on this one. I did consider a lead seal, but the 37 script is spot on, centered, and the dimensions at 16mm with edge loss closely a line with 16.6mm in Troiani's reference. Is is possible that it is a cast lead alloy button? Not sure if I have come across any documented British or American regiments casting lead buttons. Is the cavalry button you posted on my Loyalist thread of lead composition?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for weighing in IP- not sure that I see the impression of anything on the back other than what resembled an R and L on the edge. I have dug lead seals in the past, but the composition and density is slightly off on this one. I did consider a lead seal, but the 37 script is spot on, centered, and the dimensions at 16mm with edge loss closely a line with 16.6mm in Troiani's reference. Is is possible that it is a cast lead alloy button? Not sure if I have come across any documented British or American regiments casting lead buttons. Is the cavalry button you posted on my Loyalist thread of lead composition?

You don't see an outline for a crown at the top on the pic I posted? It's as clear as the "R"

Casting in lead would certainly be an exception, and maybe unlikely for a British button, but I'm sure it's plenty possible. Size doesn't really matter as the buttons vary so much a seal would always fall into range unless it's too big. Continental Light Dragoons are cast in lead, but of course they are the other side so not really relevant. There might be other examples in the book but I don't recall any. I do have an early style anchor cast in lead and with the shank missing it's hard to same whether it was American, or French, but I have seen quite a few dug in France and never a lead one... and lead is closer to pewter, so I guess it might be American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread