SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday's finds including a cool 1700s British trade weight

With all the rain and flooding of the past few days a memory, my hunting partner Dan and I finally made it back out into the fields. Dan already provided the background on the hunt site, as well as our guest and new friend, so I'll get right to it. Although I was not able to put my coil over a coin, the finds were still fairly plentiful in spite of this site being pounded for the last 3 years. This probably had a lot to do with the recent peanut harvest which is one of the very few ways to get the soil turned over just a bit. This can be particularly helpful in iron patches as the slightest movement of the soil can rearrange how the targets are positioned, and help with the masking problem. I'd have to say my best find of the day was another 18th century bronze/brass British trade weight. This is the 4th one of these I've dug over the last few years, and I find them very unique and interesting. All of the marks on it are readable which I think I'm correctly summarizing below:

- the dagger/sword at the top signifies city of London authority for the weight
- the "A" represents the Averdepois system (16 oz to the pound)
- the ewer (looks like a coffee pot or urn) at the bottom is the mark of the Founders company which authorized the weight
- on the right is a crown over a "G" which is probably the mark for King George III

Another cool find I made was this thin brass ring with a stone, which is the 3rd ring I've recovered from this site. Hard to date but I expect is could go back to the late 1700s. It's fragile and I'm afraid if I try to bend it back into its original shape it'll break. I tried putting it in hot water for a while, but it still was risky so I left as is. A couple of interesting buttons also surfaced, and both had designs on the obverse and drilled eye shanks on the back. And lastly, what I thought was just a scrap piece of metal turned out to have a design of sorts. The pics don't do it justice, but it almost looks to me to be a bird resting at the bottom of the "V" which may be a branch. Other opinions welcomed. Anyway, hope we get one more chance to hit this site before the winter wheat is drilled, but that'll be any day so we might have to wait until next year. It would be a shame to not take advantage of the ideal hunting conditions present now, but it's beyond our control.

Attachments

• 100515a.jpg
    100515a.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 100515b.jpg
    100515b.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 100515c.jpg
    100515c.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 144
  • 100515d.jpg
    100515d.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 137
  • 100515e.jpg
    100515e.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 145
  • 100515f.jpg
    100515f.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 18

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the ring.
Should check the stone even though it is set in brass.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - I can only imagine what finds you produce this fall season. The trade weight is an excellent find. I found a couple myself, but I had to go to England to get them - not the same thing as finding them on a colonial-period site. Excellent finds. Keep those impressive finds coming. :notworthy:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's one huge trade weight Bill, must of been used to weigh that cob.:laughing7: Good to see you got the cool over the field finds again for the fall season. The ring is really a nice find, and agree it'd probably snap if you tried to bend it back.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great relics Bill!! Man I've been killin it lately.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the trade weight....got a couple too and will look great displayed!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great weight and like the larger button as well... just a little too early for us to find here unfortunately for us. But this is no different than most of your posts because in almost everyone I see things that aren't realistic to find here, so they really are some great early sites!

pen

Apr 7, 2015
Ardmore, AL
Detector(s) used
Deus, AT Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That weight is awesome! Out of curiosity, did you throw it on a scale to see how close it was?

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great weight and like the larger button as well... just a little too early for us to find here unfortunately for us. But this is no different than most of your posts because in almost everyone I see things that aren't realistic to find here, so they really are some great early sites!

Thanks IP. This hunt was at a mid-1600s site, and the one that's given up 20+ pieces of colonial silver including that Cromwell silver penny I found 2-3 years ago. The finds are dwindling as the place has been hit hard, but its a huge field and I'm sure there are spots that haven't been properly gridded. Gotta be a few more oldies hiding there, but our window for the season may already have closed due to planting.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That weight is awesome! Out of curiosity, did you throw it on a scale to see how close it was?

Since these weights were supposedly manufactured using the Averdepois system (ounces and pounds), I was expecting this weight to be come out very close to an exact number of ounces. But when I put it on the scale it measured 3.80 oz which is odd. I also have a similar one I dug a few years ago, and that one weighs in at 3.93 oz. So not sure what's going on. I also have 2 much larger ones that are too big for my jewelry scales as you can see below.

trade weights1a.jpg

trade weights1b.jpg

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Troy ounces ?

Can't be troy ounces as these weights were all manufactured using the avoirdupois system (ounces and pounds) where 1 avoirdupois ounce equals 28.3495 grams. And that's exactly how my jewelry scale computes the weight.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since these weights were supposedly manufactured using the Averdepois system (ounces and pounds), I was expecting this weight to be come out very close to an exact number of ounces. But when I put it on the scale it measured 3.80 oz which is odd. I also have a similar one I dug a few years ago, and that one weighs in at 3.93 oz. So not sure what's going on. I also have 2 much larger ones that are too big for my jewelry scales as you can see below.

View attachment 1220152

View attachment 1220153

Bill, 0.13oz difference isn't much. Its a little more than the weight of a modern US Cent. Could that weight difference be within the tolerances they had for weight in the 1600's? Or maybe one was weighted different on purpose for a trade advantage? (aka: stealing!)

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding as always

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill, 0.13oz difference isn't much. Its a little more than the weight of a modern US Cent. Could that weight difference be within the tolerances they had for weight in the 1600's? Or maybe one was weighted different on purpose for a trade advantage? (aka: stealing!)

I know with the small coin and apothecary weights they had to be really accurate, but for these larger weights I'm sure there was some accepted level of tolerance. So you might be right on that Brad. Good observation!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The weight is a great find Bill. Looking forward to seeing that one in the display this winter. You are due for some silver, hopefully next hunt.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread