Upvote 11

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a bunch of nickles! And the majority with readable dates and in good condition to boot. The camp ground soil conditions must be really neutral. And a lot of pennies, but no dimes or quarters? Make me wonder what was going on at this camp ground in the 30's. Did I miss another thread with the story?

OP
OP
victhedog

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Stroudsburg Monroe co. PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Specra V3I, Whites Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pennies

4-1941
3-1942
1942d
1943d
2-1948

1951d
4-1953
2-1955
1956d
1957d

Attachments

• 1950s pennies.JPG
    1950s pennies.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 1940s pennys.JPG
    1940s pennys.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 125

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow man where in PA are you? i never found nothing that clean in the ground. did they come from a cache or something? where they inside of a old building in the woods? ive just never saw nickels and pennies come out that clean!

OP
OP
victhedog

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's a bunch of nickles! And the majority with readable dates and in good condition to boot. The camp ground soil conditions must be really neutral. And a lot of pennies, but no dimes or quarters? Make me wonder what was going on at this camp ground in the 30's. Did I miss another thread with the story?

yes this is my second day at the site
few dimes still cleaning
so far 2 quarters
some old steel and ??? stuff
Ground is dry and sandy (strange for this area thinking it was a lot of fill to soften ground)

thinking I'm first person to work area (not much trash)

first post was :
[h=1]Went hunting today in rain at old campground[/h]

thanks for reading

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every single Buffalo I have ever found has been very dark brown or even black.

OP
OP
victhedog

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow man where in PA are you? i never found nothing that clean in the ground. did they come from a cache or something? where they inside of a old building in the woods? ive just never saw nickels and pennies come out that clean!

I'm up in the Poconos north east PA

Its a old campground Thinking some of the area was Cabins no longer there
everything was cleaned before photos taken, But coins are better then most I have dug up before soil is very dry

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow; what a great spot and great hunt.

You definitely need to go back to that one.
Congrats.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrific spot ! Because of the amazing number of old coins you just pulled , I don't think the site has been hit much by other
metal detectorists (even cherry pickers would have dug the cent signals because old silver dimes hit like that too !) Which makes
me wonder why you aren't getting more silver dimes ? If that many larger coins are lost , there ought to be way more silver
dimes ?

OP
OP
victhedog

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrific spot ! Because of the amazing number of old coins you just pulled , I don't think the site has been hit much by other
metal detectorists (even cherry pickers would have dug the cent signals because old silver dimes hit like that too !) Which makes
me wonder why you aren't getting more silver dimes ? If that many larger coins are lost , there ought to be way more silver
dimes ?
So far only 5 dimes ??

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're doing great. I wish the soil was like that around here. I've never found a buffalo or a v nickel that looked like those. Here' the ones I found over the weekend.

nickels 10-3-15.jpg

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're doing great. I wish the soil was like that around here. I've never found a buffalo or a v nickel that looked like those. Here' the ones I found over the weekend.

View attachment 1220147

Don i live about 20 minutes from this guy and mine look the same as urs do....im really considering an ultrasonic cleaner as well...the results are astounding

Vic...Where did u get the ultrasonic cleaner and does the brand matter? i got some time on my hands and id love to clean up some of my finds... Is there a special solvent for the cleaner?...

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can wake up now. That was a dream hunt. You dug the whole herd and pulled 5 V's. :notworthy: You have a great place to play.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Don i live about 20 minutes from this guy and mine look the same as urs do....im really considering an ultrasonic cleaner as well...the results are astounding

Vic...Where did u get the ultrasonic cleaner and does the brand matter? i got some time on my hands and id love to clean up some of my finds... Is there a special solvent for the cleaner?...

I want what vic has too! Mine always come out like the above but oft worse. Vic what tumbler and equipment do you use and what's the process?

OP
OP
victhedog

victhedog

Jun 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have a small cleaner (got at a garage sale for a buck) just use dish soap (dawn)
tumbler is a 5 pound Vibrator Tumbler with Green Plastic Lite Media
just need to keep eye on process

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread