First silver coin, First civil war button, 4 wheaties and a token! Great day!

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought my Garrett 350 July 29th, 2015 and have been putting in work!

Today I got out at 4 p.m to dirt fish a really old part of town and finally found my first silver coin. I've been dreaming of this day and it finally happened after a couple of months. 1959-P Rosie

image.jpg

I also found my first Civil War button at the same location. It's got a New York seal, eagle above a shield with the word EXCELSIOR underneath - reverse side reads "extra" and something that I cannot make out? Please forgive the picture quality.
image.jpg image.jpg

Here is a link to better pictures - Ridgeway Civil War Archive Buttons from New York

And finally, at the same site found 4 wheats 1949 x 2, 1952 & 1953 as well as a game token - reads "games people plays" - see a few on eBay but cannot date it. Any help?

image.jpg

Not pictured is 3 more pennies from the 60s and 3 square nails. One of them is huge. Biggest square nail I've ever seen.

As always, thanks for looking and I appreciate the likes. Don't know when I'm going to go to bed I'm pretty stoked still.

Upvote 14

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh yeah! Nice first silver...may it be the first of many!

Steve

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and congrats! Welcome to the club too we're want more story and more pics lol

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the first silver, and getting the nice button it seems that you're doing everything right.

OP
OP
SirWalterRaleigh

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I honestly had a hard time going to bed last night as I was so stoked ... Still am!

^thanks pepperj, I'm just listening and following the directions of all those with lots of experience. Joined my local club and have spent hours reading and researching.

I still have a whole lot to learn but I can tell you one thing, you're never going to find anything unless you're out there swinging and digging

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Finds SWR..
That first Silver you will remember ( Hmmm, I can not recall Mine) Well it's one of two I recall.)
The NY Button is Always a Welcome Sight, Great that It stayed together, those 3 piece buttons many times don't hold up well after 150 years , I found a Couple Faces , Backs??? Only 1 Whole One . That I 'most likely' broke into pieces while kicking through the English Ivy (that I loathe) the inside of the Face was Shiny like new.
Glued it back together, This is one of my Favorite button finds Cause of where it came From .

Also love your Spunk & passion for the Everyday life things. That IMO are cool to find.
Davers

OP
OP
SirWalterRaleigh

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks davers. My dad is a history buff and it's in my blood too. Have relatives that fought for the patriots of the revolution and the confederacy. I love this hobby and am excited to preserve a little history.

Was finally able to clean the button and take some professional shots of it. Hope everyone enjoys it. An awesome find for me.
image.jpg

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great that your first button was a STATE button! Welcome . . . !

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a great couple of firsts!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done SWR! That first silver coin find is something to remember. I got my first one on April 5th 2014... It took about three months to find that one. I got better at finding them, and have found 124 since that day! Keep at it, and you too will find more of them.

Nice buttons too. The part after "extra" is probably the word "gilt"... means that is was gold at one point.

Best of luck to you!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt.
Put that Rosie in a coin holder and put the date and place where you found it on the face of the folder.
That coin will always hold a special place in your Meal Detecting Heart. Congrats

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats man...I dug a few NY camps in Raleigh over the years and NY cuffs seemed very common, but hardly any coats. Depending where you are hunting you might be very near one of those camps man.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Huge congrats on your first silver!! My first one was a 1961-D Rosie, which I still have, so I can totally understand your excitement. I hope you find lots more!

-- Jeff --

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

46Wheat