too many wheaties, not enough silver

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disappointing day today. Do you ever have days where the lack of silver coins is dumfounding? ??? Boo hooo. I went to a new site today. I knew it was old and started in the 1920s. I found a 1934 tax token, 6 wheat pennies, a 1947 and '40 nickel. I also found a sterling silver child's ring: unsure of the decade.

With all these wheaties, where is the silver??? :icon_scratch: So weird...
Think I should try again? I searched far and wide for hours, literally...

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

***********************************************************************************************************
Thank you all for your encouragement! Is there such a thing as silver withdrawals? I think I had that the other day lol It's fixed now though as I pulled this pretty one out of the ground today! I also got 3 wheaties... :headbang:
IMG_4332.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 11

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even today people lose more pennies than anything but the others will fall so yes there will be silver......Still a good day!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just look at it like ur getting all those wheats out of the way to get the deeper silver!

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your comments! There is a lot of trash at this place, 1-2 inches in the ground. There are pull tabs and beer bottle caps everywhere. I think it would help if I went through and got a lot of those out of there so that I can hear better. Perhaps that's what I should do! I didn't have the patience yesterday to get like 100 pull tabs out of the ground lol

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes , Lily ("there is a Santa Clause ") Seriously , You have the right idea ! with a great machine like the Deus - take your
time , relax , enjoy the journey - most detectorists bail out of the heavy trash - You'll score !!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling all that wheat. Grid them and hit both sites in 2 directions. Be sure to detect around shrubs and behind them. I have learned to slow my pace and to overlap sweeps more than in the past and yet when I hunt in the second direction I usually find more coins. Then go back and hit the sites after a good soaking rain. Good Luck

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the ring is a nice bonus.... good luck finding the coins that shine

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much everyone for your comments! Argentium, yes that's a good thought! I think that's true too! Hopefully I can get all the trash out of there! Locco-Digger: good tips! I tried that today and guess what? It rained last night and the ground seemed to be better. The first round across, I didn't hear anything. The second time? I did!

Here's a start! 1941s :) View attachment 1220744

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice pile of coins!, good job on the merc, one of my favorite designs of us dimes!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing at all wrong with that hunt.
That Merc is beautiful and that old silver ring is a great find.

All of those wheaties are just a bonus. Congrats on a great hunt.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see pics of that ring. It looks awesome from what I can see. Personally, I like silver jewelry much better than gold. The contrast between shine and dark with silver adds depth and definition to a design so much more. So far this year, my silver count has been very disappointing. Good luck on your return trips.

greatwun

Feb 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! Keep searching. Even when I'm only finding clads I still stay in hopes of getting silver.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job getting that merc ! My first merc was also a 1941 - in a large park in Santa Fe - maybe 8 years ago .

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on The Merc,,, I won't tell you to ignore any targets but I find that the steel bottle caps ring in at 91.
64 is a nickel, and 93 to 97 is definitely in the silver range. Do you recall what the Mercury dime came in at?

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Against the wind: bottle caps are so annoying! But I can tell they are caps instead of something good as they sound flat. They do ring up between 89 to 94. Do you know what I mean by the flat sound, though it rings up at 92?

The Merc. rang up as a 92-94 and had the nice whistle-like tone instead of flat!

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett 424: Thanks! I would love to find out the decade the rings is from. Maybe I should post more pictures...

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dude: I am going to post more pictures of the ring! You do? I have yet to find my first gold anything...So far, it's so hard to tell gold from trash. I think it's the kind of detector I have. That's too bad about your silver count...That's always frustrating. Maybe it's the sites you're going to? Sometimes certain sites just suck or have been detected to death.

greatwun: exactly! Thanks!

Argentium: Cool 1941 huh? I have two 1941s now....It seems to be a popular year :) That's cool. It's hard to forget your first Merc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread