A fannypack full of pulltabs and bottle caps + THIS = a "REAL" good day...

whithill

Jun 11, 2014
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dear Mr. Homeowner. Thank you for NOT letting me dig your precious lawn. Undaunted, I went to that crappy-looking lawn down the street where I dug a heap o'trash... then this.

:laughing7:

So: I know the basics -- an 8-real piece, 1792. Any other info you can tell me? Thanks! Whit in Nashville

photo (21).JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Upvote 23

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you kidding me?!?! That's phenomenal!!! As far as being found in TN. It wasn't dropped new, and with the wars up and down that river, I'm betting it was circulated well into the 1800's. Dropped 1812?

Great find!!

Steve

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont even know what I would do after finding something so glorious. I'm really happy for you!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks real enough, but what worries me a little is the punched nail hole (at least not square, so much younger). Often tokens & counterfiet coins were punched in the middle to take them out of circulation & to show others they were 'cancelled'. Maybe just weigh it to be sure.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks real enough, but what worries me a little is the punched nail hole (at least not square, so much younger). Often tokens & counterfiet coins were punched in the middle to take them out of circulation & to show others they were 'cancelled'. Maybe just weigh it to be sure.

The planchet has a flaky look to it, especially in front of the portrait, and a total lack of denticles on the OBV. tells me something. I will bet it is substancially under weight, (27 grams) and that there is no edge design on it.

What the edge should look like.
edge-2.jpg
Also there should be 2 overlaps in the design, usually two rectangles next to each other 180 degrees apart.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice score

OP
OP
W

whithill

Jun 11, 2014
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Dan! THanks. I'm pretty stoked. For the record, I'm a lady digger -- not that it matters, but we're pretty unrepresented. But anyway, thanks for WTG.

OP
OP
W

whithill

Jun 11, 2014
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there. No, the first homeowner was friendly enough, but kind of glazed over when I asked permission. Awkward!!!! Merc was from elsewhere. For the record, and not that it really matters, but I'm a girl digger. :-)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The planchet has a flaky look to it, especially in front of the portrait, and a total lack of denticles on the OBV. tells me something. I will bet it is substancially under weight, (27 grams) and that there is no edge design on it.

What the edge should look like.
View attachment 1220870
Also there should be 2 overlaps in the design, usually two rectangles next to each other 180 degrees apart.

Yeap, looking again the edges do look wrong.

OP
OP
W

whithill

Jun 11, 2014
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy. Yeah I dug it around the corner from my house. Site is right near a tall bluff over the Cumberland. Lots of colonial activity in the area. I find musketballs, flat buttons, tombecs, colonial-era coins, with regularity. A village was established in the late 1700s right nearby but there is no trace of it anymore. Oh, and not that it matters, but I'm a "she"! One of the handful of lady detectorists in town. THanks!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy. Yeah I dug it around the corner from my house. Site is right near a tall bluff over the Cumberland. Lots of colonial activity in the area. I find musketballs, flat buttons, tombecs, colonial-era coins, with regularity. A village was established in the late 1700s right nearby but there is no trace of it anymore. Oh, and not that it matters, but I'm a "she"! One of the handful of lady detectorists in town. THanks!

No reason that this can't be a circa 1800 counterfiet, many 8's were copied. I found 1 in the UK, but its not as convincing as yours, assuming I'm right. Can't you check the edges & can you weigh it?
I only see a detectorist not a male or female, we are all the same in this hobby, but like you say you are a minority. It might be explained by the traditional hunting role that the male had, many of us are fishermen & hunters, its in our blood.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WTG Whit, I can't wait to see your coin " in person!" :headbang:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there. No, the first homeowner was friendly enough, but kind of glazed over when I asked permission. Awkward!!!! Merc was from elsewhere. For the record, and not that it really matters, but I'm a girl digger. :-)

Thanks For the Extra Info... Good to know you are a Lady digger , so I won't use words like Dude, "Hey Man", Sir, etc.
Awesome Find ,again hope it's the real Deal.
We need more Lady Diggers ..ie. My Wife. lol
Davers

Looking again at the Title, "Fanny Pack" says A-lot.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The Site Sounds Good for Such a Coin, IMO Even a Counterfeit from the late 1700's or early 1800's would be a Super Find.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions