Here is the results of my first month ever metal detecting

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For our anniversary my wife bought me a metal detector. She gave it to me at the beach (we were married at the beach, so went to the beach for our first anniversary.)

Everyone wanted me to use it there, but having never used one before, I didn't want to make a fool out of myself..so I waited until we got home, and a week or so later took it out of the box after work and started walking around my backyard. The unit is an Ace 350.

At first, I read online somewhere that they said to dig everything to get used to the signals. I found a lot of junk. ;)

Correction- I found a LOT of square nails. The first one I found, I thought it was really neat- I said to my wife- I think this is old. I read online that they are handmade. Well, the coolness wore off after I dug about 30 of them. Uggh.

I found a horseshoe, (real, not the game)..I found a dog tag from 1970, I found what I believe to be part of a watch band that has some logo riveted on to it. I found what I think might have been an old lead bullet (mushroomed heavy piece of metal). I found another horseshoe.

So, I was wondering, and even said to my wife- when do you think I will find my first coin? Well, the next night or 2, after work I found a flat round piece of metal. I rubbed my finger on it, trying to see what it was. I didn't see anything on either side. I figured it must be construction scrap- like a knock out of an electrical box or something.

I brought it in, and washed it off in the sink. It was indeed a coin. Check that box. :thumbsup: With the water on it, and catching it in the light just right- I couldn't believe what I was seeing- 1897 Indian head!! Holy crap. I never thought my first coin would be soo old. Coin, Indian head, 1800's...3 boxes at once!

So at this point, I decided that coins are what I want to dig- because they have dates and that is awesome. So I am focusing on trying to only dig clean solid signals on the coin range of the meter.

Ok, this story is getting long, so I will shorten it up- I have found 22 coins so far. Most is 1960's-1970's junk, like a 1966 dime, 1969 quarter. A few 1980-1990's junk. A 2000 quarter... checking off simple boxes, but all easy low hanging fruit.

My 2nd cool coin was a 1906 Indian head penny. Also in pretty bad shape- but cool. That is how I learned they changed size, it is smaller than the 1897.

Next cool coin- it was getting dark (I dig after work while I can)..and about 5 feet from my front walkway as I was heading in- detector goes nut. I cut a flap and flip it over- BOOM, a 1963 silver half dollar staring me in the face all bright and shiny! WHOA. Blows my mind that I have walked and mowed over that a million times and never knew it was there. First silver, first half dollar. Check & check!

4th cool coin was a few days ago- 1943 silver quarter. WW2, awesome. Check.

So today, I get home from work..grab the detector and head back down the driveway. I start at the edge of the pavement and turn on the detector. Immediately- before I even took a step- it goes nuts. I'm like WTF? I move it around- and yep, it is getting a strong signal- but is bouncing more than I typically like to dig..but is staying up on the coin area. OK- lets dig.

I pull out a decent sized round flat piece of mud. I can't tell if it is a coin or scrap again so I throw it in my bag and continue across the yard. At the other end, I get a good signal- dig out a coin. Turn around and walk back and about halfway- signal- dig- another coin. At this point it is getting dark. I head inside, pour myself a drink and hit the sink. First coin up- 1972 nickel. Meh. It's my first nickel, so check that box.. but common pocket change. Next up- lousy 1970's penny. Meh.

So I saved the larger round for last. I had let it soak for about 5 minutes in hot water to soften the mud and I start to gently brush it with a toothbrush. I start to see a guys face on it. Cool- so it is definitely a coin. Like my indian heads- it is in bad shape so you need to catch the angle of the light just right to see details.

I start brushing around the edge looking for letters. I see a B..does it say LIBERTY? What the hell kind of coin is this? (I know nothing about coins)

I brush some more.. nope, not liberty, it says Britan. Interesting. I have seen online that a lot of people find coins from other countries- Canada, Mexico, Germany, etc.

So I found my first foreign coin. Check off that box. :)

I continue rubbing looking for a date. Never, EVER would I have expected what I saw.

My British coin, which was literally a few inches from my driveway, about 2-3 inches below my grass- 1775!!

So technically I guess it is not foreign eh? :icon_scratch:

I can't be happier with my first month of detecting. My family and friends think I am crazy- and I can't understand how they don't share the excitement and want to try it themselves. I'm already looking around at upgrading the detector and then optioning different coils for it. :tongue3:

I am also going to leave my yard for my first offical metal detecting trip- I am meeting a forum member off here on Friday to go dig. Excited for that!

1897 Indian head penny- first coin, first Indian head, first 1800's

1906 Indian head penny

1963 silver half dollar- first silver, first half

1943 silver quarter- first WW2

1775 British half penny Really bad shape, but hell- it is older than our country!!

Upvote 26

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME FINDS!!! Yeah you have to dig a lot of trash to find the good stuff, you never know when something good is hiding as a pull tab or bottle cap. Be sure to check up on beach laws regarding metal detecting in your area. Some beaches are a nogo zone. Happy Detecting!!!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uh oh, sounds like somebody is getting downright addicted! I'd say you are off to a great start, those are some really cool finds. Welcome to the forum!

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds.
People go for years without
getting Half Dollars or an Indian Head Penny.
You did good! !

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14955t-and-motiv.jpg

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your first Indian appears to be a liberty nickel. 1897 cents are same size as 1906. Look at back and see if there is a "V" in center of coin. Great finds no matter what.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love how you can just see the 1775, lol.
Everything else is just green.

I love green

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Where do you live? My yard produced about $2 of clad total. You've found better stuff in your yard than I have total. Congratz!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1775 on the counterfiet halfpenny is not likely to be the date it was made, as they copied them some years later.

You had a great first month, you should have a good first year which is normally rare.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds and good range of dates. I would be happy to break the 1800's and 1700's would be fantastic. Congratulations on your first month detecting.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only hunt in the woods so It took me a year to find my first coin it was an 1838 large cent. I was permanently hooked from that point. Congratulations on your finds. I am glad to see that your enjoyment comes more from uncovering history then from the monetary value of the finds. You will no doubt enjoy this hobby the rest of your life.

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats excellent. I never even found an old coin in my 1st month. Just very modern change and junk.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADDICTION is what you have. Hooked and that is a good thing. Congrats to a beautiful start to a magnificent hobby!

mrktwiz

Mar 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job:icon_thumleft: my g/f took my metal detector to find nails near the stalls to protect her horses and I never got it back :BangHead:

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a month indeed. I agree that the first coin does NOT look like an Indian Head, I don't see any bonnet and looks like stars on either side of the date. Welcome to the hobby and TNET.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG DUBS YOU BE CLEANING UPS . NICES FINDS .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread