Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I'm up early to try to beat the rain that was predicted for the afternoon. I watch Channel 7 News on most days and their weatherman, (Bill Evans), is really a pretty accurate Meteorologist. He said this morning,, not to discount the entire day because the rain won't hit NYC until 1 P.M.
It's great that you can find a forecaster that can even put a time on when the drops will start falling. It is pretty important to me because I travel to most places on my motorcycle. The E-Trac is my weapon of choice and it doesn't get along with water at all. So I set the alarm on my cell phone for 12 P.M. and I'm guessing I should be good for a 4 hour hunt.
I cut down on travel time by hitting a local park. This place has given up silver but you really have to pay attention. The iron in the ground will keep you busy.
Although most of the targets were freshly dropped clad, I did dig some memorial pennies at 6 inches. Now that is where I would normally find a Wheat Penny. My 3 good targets for the day ended up being quite shallow. No deeper than 3 inches. It just goes to show you. Most really good targets are usually deep but not all.
Well,, the alarm went off at 12 P.M. but the weather was so nice I decided to stretch it for another 1/2 hour. Not smart. Bill Evans was right. After taking pictures of the trash I dug, hitting the bathroom, and then loading up the bike, it started to rain. Had I stopped hunting at 12, I would have missed the sprinkles. Without traffic, I was only 20 minutes from home. I decided to sit it out. The rained stopped after about a half hour and the sun came out, so I scooted home.
As I'm cleaning my finds, filling out my treasure log, and taking pictures, I notice that the sun is still shining. The sun stayed with us until about 5;30 P.M. and then it started to rain again. Bill said it would start about 1 P.M. and rain until about 7 P.M. Tomorrow's forecast is for a beauty of a day. I sure hope he is right.
My finds for the 4 hour hunt were: 11q, 19d, 6n, 22 memorials, 6 wheat pennies, (44, 45(2), 45d, 50, &56), a no date Buffalo Nickel, a 1958d Silver Rosie, and a Sterling Ring. (Less the stone and split at the back of the band).
My 2015 Silver Coin Count is now at 133 coins.

IMG_1732.JPG IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1734.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 9

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, that poor ring has been beaten. If it wasn't for the Sterling mark I can see, I'd think it was plated. We have a couple decent meteorologists here too that are usually right. If I really want to hunt though, I take the ATP and don't worry about the rain. Congrats on your finds.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs despite the weather distractions! Do you have a silver goal for the year?

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites coin master gt..ace 250&350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today I'm up early to try to beat the rain that was predicted for the afternoon. I watch Channel 7 News on most days and their weatherman, (Bill Evans), is really a pretty accurate Meteorologist. He said this morning,, not to discount the entire day because the rain won't hit NYC until 1 P.M.
It's great that you can find a forecaster that can even put a time on when the drops will start falling. It is pretty important to me because I travel to most places on my motorcycle. The E-Trac is my weapon of choice and it doesn't get along with water at all. So I set the alarm on my cell phone for 12 P.M. and I'm guessing I should be good for a 4 hour hunt.
I cut down on travel time by hitting a local park. This place has given up silver but you really have to pay attention. The iron in the ground will keep you busy.
Although most of the targets were freshly dropped clad, I did dig some memorial pennies at 6 inches. Now that is where I would normally find a Wheat Penny. My 3 good targets for the day ended up being quite shallow. No deeper than 3 inches. It just goes to show you. Most really good targets are usually deep but not all.
Well,, the alarm went off at 12 P.M. but the weather was so nice I decided to stretch it for another 1/2 hour. Not smart. Bill Evans was right. After taking pictures of the trash I dug, hitting the bathroom, and then loading up the bike, it started to rain. Had I stopped hunting at 12, I would have missed the sprinkles. Without traffic, I was only 20 minutes from home. I decided to sit it out. The rained stopped after about a half hour and the sun came out, so I scooted home.
As I'm cleaning my finds, filling out my treasure log, and taking pictures, I notice that the sun is still shining. The sun stayed with us until about 5;30 P.M. and then it started to rain again. Bill said it would start about 1 P.M. and rain until about 7 P.M. Tomorrow's forecast is for a beauty of a day. I sure hope he is right.
My finds for the 4 hour hunt were: 11q, 19d, 6n, 22 memorials, 6 wheat pennies, (44, 45(2), 45d, 50, &56), a no date Buffalo Nickel, a 1958d Silver Rosie, and a Sterling Ring. (Less the stone and split at the back of the band).
My 2015 Silver Coin Count is now at 133 coins.

View attachment 1220999 View attachment 1221000 View attachment 1221001 View attachment 1221002 View attachment 1221003

Bill Evans is no friend of mine

coltdavis

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2008
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! 133 silver coins in 2015!! hats off! That's one heck of a haul!

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A.T.W, should come up river, I'm surprised nobody busted your figs for hunting in the city.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted all over NY State, including the Stoney Point Conference Center. My oldest find at the SPCC was a 1909 Lincoln penny.
A.T.W, should come up river, I'm surprised nobody busted your figs for hunting in the city.

MuckyBottles

Bronze Member
Jun 19, 2013
Stony Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hunted all over NY State, including the Stoney Point Conference Center. My oldest find at the SPCC was a 1909 Lincoln penny.

If your ever up in the Stony point area, drop me a line, I have a couple spots that will blow your mind

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on getting out and pulling that silver rosie. :occasion14: You sure had plenty of targets to dig. Looks like 1 to 1 keeper to trash ratio.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs despite the weather distractions! Do you have a silver goal for the year?
My original goal was 100 Silver Coins. I didn't think I would reach it because the ground was frozen down to 4 inches. My first hunt of the season was on March 16th. (I got a silver ) I'll just keep going. This is my best silver year ever.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:...onna roll !!!keep the roll going !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread