πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyed some swing time the last couple of days. managed 18 bullets including a big old .69 and a dropped Enfield with some paper clinging to it. An IH penny, a button back, some flat buttons, some percussion caps and 4 rivets with leather still clinging to them rounded out the time. The 4 rivets came out of the same hole in the trench - if it was a cap box, I never found the finial.

DSCN1700.JPG DSCN1707.JPG DSCN1708.JPG

Now for the four "What the heck??" items. First, this little buckle is the size of an IH penny. Found in Union camp, I guess it could be a much later wristwatch buckle. Any ides on what ELSE a buckle this small (Brass and iron) could have been used for?

DSCN1701.JPG

Now the broken round brass. Any ideas? Concho maybe? And the little gold item beside it - has iron coming out of the top . . .

DSCN1709.JPG

But the GREAT mystery - This has left me scratching my head. Pure lead. What in the name of sense is THIS??

DSCN1704.JPG DSCN1705.JPG DSCN1706.JPG

Upvote 10

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PARSON HEY PARSON THATS SOME NICE CIVIL WAR RELICS . LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A KEPI BUCKLE??? THE LEAD ITEM IS A SCREW FORMED TO FIT ??? THATS THE QUESTION. WHY AND THE HAEL CANT I FIND A PLACE LIKE THAT TO HUNT FOR FINDS .

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The small buckle is a late 18th C Knee Buckle. (Breech Buckle)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like another successful hunt! WTG!

Could the lead thing have to do with something like a car battery post? :icon_scratch:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told, and shown a book picture of this one I found (my smallest, and only one like it) that it was for under garments. Not argueing, just saying. This is tiny.
IMG_1629.JPG

Your gold item maybe a stem from a pocket watch ?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice Finds PW.
Always Great to see a Good Amount of Dropped / Camp Bullets Come out to play all at once.
And a good many Varieties . 69 cal 's are cool ( is the bullet in the top left a 69 as well ?) looks kinda like one ,Melted a little at the base. & What Kind of Bullet is the one pictured almost right under the big Flat Button?

As for your "Head Scrapers" I'd say Kepi as well BUT The size & Iron Middle ??? That would not be a Rusted Tongue???
I suppose Cru Could be right ( he knows old buckles) but IMHO I think it may be of Post War Time 'Like the IH'
That shows at-least a few years of wear.
As for the rest of your unknown items 'I have no idea' esp for the Lead piece.... Strange.
The bundle of Caps is cool also ,Are they stuck together?
Congratz on a great hunt.
Davers

Last edited:
OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very Nice Finds PW.
Always Great to see a Good Amount of Dropped / Camp Bullets Come out to play all at once.
And a good many Varieties . 69 cal 's are cool ( is the bullet in the top left a 69 as well ?) looks kinda like one ,Melted a little at the base. & What Kind of Bullet is the one pictured almost right under the big Flat Button?

As for your "Head Scrapers" I'd say Kepi as well BUT The size & Iron Middle ??? That would not be a Rusted Tongue???
I suppose Cru Could be right ( he knows old buckles) but IMHO I think it may be of Post War Time 'Like the IH'
That shows at-least a few years of wear.
As for the rest of your unknown items 'I have no idea' esp for the Lead piece.... Strange.
The bundle of Caps is cool also ,Are they stuck together?
Congratz on a great hunt.
Davers

I think Whadifind has an excellent idea. Don't know what a car battery looks like inside, but that top is sure a perfect match. Davers:

Thanks, I'm lucky to have this spot, tho it';s finally playing out. The upper left is a standard .58 but it was plow hit HARD making it look like a .69 in the pic. The bullet under the flat button is just a Sharpes Carbine - certain places on this land preserve bullets beautifully, and some spots the grounds eats them away like CRAZY. That Sharpes is severely decomposed. The bullet above the .69 is a .58 decomposed too, as is the VERY top bullet (half cut off in the pic). I have found .58s here that have been eaten away to about .45 cal. I like the little buckle, but I don't know what it is. Too heavy to be a kepi (plus the iron). Oh and the caps were found individually on the trench. Not stuck together. Waiting for crop to be harvested at this spot. I was hunting the "second chance" spot. #1 should yield a few buttons this fall . . . !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread