🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was able to spend another 9 hours in the field today with my Deus. I wasn't easy hunting as all these finds made me work pretty hard with another 30lbs+ of iron. This was my second trip out with the Deus. This time I tried some of the factory preset programs and managed to pick the DB LC and the Bit Boss from an area I have personally pounded with two other machines. Neither were deep (6 inches), but both were masked. The Deus Fast program made both of them show up with a smooth signal in two directions... pretty awesome but I still have a lot to learn with this new machine.

This is my second US Bit Boss and second 1803 LC from this same area. I also got the usual tombac and pewter buttons.

IMG_20151010_174826303.jpg

What made the hunt for me today was this musket patch box plate that I couldn't identify and posted a "what is it" with some great feedback. (Thank you OWK and deepsecrets for the ID) Its hand engraved with some arrows tied together with a bow (I thought it was a snake at first) and a design around the border. This thing was deep... so deep pinpointing was off by about 6 inches and I am very lucky I didn't nick it. This thing is awesome. What I like the most is that its done by hand and clearly a unique piece.

IMG_20151010_172006.jpg IMG_20151010_172452.jpg IMG_20151010_172510.jpg

*Edit: after a little more tooth picking
IMG_20151011_102411.jpg

I was lucky to get a date off the LC. Actually they only part I can clearly see is the "03".

IMG_20151010_170651211_HDR.jpg IMG_20151010_225816885_HDR.jpg

Here are the two bit bosses together... the other bit boss I dug close by a few months ago. Different styles, perhaps there are a couple more there somewhere. (The other relics in this picture were also dug in the same area)

IMG_20151010_232802826.jpg

IMG_20151010_174845416_HDR.jpg IMG_20151010_174850714_HDR.jpg
IMG_20151010_174957.jpg IMG_20151010_230401523_HDR.jpg

Not shown are a couple nice iron relics I dug... in queue to get into the electrolysis tank. A couple knives and a nice early-mid 1800's fork. But the best is an iron boot heal plate that I think will clean up nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 21

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate writing this cause I hate reading it when I post, no useful info to tell you, except what you might be gathering.
That box is Real nice, and without a doubt knowledgeable people will be chiming in.
Can you post more photos, preferably washed at least to show more detail.
Also pretty sure that it will be Banner material!
Can't wait to find out what make, model, and time period that baby came from.
Congrates!
Carl

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hate writing this cause I hate reading it when I post, no useful info to tell you, except what you might be gathering.
That box is Real nice, and without a doubt knowledgeable people will be chiming in.
Can you post more photos, preferably washed at least to show more detail.
Also pretty sure that it will be Banner material!
Can't wait to find out what make, model, and time period that baby came from.
Congrates!
Carl

Thank you Carl! I should have posted it at the beginning, but this is the solved "what is it" that I created earlier today. There is some great info on the path box plate in there from some other members. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/478745-colonial-hand-engraved-snake-arrows-copper.html

I'm actually done cleaning it for the time being. It has a delicate light green patina on it that is already flaking off on the right side of it. I dried this one out and then slowly broke up the dirt with a toothpick, then very lightly dry brushed it. I wont wash this one because it will wash all the patina off it and I'll be left with a reddish copper plate without much contrast on the engraving. However, I do still have more toothpicking to do on it... which I will hopefully get around to tomorrow and put a couple more pictures up in better light.

Thanks again Carl,
Brad

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you know more about cleaning than I do, and thanks, just read the other posting.
Once it's preserved better, I'd be hanging that on the wall.
Still think more info should be coming.
Kudos!
Carl

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the plate what a cool relic, liking the bit boss as well it's looking great in the display.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did a bit more picking at it and I think I have it to a point I'm going to leave it for a while. The edges are a little sharper and I removed some more of the caked dirt from the engravings.

IMG_20151011_102411.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds!!

Thank you Whatdayagot!

I'm glad you know more about cleaning than I do, and thanks, just read the other posting.
Once it's preserved better, I'd be hanging that on the wall.
Still think more info should be coming.
Kudos!
Carl

Thanks again Carl! I got a better picture of the engraving up with a little more cleaned out.

The cleaning thing can be tricky and I've made most of the cleaning mistakes already. ha I like a "dug" look too, so when its an old relic, I like to leave dirt on it for contrast and make it look dug.

Thank you Casper!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet plate man:headbang:

~Blaze~

Thanks Blaze! It wasn't far from the trigger guard so now I'm wondering if part of a musket stock with hardware might have been disgarded. Once the grass dies down some more I'll grid that area super slow and see if the Deus or T2 can't pick up any whispers.

Congrats on the plate what a cool relic, liking the bit boss as well it's looking great in the display.

Thank you pepperj! I flipped the plug and the boss was face down and stuck to the bottom of the plug. I knew just what it was, but since I had a US one from the same site, I was hoping it would be a different variety boss and not a US one. So I enjoyed it for a couple minutes before flipping it over... so for those few minutes it was a different variety in my head. haha

boss dirt.jpg

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice hunt man...and killer collection of finds.

I have to say, I am skeptical of that being a patch case cover to a musket stock. the construction just seems off but i cant offer any other ideas of what it could be. I certainly think that it could be, just a little skeptical due to the hinge and lack of indention/lip. It absolutely is hand engraved and awesome at that! killer!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the hinge end have a hollow tubed hole for accepting a pin to hinge it open and closed?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice hunt man...and killer collection of finds.

I have to say, I am skeptical of that being a patch case cover to a musket stock. the construction just seems off but i cant offer any other ideas of what it could be. I certainly think that it could be, just a little skeptical due to the hinge and lack of indention/lip. It absolutely is hand engraved and awesome at that! killer!

Thanks a ton Dan! You and Bill were out for the same amount of time and got a LOT more finds. It was pretty boring at times, but I'm trying to get the hours under my belt with the Deus so I can be more proficient. So far, I am really liking the machine and look forward to a smaller coil on it.

Check this clip out... If this is a patch box cover, then I think it would have had a similar clipping mechanism as this one with just a post on it to keep it closed. The one end is beveled that would fit closely with the contour of the butt of a musket stock.

patchbox_open.jpg

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does the hinge end have a hollow tubed hole for accepting a pin to hinge it open and closed?

Villagenut, I took a few more pictures to show the "hinge" off a little better. It appears that the copper is folded over and soldered onto itself on the back side. It appears that the hinge tube was hollow, but that the pin is still in there... it looks iron too since the piece sticking out on one end is oxidized.

IMG_20151011_122526.jpg IMG_20151011_122546.jpg

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PATCH BOX COVER FROM 1700S ERA ? DAMN SWEET DESIGN SCAWLED ON THE FACE OF IT . ADV THAT MUST BE A HECK OF A SPOT YOU ARE EXCAVATING , YOUR ONE LUCKY FELLA .

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Like OWK nailed it for you. When you sent me that pic yesterday, we knew it was old and hand engraved.
Bet that goes with the other gun parts you found..
You definitely find the coolest stuff.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That patch box plate is really great, as well as the rest of your digs from that site!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread