Department of Veterans Affairs Medallion and a 1979 Susan B. Anthony Dollar.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first SBA dollar today. Never thought I'd find one, since they were so unpopular when they were issued. Still waiting for my first Eisenhower dollar, though! Just a matter of time, I guess.

I also found a Department of Veterans Affairs medallion. Not sure how old it is, but it's very corroded from being in the ground. I would appreciate it if anyone could give me more info about this medallion.

Here's a few pics:

DSC02418.JPG DSC02419.JPG medallion front.JPG medallion back.JPG

Upvote 7

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
That medallion may have been off an old key ring. Just has that look about it. Nice find. And that Susan B Anthony was good too.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've dug 4 Sacagewea's, 3 President and a SBA, now I need to find the older $1 coins. Congrats on a first.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The VA medallion is from a Substance Abuse Treatment Program (SATP). Many of these were 12 step based 28 day residential treatment programs, hence the serenity prayer on the reverse (it is like a chip you get in AA/NA). Not sure how common the use of a medallion was or is, but when I worked in such a program in Texas in the 2000s I never saw one, and the va where I work currently does not have a 12 step based program.

I know another psychologist who's been at the providence va for 30 years. I'll ask him to see if he knows when these were in use.

Cheers!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Z.K., thanks for the great information! I did Google the SATP acronym, but got a lot of possible matches for it. I just hope the person who lost it has overcome their problems and has moved on to a better life...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread