Got permission to hunt my first Old Historic site! Updated: AVI movie added.

D

Darod

Got permission to hunt my first "old" site yesterday. I am extremely excited to say the least!

I contacted the Property manager for the doctor that is going to build and he told me that the deal they made with the city was finally ironed out. It turns out that in order to build on the location the doctor has to dedicate the first floor of his new building to the city as a museum. There have been at least 2 archaeological digs that I know of on the site already that have turned up many artifacts. The museum will house all the finds from the location which already include some Indian artifacts and so on. I asked the Property manager if there has been any metal detecting done on the location and his reply was, "Not to his knowledge". Which could mean 2 things: (1) He knows there hasn't been any legal (permission granted) detecting done on the location, or (2) There has been detecting done on the property but not legally. I'm hoping for earlier.

The location is steeped with history! I've been reading on my local area and the history of these parts and have found tons of information on this particular site in many historical references!

Well, as it turns out, the doctor granted me access to the site under these conditions:

1. I can hunt anywhere I like on the property and dig all I want.

2. If I find anything of historical value to the city he would like me to donate it to the museum along with all the information/knowledge I have on the item.

3. In return for donating the item/items to the museum, the item will be displayed with the information I provide along with my name as the finder and source for th information.

4. Any coinage I find I can keep. --On this point I intend to keep only what is not truly historical,.....I haven't decided what that really means yet :) I guess I just might give it all to the museum. I'm not in it for the monetary value of items, I'm in it for the excitement of the hunt and find! I like the idea of contributing to the local community and having credit for the finds. You know, my name there forever as a contributer to the community :) kinda cool I think :) 8)

The site had a new structure (1960's) removed about a 1.5 years ago. It's been sitting ever since waiting for the new owner to cut through some red tape to construct a new museum and doctor's office on the location. Over the past few years I have driven past the area to go to work and never seen a detectorist on the site,....not once.

I made it out to the site yesterday for about an hour after work. And within the first 2 mins, right next to the main road adjacent to the property, I found a 1925 wheaty! That happens to be the oldest coin I've found to date. The significance of the find is that maybe, just maybe, the site is un-hunted. I have to be realistic on this however, the site could have easily been hunted years ago before all the attention was on it. HOWEVER, if it was hunted that long ago the equipment used would be far inferior to what I am using today! This fact and the fact that I found that wheaty so close to the road (could have easily been detected off the sidewalk) gives me hope of what might be waiting for me.

The adventure begins! Whatever I find I will post here for all to see.
Any suggestions on technique on covering the ground correct as to not loss any spots, is greatly appreciated!

I'll add a pic of the penny later this evening when I get home and photograph it.

Thanks everyone,.....wish me luck :)

Rod

Almost forgot! What is everyone's feelings on this one? Should I dig every signal and hunt in all metal? or should I disc out the metal and foil, loosing some relic chances? What do you guys think would be the way to go?

Upvote 0

AU79

Apr 24, 2004
Re: Got permission to hunt my first Old Historic site!

People who make the effort get the rewards ! :o Good Luck, Cant wait to hear how it turns out.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very cool Rod! ?That will be a lot of fun! ?I asked the local museum if they wanted any of my finds, they had a look but didn't want anything. ?I just have interesting and old finds. ?They did ask for, of all things, small size horse shoes and ox shoes, I didn't have any small ones back then but have found two since then. ?Have fun with your new site! ?HH, Mike

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004

WAY TO GO, I hope you have the best of luck.Love to look for the local historical finds.Keep us posted and lots of pic,s.HH

sparkymaster

Feb 21, 2005
South Ogden, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX-XLT-M-6

I think I would go through the area and clean out all of the good stuff first, then go through again in all metal. The reason being is that once you start hunting and another detectorist sees you who knows if they'll bring their buddy and come back to hunt without permission and keep everything. Another scenario that could happen is they might change their mind about people hunting there if they get a lot of pressure from other hunters wanting to do the same thing as you. I wouldn't want to take that chance, get it while you can.

OP
OP
D

Darod

Very good points! I think I will do just that!

Thanks Sparky :)

Rod

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon

Wow! It sounds fantastic! At first I was going to suggest you dig all targets in order to remove any garbage near the surface to get better signals on the deeper stuff. But after reading Sparkymasters post I agree with him. You never no when or if something will pop up to stop you from detecting.
It sure sounds like a great spot. You could be pulling all kinds of great stuff from a place like that. Looking forward to reading about all the goodies you find. Good job doing the foot work on getting permision to hunt!

treasurebum1

Jan 12, 2005
flora ms.
Detector(s) used
whites dfx garrett gti2500 whites vision

;) sounds great, like that once in a lifetime chance good luck and great huntin post lots of pic,s

OP
OP
D

Darod

I will :)

Rod

F

Floater

D , That is great. Keeping the community at heart is also a worthy trait and I encourage everyone who has an opportunity to give to do so freely. Sometimes in the quest for our own goals and maintaining our lifestyles we forget about the community as a whole. It is with this in mind that taking a small amount of time to help in whatever way we can that does make the difference. Enjoying what you do and helping at the same time is a great way to make more friends and encourage others to do the same for the good of everyone.
Have a great time and don't forget to keep us informed.

Floater

Still looking for my first detector, but I'm getting close.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800

Good story. Take your time sweep it slowly. Dig as much targets as you can. I would look for the best targets first encass someone decides after a few hunts they won't let you back. If you have full permission and don't have to worry I would dig it all. The more trash you take out the more deeper targets you'll find beneath of it or next to the garbage you just dug. I don't know what type of machine you run so I can't give you any tips on settings. If your using a dfx let me know. I know that unit in and out. I wish you alot of luck man. I hope you find a bunch of good stuff. Be persistent with a spot like that. If you have a couple slow outings don't get discouraged. Sometimes it takes a few garbage trips to start to find the older deeper stuff. How much garbage was at the site to.

Good luck keep us posted on what happens. HH Jeremy

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d

Great story,,, Rod...
Wish ya the best of luck. keep us posted on the results...

OP
OP
D

Darod

Thanks everyone.

I will probably be using both the CZ-20 and the Ace 250. I'll see which does better. I'll post everything! Don't worry :)

Rod

nitro

Dec 30, 2004
Round Rock, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good Deal Rod, It sounds like you have a great site there. I agree with Sparky also. There has to be more stuff out there you know that they have already found some of it, now its your turn to find the rest of it. That is cool to have the chance to donate to a museum. Good Luck. Joe

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II

WTG Rod. Hope it's even better than you're dreamin'. Gotta love the way it feels to know you've got a shot a some primo hunting. Take your time and do well. We'll all be waiting to hear the details so take notes. HH~CO2

OP
OP
D

Darod

Ok everyone!

I had an hour before dark this evening and I had to go by the site.

I used my CZ-20 and set it to ignore everything but coins. This way I could cover some ground pretty quickly as I had little time. I started at the area where I found the wheatie the first night (yesterday evening). Right away I got a hit and at about 6" to 8" I pulled out the Buffalo nickel :) It's dated 1913 and shows quite a bit of wear. First buffalo I've found, ever! Cleaned up surprizing nice compaired to all the other nickels I've found :-\ Not sure what to make of that? Strange how some coins come out looking like they just fell out of someone's pocket and others are a complete shambles!

Anyhow, about 20 mins later and not too far away from the area where I pulled the wheatie and the buffalo I struck silver! :) ;D YES! I pulled out the barber dime in the pic! First barber dime ever for me!!!! Dated 1916 and looks beautiful with not much wear at all as the photo shows. Wow! what a feeling to see that baby in my hand :) This weekend I'm going to make a grid of the site and cover it more carefully. I was rushed for time this evening and I just couldn't NOT go :).

Here is a pic of all 3 coins together:

3_02_05sml.jpg

You can go to this location and see all the photos I took of the coins.

http://www.allstateairandheat.com/treasurenet/userimages/darod/historicsite

Be prepaired, some of the images are rather large.

Rod

OP
OP
D

Darod

Re: Got permission to hunt my first Old Historic site! Updated: today's finds pi

I can't get over the barber dime! It's in super condition! What a gorgeous little coin :)

......can you tell I'm excited ;D

Thx for the compliments,
Rod

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Got permission to hunt my first Old Historic site! Updated: today's finds pics

Rod, I'm so happy for you. Keep them away from the boy's piggy banks, though. ;D
Congratulations,
Haupin

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Re: Got permission to hunt my first Old Historic site! Updated: today's finds pics

Sweet!!! Nice Barber. I bet youre having trouble sleeping, working, etc..... thinking about getting back out there and finding more stuff ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions