Vacation beach metal detecting (Myrtle Beach) FIRST TIMER!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Well here it is almost 4:30 in the afternoon of my second day of vacation. My wife Val and I arrived here in Myrtle Beach last night.. bit too late to do any serious metal detecting on the beach.. even with the big bright full moon shining off the calm cool ocean as the tide slowly came in. Yes, I *Did* take the trusty Prizm to the beach last night but aside from an EXTREMELY valuable Zipper pull and one lonely little penny, we didn't find anything. Alas, I even forgot the flashlight in the car we were so excited to be here! This morning, however, was a different story. I got out on the beach fairly early, at least as far as sun bathers and other beach goers were concerned. I started working a 100 yard long grid from the high tide water line to the edge of the beach grass... where I thought that most people would likely be stretching out their beach towels and setting up their umbrellas and chairs and coolers. I was pretty close anyway. I haven't found that big gold ring or that elusive diamond engagement ring yet, but I did find some other treasures with my trusty Prizm (White's . I found a buck forty in clad, and six pennies, WOOHOO! Along with that I found oh about a dozen pull tabs, one bick disposable lighter that was over half full, and some poor unfortunate child's toy truck (matchbox size). Oh.. and two buried soda cans. Not bad for about an hour's walk in the sand.
This was my first experience with beach combing and metal detection on the beach. I really didn't know what to expect from my White's Prizm IV, but I must say that it proved itself reliable yet again. Now bear in mind that I've only used it in dry sand so far. I know the search coil is supposed to be water proof, so theoretically I could search right down into the surf.. where I'm told the "gold is". But seeing as this is the only detector I have with me I think I'll remain out of the water. One thing that Really impressed me, though I really don't see why I should have been surprised, was how well the Bull'seye II Pinpointer worked in the sand. I only had to use my sand scoop twice. I'd be lost without the Bullseye!
Well day One's find was not so impressive I must admit, but the day is not over yet. It got hot this morning and the beach got crowded, so I retired to the condo to do some "vacationing" stuff with my wife, you know, eating, shopping sunbathing, eating, and shopping. I figure that I'll go back out this evening when the crowds file off the beach for the day I can again plod a few more search grids through the sand and see what I can turn up with my Trusty Prizm. Well.. after going to dinner and some more *sigh* Shopping. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

thadious

Jul 13, 2006
Hemet, Ca
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Garret Ace 250, At Pro
Congrats on your first beach hunt. Get back out there this evening. The beach goers will have had time to replenish the beach. good luck and HH Ted

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got some experience in the sand. Sure is easier to dig. Hope you find the biggun!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
I know my first trip there was worse...

was the summer of 1984 and had a Whites 6000di Pro. Not sure how long I searched, but in my log I found only two brand new 1984 memorials. I never returned to hunt again. I lived only a couple hours away and in the 5 years longer I lived I didn't go back. Of course I hunted other beaches and lived in Va Beach for three years and found a ton of goodies there. I hope the rest of your vacation is spent digging up gold and silver!! Good luck!

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet. Sounds like you had a good time. Hope to hear and see more of your posts.

HH

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Don't feel bad. I have had days at the beach where I have found NOTHING...The big bonanza will come for sure if you keep at it though. I guarantee it!
Best o' luck

~Nash~

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Ohhhh, ther's treasure there for sure, and I'v seen the most unbelivable begginers luck displayed on this sight, Go for it

GYirga

Mar 11, 2006
Sounds like a fun time. Be sure to pay attention to where the sun worshipers set up their towels, chairs and umbrellas and check these locations out as they begin to leave. I have never been an early riser and these locations usually get some keepers in the evening. Another good spot is the heavily traveled paths they use on the way back to there cars. There is a good chance that they loose something lugging all the gear. Have fun.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Hit the beach as folks leave in the afternoon if not you will be the second or third person to detect. Myrtle gets a lot of folks detecting down there. I have found a gold ring or two there my self. I will be there the 3rd my self so leave me some goodies to find.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
WTG!

I was at North Myrtle Beach a few weeks back........got a fair amount of coins, a ton of beer caps, but not too many pull tabs. Not sure where you are looking, but around the OD Pavilion area, there should be some sweet finds......they just got through with Biker Week. While I was there, I had several MDers tell me that after Biker Week, A LOT of "items" could be found. ;D ;D

The one thing to watch.....where the beach chairs are lined up....hit that stretch before they set up the chairs the next day.....that night if possible.
Also, where the trails go up towards the streets....that's where people are juggling their towels, their kids, their blow-up toys, their coolers, their beach chairs...............and in so doing, they lose their money along the way.

The thing that was so hard to judge was.....do you hit the area where the beach chairs were, or do you hit the surf line before tide comes in. Hard call.
Good luck!
Mel

borninok

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Hey Frodov,
When you get back to Lexington, PM me sometime and maybe we can go hunt a local park or something.
I'll give you a few pointers too, I use to be a detector dealer and hunt alot.

Burt Ladd
Nicholasville

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
We used to go to Myrtle Beach for a week of vacation every year until we moved to Dallas. There is a place just above North Myrtle Beach called Cherry something? Can't recall exactly. You can walk out into the water about 75 yards and its only up to your waist. At low tide that same 75 yards is all uncovered. Most jewelry is lost in the water. There are almost no waves at that area and the sand is black. Always did real well there, REAL WELL! Every year it had a high concentration of targets as if it did not get detected. Possibly because it's under water except during low tide. If you get a chance go check it out. I haven't been there in four years.

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by someone when I was there last year that the best times to detect was Friday and Sunday nights. Don't know why, but I watched him for awhile and he did quite well. He was around the chairs and umbrellas quite often. I did not get to bring my detector. :(

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you are having a fantastic time on the beach! Congrats on those finds and welcome to Tnet!!! 8)

Nana :)

clad_badger

May 7, 2007
Lithia Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites M6 Prizm IV Mine Lab 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Frodov. I have the same combo as you PrizmIV and Bullseye II and I am quite satisfied. I md almost daily and have quite a few hours on the prizm. If I can help you with any questions that you have with it please P.M. me. I have found that my prizm will false signal when the coil runs between two large metal objects, but if you pinpoint in all metal mode you will hear nothing. Other than this part. aspect it similar to my Classic III. It sounds like you are having a much better time than the people who are lying around barbequing themselves in the hot sun (and some people think that what we do we is strange) ??? Pictures are always welcome. I enjoy seeing both keeper finds and the unusual things that we all seem to dig up. Again welcome
C.B.

R

RUDY2003

Hey frotov, how you doin'? Great bech hunt. Really sounds like fun. Keep swingin' and they will come. Untold riches and fame are awaiting us all...Like to see pics too.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread