Opal(ish) ring.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a ring today. Nothing to do backflips over, but the first jewelry with my new F-75. Gold plate and a clear chip with what may be a real opal . . . or not. Also two clad dimes, two nickels, three Memorial cents, a pulltab, an AA battery and an almost new Rawlings baseball. Even better was a co-worker had just walked onto the edge of the ballfield where I was searching when I had the hit and he watched me dig the ring. He was much more impressed than I. :D

Attachments

• HPIM0139.JPG
    HPIM0139.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 613
Upvote 0

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How are you liking the F-75 now charlie????? Been checking your posts but seems like it is doing a pretty good job.

OP
OP
Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still very happy. A couple tricks I've learned. The lower the discrimination the higher you can crank the sensitivity. It's still pretty easy to determine trash buy "X"ing the target. I have dug nine and 12 coin's consecutively without a cap, bit of foil or pulltab this way. And in this park it was nothing to do two tabs for every coin with my Minelab Musketeer. Coins always seem to hold a consistent TID # while the odd shaped trash runs three or way more numbers up and down the scale. And even with a bit of discrimination against foil and tabs I got a nice return on this ring.

It seems to love dimes. I have dug one 9" dime, several at 7" and a handfull at 5" already. The park I hunt was badly flooded last year and there are spots with two and three inches of silt, but even so a 1966 Rosie in the spots I hunted would have been under my Musky it seems to me and must have escaped me.

This is also my first detector with a visual display, so I am probably over-awed by what others take for granted on simple machines now. I just am so tickled to be able to tell a pre'82 cent from a post'82 one by TID readout. The modern cents in this park are wasted from fertilizer acids and look like once laundered chocolate chip cookies. I'm getting lazy and passing on them I find. (I also have a torn meniscus in my left knee and I have time I don't want to squat down for a unrecognizable cent).

Have yet to find silver, but I'm confident it will hit it if present.

I'm very happy with it so far. Still on the original set of alkalines and the battery bar hasn't dropped a notch yet.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat little ring, Charlie. I like! And I must say I like your new avatar much better than your last....gave me a headache to look at it. :) Keep digging!

HH

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Charlie! 8) Cute ring!

Nana :)

R

RUDY2003

Dainty little thing , but a keeper none the less.....
Keep safe

coinseeker

Apr 26, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
dfx
Charlie P. (NY) said:
Found a ring today. Nothing to do backflips over, but the first jewelry with my new F-75. Gold plate and a clear chip with what may be a real opal . . . or not. Also two clad dimes, two nickels, three Memorial cents, a pulltab, an AA battery and an almost new Rawlings baseball. Even better was a co-worker had just walked onto the edge of the ballfield where I was searching when I had the hit and he watched me dig the ring. He was much more impressed than I. :D
WTG Charlie, sounds like you have a fan base at work now too....

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie....congrats on the ring. Hopefully there is more gold in your near future.

HH

NJ

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I honestly believe that ANY ring you find means you are doing something right.
Congrats and may the next one have a big fat chunk of ice in the middle!!!!
~Nash~

OP
OP
Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well . . . maybe just with one foot. :)

There is that rush when you see glint in the hole instead of a cruddied up clad or half dissolved cent.

Bluezman

Apr 2, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage
Now that you've broken the ice with the new machine, here's hoping that it's just the first of many.
Bluezman

Ronin9868

Jan 2, 2007
South Eastern VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab SE, 12x15 and the 10x12 Butterfly Excel, 12.5 Excel,18.5 Excel
Nice ring Charlie, Now you just need to get it resized for your finger.. :o :o

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring Charlie, Now you just need to get it resized for your finger..

Or just soak your finger in water for six hours once it is nice an wrinkled slide the ring on....it maybe hard to take off but it should work.

Good luck

NJ

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
Nice ring Charlie. Still looking for my first one with the F75. Today made 7 hours with it and I am still learning things everytime.

OP
OP
Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like many of the upper models of various makes it has a learning curve. The good news is that it's a pretty simple and productive unit on the defaults and the FASTGRAB is fast and easy to ground balance. I've been playing in the hotter "Jewelry" mode and it is nervous and twittery, but I'm finding deep nickels and dimes that are in areas I would have been searching for years with my Musky. Still no silver.

The lower the discrimination the higher you can crank the sensitivity. You get more trash signals, but they are pretty easy to interpret. I'm starting to dig more pulltabs (partially to learn the detector and partially in hopes of better finds), but that's the price for small gold I've always been told. So far when it's warned me of a pulltab it's been correct (hopping TID & uneven tones when "X"ing). And a couple shallow and flat it liked as smooth and seteady, or at least I didn't catch any indications. The F-75 calls out the less conductive coins, for sure. The 3H and 4H tone modes give nickels a high tone and make the bottlecaps hop around and give changable signals.

I'm hoping to hit a few more rings . . . aren't we all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread