Another counterfeit 8 reale? Additional relics from an old home site.

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been swamped with work and a masters class the past few weeks. However, I had a break yesterday and decided to act on the advice of a veteran relic hunter that gave me a lead on a late 18th-early 19th century site. I'll preface by saying I have detected at a few sites the veteran had visited, and he is very thorough. The site is located off a dead end road and I'm sure few people know about it. It predates and doesn't exist on the 1879 insurance map of this area. To add to the degree of difficulty the field was so overgrown, I had to work in a small maze in a locust thicket. The remains of old hand-made brick were scattered among the trees. About twenty yards aways, and on another property was the spring, which drew the settler to the property. Unfortunately it was overgrown too. The small coil on the Garrett AT Pro enabled me to pick out a few relics amongst the iron. After a couple tombac buttons, I had a great signal that I thought was trash. After I got home and cleaned it off with a toothbursh and water it seemed to have the appearance on a coin. Though difficult it seems to have a reeded edge and on the front a ray? I posted a picture of an 8 reale that I found a month ago that seems very similar. Both 8 reales have a 77 VDI on the detector. Maybe someone out there has an idea. Also I have a brass object that has the look of bayonet and a decorative glass object that I found digging another target. Any help is apprecitated. IMG_0681.JPG IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0683.jpg IMG_0684.JPG IMG_0685.JPG IMG_0687.jpg IMG_0688.JPG Sorry for the long post. Thanks!

Upvote 9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling those finds. :occasion14: That piece of glass is cool.

OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, just wondering others take on the three objects. If the round object is a coin, it would be the third counterfeit coin that I have seen unearthed in as many months. Are counterfeit coins that common? The Kentucky county I live in had approximately 10,000 residents in 1820, about the time of the legible real. Interesting.

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found 4 counterfeit 8 Reales here in Ky, the one on the right looks identical to one of mine but doesn't have the copper color like yours.
The one on the left of course is very hard to identify.The triangular piece to me looks like a broken bayonet. Go through my posts and you will find a post I made in my best finds of the 4 counterfeits I found.

Here's the post!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/278549-my-4-counterfeit-8-reales.html
Bill Hilly

Last edited:

AlabamaRelic

Jul 2, 2009
NW Alabama
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Was there any sign of a fire? Perhaps the coin was slightly melted.
The bayonet looking object is a lightning rod. A bayonet would be iron or steel.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds, this most recent 8-real find looks like it may well be genuine. The color of the crust looks just like the silver items i dig out of old garbage dumps where the caustic coal ash has reacted with the silver. Perhaps your piece went through a fire and got exposed to lots of sulfur and other reactive compounds? Worth attempting a clean-up for sure.

Regarding identification, the triangular item is a broken segment of a lightning rod's "spear tip" that threaded into the top of the rod. The glass item looks like the top of a glass insulator (like ones used for telegraph wires) that may have popped off when the hollow cavity in the insulator got full of water and subsequently froze. That's what it looks like to me anyway.

jwarner51

Aug 11, 2014
United states of America
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 4 counterfeit 8 Reales here in Ky, the one on the right looks identical to one of mine but doesn't have the copper color like yours.
The one on the left of course is very hard to identify.The triangular piece to me looks like a broken scabbard. Go through my posts and you will find a post I made in my best finds of the 4 counterfeits I found.

Here's the post!
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/my-best-finds/278549-my-4-counterfeit-8-reales.html
Bill Hilly

What are some signs that tell you it's counterfeit? I'm just curious idk.

sonny61

Sep 9, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Prizm 4, Surfmaster ll
I recently found a counterfeit 8 reale up here in northern ky. Copper with silver coating. Congrats

OP
OP
B

bluegrass digger

Feb 18, 2015
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin does seem heavily damaged from a possible fire. Both coins ID in a lower VDI than a large silver coin. The three late variety 8 reales that have I have witnessed being dug in my area are all counterfeit. Thanks for the comments, much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions