pmcauliffe

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2015
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! New to the site and happy to be here. Please feel free to offer any advice on my posts and how I have posted it (grammar, etc.).

Today, I went out to an old cornfield close to my hometown, that I got permission to detect, in hopes of finding some old relics. I discriminated greatly due to the amount of trash I saw lying around the edges of the cornfield (probably my first mistake lol). Got hundreds of hits for iron/foil; most of which I ignored. Came out with just a couple things and a lot of trash. I will share something with you all that I know the identity of and I will also share something I will need your help determining what it is.

First, I found an aluminum cap with the letters EPCO on it in older style writing. With a little research I found out that it was a cap to a cold cream container made between 1910-1930 (this was a dairy farm after all).

The second major find I can not determine what it is. I know it is made of lead because I could melt it with a lighter and it's super heavy for its size. It is spherical in shape but looks shattered. One end is flat as if it hit something very hard. I am leaning on my common sense and thinking it's possibly just a lead counter-weight but because of its spherical shape I'm thinking it could possibly be a round shot.

I will be providing pictures of both so please lend me your opinion and try to help me determine what the second item is! Thanks friends, hope to hear from you soon!
Pat

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 119
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 4

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to illustrate the fact we don't pay much attention to grammar or spelling, read some of Vino's posts:laughing7:
Those are some good finds. Hope it is just the beginning of many you share. Welcome to the forum.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the post, write it as you feel it. Tis the season to field hunt. I dabble in it, and have hunted a few times on 2 different fields. I normally hunt fields after a light snow, before the ground freezes since I do not do permissions in town in the snow. I think I will be in the woods soon. I have 3 prospective sites within a mile of my house. Houses were on this property according to an 1874 township map.

OP
OP
pmcauliffe

pmcauliffe

Tenderfoot
Oct 25, 2015
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha thanks for the responses. I'm going to keep investigating this cornfield, up until the ground is frozen. I'm not going to discriminate as much as I did before so maybe I will find some more cool stuff. I got poison ivy from investigating but I won't let that stop me haha. There is still plenty left to this field I hope to show you all some more cool stuff. Let me know of any suggestions to search around Townsend mass if you have any! Thanks yall talk to you later

Pat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread