Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't mean much to pretty much anyone who sees them on here, but they are military buttons local to my area... one dating to the 1860s, and other 1793-1802. On average I only find one of these every few years so two in one hunt, from different eras, and different sites, is certainly not something I would expect. The mid. 1800s one is a first for me, and the other I have only dug one and it was way back in 1999.

The other funny thing is the 1860s one I dug my very first target of the day and the other was right at the end of my hunt, like the 2nd last target... but I gladly would have made it my last because I was beat and my day had been made complete. I'll gladly take a couple of local buttons to bookend my hunt any day!

I'll also include the other stuff. Victoria sixpence, Canadian 5 cent, 10 coppers and 4 parts of coppers.

Attachments

• butt123.jpg
    butt123.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 200
  • tr5.jpg
    tr5.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 172
  • tr6.jpg
    tr6.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 187
  • tr8.jpg
    tr8.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 174
  • tr9.jpg
    tr9.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 167
  • tr1.jpg
    tr1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 184
  • tr2.jpg
    tr2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 184
  • tr3.jpg
    tr3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Upvote 28

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love those older military buttons! There's so much history just waiting for us to extract it. Nice finds.

aj

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always great to add new buttons to the collection or even upgrading if possible... Anytime an old military button comes out in a hunt, means it was a great day! Pat yourself on the back!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve,

The fall hunting season is on for you guys....time to show us some more goodies.

Regards + HH

Bill

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.

They won't mean much to pretty much anyone who sees them on here, but they are military buttons local to my area... one dating to the 1860s, and other 1793-1802. On average I only find one of these every few years so two in one hunt, from different eras, and different sites, is certainly not something I would expect. The mid. 1800s one is a first for me, and the other I have only dug one and it was way back in 1999.

The other funny thing is the 1860s one I dug my very first target of the day and the other was right at the end of my hunt, like the 2nd last target... but I gladly would have made it my last because I was beat and my day had been made complete. I'll gladly take a couple of local buttons to bookend my hunt any day!

I'll also include the other stuff. Victoria sixpence, Canadian 5 cent, 10 coppers and 4 parts of coppers.
Really iron patch. I love reading and looking at your finds you always find the coolest items.
Happy hunting. Good luck

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Wow! Great stuff, glad you got out to such a productive site. "Pieces of coppers", he said dryly...cracked me up. In the words of others, "Our soil is very unforgiving to copper coins". I have never seen a collectible "Largie" pulled from my area. You did good.
H.H.,
Phil

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quite the assortment of great finds- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds IP, love those buttons

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awsome buttons. The six pence is nice also. But no conder token? Haha

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys really are blessed with the amount of history in your part of the country IP. :occasion14:

Congrats on the British Military buttons, the silver Six Pence just made your hunt complete! :thumbsup:

Dave

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually did! The 1/3 of a coin is a 1790s Kyan and Camac Halfpenny. :thumbsup:

Whats some of the other coppers you have there? Do i also see a decent shape vicky Canada large cent in the mix?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats some of the other coppers you have there? Do i also see a decent shape vicky Canada large cent in the mix?

Already through them on my display, but from memory there was a... NS half cent, NB large cent, PEI large cent, a Can lg or two, 1820 Trade and Navigation, George III halfpenny and 2 or 3 blanks. I've yet to dig a coin this year that has 'made the grade' and doesn't get thrown on the pile, so I guess that will be my goal now... a couple of coppers and a silver coin that go into my better group.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread