Rocketing down the copper trail

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
After three fall hunts this year, momentum is starting to gather and success is coming our way!
Me and IP had to do it up right this day, it was his fifteen year anniversary detecting old finds, so I guess we had to go get them.
Things picked up right where we left it last time out, started hitting buttons and an odd copper, then
when I hit the Rev War officers button, we were diverted off the copper trail to find some early military buttons!
My nicest King's American Regiment coat button to date...nice details but lacking gilt.
Hit a nearby field with very similar results, interesting find here was my Irish button...crowned Irish harp flanked by the English rose and Scottish thistle; very similar to devices used on Hibernia coppers.
We crossed the river to another site that was pure Rev War, I got a pair of Royal Provincials one large and one small, some edge loss, but great for the age! A few more buttons and another copper. Interesting find here was a small lead disc stamped with a GR cipher in a crown ( Georgius Rex?)
Closed out the rest of the afternoon at yet another site which produced more buttons and a copper.

Looking forward again to getting out and hitting the copper trail soon!

Attachments

• n1butts.JPG
    n1butts.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 151
  • n1kar.JPG
    n1kar.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 159
  • n1harp.JPG
    n1harp.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 154
  • n1rps.JPG
    n1rps.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 145
  • n1gr.JPG
    n1gr.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 153
  • n1lot.JPG
    n1lot.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 144
  • n1coins.JPG
    n1coins.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 154
Upvote 18

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a button! It never did sit well with me thinking it was a Farthing because the 1806 Farthings are fairly thick. That's 5 quality keepers!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep pretty happy with the results!
The harp button is one of my favourite finds from today

Yeah that and the lead are both interesting enough to make the day... but throw a Kings and 2 RPs on top and that's a seriously good detour off the copper trail.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you two are on a nice trail/site.
That is a lot of history.
All that tells quite a tale! :thumbsup::icon_thumleft::thumbsup:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep pretty happy with the results!
The harp button is one of my favourite finds from today

Yeap, not a button I've seen before - nice.

Georgius Rex - probably the 20th C Geo, as the style & letters are not 18th C, although it got white very quickly, so odd.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys find some incredible buttons and lots of them. What a day. Love that harp button

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgius Rex - probably the 20th C Geo, as the style & letters are not 18th C, although it got white very quickly, so odd.

No, it's most definitely old. This site was like a time capsule, a very small area and is where all 6 or 7 Rev War pewter buttons came out and very little else. We each got one worn copper, a few plain buttons between us, and I got one little flower button... and that was basically it. We never dug anything modern other than the occasional piece of modern trash like aluminum.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you guys find some incredible buttons and lots of them. What a day. Love that harp button

But they are still always a surprise, and I quote... "Are you ___ing kidding me!" :happysmiley:

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the fun continues.
You guys consistently find the most buttons, and more importantly military buttons than anyone else. Maybe there was a thread shortage back then.

The 55 coppers you got in the last three hunts is just like a 3 hunt stretch Dave and I had in 2013.

Oh yeah , and some nice keepers. Out of curiousity does the lead piece have a "standard" type of weight ?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the fun continues.
You guys consistently find the most buttons, and more importantly military buttons than anyone else. Maybe there was a thread shortage back then.

Here's what's funny about that. IH and I have always been about finding the oldest sites we could, but as the years go on it's getting tougher and tougher so we now started going with the strategy that as long as a site is old enough for flat buttons and large coppers we are there! So my researched has changed a little, it's more about just having a place to dig rather than to go for the oldest possible sites we can find and likely killing a lot of time looking for them.

We recently discussed this on the drive to start hunt number 2, and what we figured is our coin count would likely increase, (and it has) but the old military finds would drop off quite a bit.... but look what has happened. So the strategy is probably not gong to change any, and really it has always sort of been the same... just dig old targets and see what happens.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
And the fun continues.

The 55 coppers you got in the last three hunts is just like a 3 hunt stretch Dave and I had in 2013.

Oh yeah , and some nice keepers. Out of curiousity does the lead piece have a "standard" type of weight ?

We have been working hard at locating the right areas to look in and so far it hasn't failed; and there's a funny side to it too, I know for fact that we've driven by a couple of these sites before on days when we had no place to dig. The irony is that they came on a day when it mattered!

As for the little lead piece, I haven't weighed it to see if it is near or at any standard weights from the time ; my thoughts were it was used to plug something like a bottle ,or it was a game piece or something like that

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Game piece makes sense, and would make it very interesting. people had little free time back then, IE work hard or starve, so toys, and or game pieces are VERY rare. I've always said I like old toys. I don't mean 1960 hot wheels though. I only have a couple, one of those a broke in half lead rabbit.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice to see that you also had a stellar day out with IP also and the finds are still coming up at a steady pace. Liking the harp button something that I haven't seen before also the King's Reg. one is a really nice find. What does the GR J5 item look like on the reverse side?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Nice to see that you also had a stellar day out with IP also and the finds are still coming up at a steady pace. Liking the harp button something that I haven't seen before also the King's Reg. one is a really nice find. What does the GR J5 item look like on the reverse side?

Not sure if its J "B" or "E" but it's meaning is beyond me
The back just seems to have the texture of the surface the molten lead was poured onto and hardened that way ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446474203.431210.jpg

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ABSOLUTLEY UNREAL FINDS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent buttons! Great to see so many Rev War relics coming out of the ground

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Yeap, not a button I've seen before - nice.

Its a very interesting button
Some research later might shed light on its origin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread