cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
***UPDATE***

I'm turning this into my metal detecting log. I will update here everytime I find something new instead of posting a new thread.

//

Bought a used bounty hunter on Tuesday. Practiced a bit that day and learned a lot.

Went to a site yesterday and found an old iron that didn't have the handle.

And today I found these 3 things. They are all soaking now. Because I'm new I'm digging anything and excited when I find anything :)

I also found some pieces of tin roof but didn't include those.

finds.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 14

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good stuff. Top thing looks like a old 1800's spoon or fork handle. Could be some old coins at that site. Post a pic of the old iron as well! [emoji2]

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is suggested that you spend at least 100 hours swinging the new machine. That way you become pretty familiar with the different signals and what the machine is trying to tell you. Get a small memo pocket book. Keep a log of each hunt. Including dates, location, times, temps, finds,

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
WHATS WROTE ON THE BACK OF THE SPOON HANDLE ? NICE FINDS .

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always recommend to new MDers that you throw an assortment of coins down along with some trash (i.e. beaver tail, newer pull tab, and an assortment of bottle caps). Go over these items and learn how your detector sounds on each one. This also allows you to play with the disc knob to see what disc level is right for your style.

Welcome to the hobby, it seems that the bug has bitten you.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks everyone for the outpouring of encouragement!

the friend who got me into this said he's going to bury some coins for me to practice with.

here's the cleaned up photos of yesterdays finds and the day before. Looks like that tube is lipstick it says "kissproof" I'm going to do some research on it.

cleanedup.jpg

no writing on the spoon handle, just symbols, do any of them look familiar?

iron.jpg

my buddy found a cup the first day but didn't want it. It was a bit out from the actual site we were at where I found the iron.

Is there a place to post your finds in one thread like I'm doing for coin roll hunting?

Didn't get out today because of the rain, I need to buy some lightweight hiking boots that are waterproof.

Last edited:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brace yourself now-----------you, my friend are officially hooked. You have no idea how pleased you will be with your new hobby. Take Loco-Diggers advice and learn your detector. Sounds, Depth, Etc.
Happy Diggin'
Marvin

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
i am hooked! trying to find youtube videos on the machine now since its dark out.

looks like that is a brass lipstick from the 30's!!! I need to go back and hunt that site again!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice digs. Whenever I get a new machine I dig everything for about 25 hrs. I learn the differences in sound with different shapes, sizes, and metals. Keep at it!

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Got up early to detect my yard today.

Here's my finds. My first coins!

11:8.jpg

1951d and 1957d wheats! And a 1983 clad quarter.

That pottery was just laying on the ground, I assume it's not old it's pretty thick.

Not sure what the metal clasp is. And I assume that the nail isn't old either.

Pumped I found coins!

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
welcome to the hobby. i dont do it too much right now, but i plan to when i have more time. happy hunting.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an app I use on my phone called "Dig Mate". You can keep track of all the names of your sites,depth of your finds, photos, notes and it also gives the exact long and lat. date and time. Cool app and only cost me a dollar. You will find that under your coil in no time!
HH

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks everyone for your encouragement! that app sounds awesome, but i don't have a smart phone.

i'm thinking of turning this into my hunt log is that okay? or should i start a new thread somewhere else?

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
we're on the road so i asked permission to hunt the house we're staying at, we're in florida. hunted the curb strip first.

these were my finds.

uno.jpg

then i did the rest of the yard.

and made my way back to the curb strip. last find was a COIN! Unfortunately it was just a 1997 penny the year the house was built. Wasn't sure what I was going to find this used to be an old timber farm.

dos.jpg

Nothing cool on this hunt, but great practice.

What do you think this thing is? Worth hanging onto? I think its junk, but it wasn't machined so i was wondering if it was older.

queesesto.jpg

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunted coligny beach today for under an hour. A lot of people on the beach. Sand was real hard, only took my plastic sifting scoop. First beach hunt.

11c richer and some more practice hunting in the sand.

beach.jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man you are detecting every chance you can. I believe you are addicted, caught, hook, line, and sinker like the rest of us. Good luck, and don't forget to feed the dragon regularly. It only gets better.

OP
OP
C

cowtipping1

Oct 26, 2015
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Primary Interest:
Other
coryg - thanks! I want to go back to that location for a third time. :)

loco-digger - addicted indeed! I'm excited to find some legit treasure. need to find some places near my home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions