Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.jpeg

Upvote 27

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All,
I've gotten just enough uncovered to determine with 95% confidence it is a Barber Quarter, however I still can't figure out a good way to get this stuff off without hurting the coin. Any recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Electrolysis maybe?

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try alternating between freezing in the freezer then dropping it in distilled boiling water.
Several times might do the trick.

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just what I was thinking

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How I progress would depend on what I determined the 'rock' substance to consist of. I would certainly remove it. The substance is worthless if there wasn't a coin in it. It makes for a good story- yea.. but you have photo documentation- so at this point, the coin is all that matters. Get it out of the gunk!!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Villagenut , I'm impressed with your observation of the orientation of the stars - this minute detail eliminates the Seated Liberty series
from consideration . I can't see that there would be anything to be gained from keeping the gunk attached to it for
display or any other reason - otherwise why take any dirt at all off a silver coin when you dig one in the turf - Is there
something sacred about encrustation of beach finds ? (even sacred cows need to be slaughtered periodically )

l

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking it is a chinese fake, they do that a lot

send it to me for further evaluation

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try and determine whether it's encrusted in pitch or a similar substance then use the appropriate solvent to remove enough to reveal the top part of the coin. I'd leave it in the glob as it makes a great conversation piece and displays well. A regular old Barber quarter is no big deal, but one found like yours tells a pretty unique story.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I found a mercury dime in a lump or rust and charcoal, in my own backyard. Maybe yours is a Capped Bust:dontknow: I can't wait to see it liberated!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an adhesive remover that I like much better than Goo Gone or Goof Off -- it's called Un-Du and you can buy it through Amazon. If it's tar, it should remove it without any problem.

OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions! I'm going to try the electrolysis and it will be awhile before I get it done but I promise to post and update when it is free!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread