Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.jpeg

Upvote 27

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a barber dime near a train station like this...be real careful it's almost like a tar coal substance almost impossible not to scratch coin or expose to chemicals when removing it. Cool find though!

tman

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a rock but almost coal,years of corroding around the coin,sorry buddy but it's corrosion around a coin.if I could post a picture I'd show u my ring and other finds in this corrosion build up.peace

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find, should not be to hard to open. Be interesting to see what the date comes up as.....

I've found several this year and one gold ring encrusted.
Mine I just chip away with a small hammer until I get close then slowly work on the crustation, then several short electrolyzes if needed. Mine were found in the Chesapeake Bay were this is some what common for very old coins, most in the area of the early 1900's, and I'm not sure about the date of the gold I found....

OBN0350[1].jpg

OBN0344.jpg

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suggestion----Rather than a hammer us a spring loaded center punch. You can direct the force better and keep tip from ever touching coin. you can also place a small piece of scrap metal (New 1 cent ) on top and hit with center punch.
Marvin

Last edited:

tman

Greenie
Nov 6, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a barber dime my friend...good find.saturday I found 4 busted drapes from 1803,01 the other I can't read the date,on the way out a 10k wedding band,I thought I was dreaming....peace

OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the delay folks. This really did take some time and experimnetation, I think this is about as good as I'll be able to get it without hurting the coin more. It is an 1892 barber quarter. She's not the prettiest one ever, but it's beautiful in my eyes and the thought that someone last held it some 120+ years ago is really amazing to me! Thank you to everyone who commented!

image.jpg

image.jpeg

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd love to find a Barber quarter in any condition. It's one of the only coins I think I have a reasonable chance of finding but have yet to. Well done

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread