Silver coin stuck in a rock!

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting on the beach and I got a medium sized tone that fluttered really high. After a bit of digging I had a big ugly rock in front of me (it was much bigger, I just broke the piece off). I turned it over and what do I see? A silver coin fuzed into it! I'm pretty sure it is a quarter, What should I do with it, take it out or keep it in?

image.jpeg

Upvote 27

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool. I might expose just on one side just to see what it is...

sent from an anus from an asus

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be a colonial coin or shipwreck coin from the early 18th century. What area are you located? I would say leave it in the encrustation but you need to be able to ID the coin to know anything more about it. Maybe you can expose the rest of the one side and get an ID. Very exciting!

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. I might expose just on one side just to see what it is...

sent from an anus from an asus
I like the idea of exposing one side while leaving the rest encrusted. And I'm seriously wondering where Ecoast sent this message from. :laughing7::icon_scratch:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you see the edge? Reeding may help with whether it's colonial or post. Also get the diameter since I see exposed edge at 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock. Also get thickness. Is that actual rock? I've seen asphalt look like that after being spilled in water. To check, a soldering gun will do. Heat will loosen asphalt. Good luck and let us know!

Steve

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a sweet find. I would be unable to leave well enough alone. I would have to expose some of that coin.

Make sure that you show is whatever you do.

Congrats.

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, hope you figure it out.

OP
OP
N

Nathanonline

Oct 31, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update number one: I really wanted to do what everyone suggested and keep it in the rock with part of it exposed, but alas it wasn't working so I broke it out. The rock like material is super strong and even after I've busted it out it is on there good. As you can see in my photo, it has stars around the edge which is a great sign. Any thoughts on the best way to get this material off without hurting the coin too much?

image.jpeg

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's quarter size, I'm thinking Seated Liberty Quarter.

Last edited:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some woman found something similar on a beach near Atlantic City and posted it here several years ago now (maybe 5?). Thought it was a treasure coin. She paid to have the conglomerate x-rayed and everything...and it revealed a chain that she also thought was treasure and now was really excited about a "pirate" find. Consensus was that it was actually a Mercury dime in a conglomerate with toilet bolts and a toilet chain :laughing7:

Yours looks to be an older silver US coin. Nice find!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design of the stars on your coin are not from a SLQ which have five pointed stars. The Seated variety has six points like yours but a different positioning of the points. The Bust design as well as some varieties of Flowing Hair type coins though are quite similar to your stars.Need to see more details to know for sure.

Last edited:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak it in gasoline or diesel, could be pitch used to seal wooden ships. Call me in the morning.

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing the photo of it in a spoon, I'm thinking it's a dime. Will be interesting to see what it is.

Pinball

Dec 18, 2014
Ashland, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is very cool ! I think it looks great the way it is. Maybe just a little more so you know what the coin is. It sure beats the heck out of the pull tabs and newer pennies I have been finding the past couple of days. Nice....very nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread