Road trip to PA culminates with MAJOR bucket list find for me - sorry but very long!!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
My good pal George (the ever-popular Vino) has been trying to get me to make the trek up to his neck of the woods for a bit of “northern” hunting and hopefully some pit digging, and I couldn’t resist any longer. But first let me say that I was extended the absolute ultimate in hospitality and generosity by George during the entire trip. They just don’t come any better than him, and it was great to finally be able to meet the face behind all those “Vino” posts, and actually hunt with him. I tell ya, for someone that’s only been in this hobby for a couple of years he’s already mastered his machine as well as the art of getting permission. After talking with George for 2 minutes the owners are begging him to hunt their property … lol … but it’s true.

Hunting in his area was a whole new experience for me to say the least. To find a site down my way I have to do considerable research and then roam around huge fields in search of a tiny fragment of brick, pottery or iron, hoping it might lead to an early house site. But up his way research is not part of the vocabulary as all the colonial homes were constructed of stone, and just about every one still exists. And since George knows how to recognize the oldies, he just knocks and then proceeds to pound the surrounding lawns that are frequently loaded with relics and coins. That’s a pretty good system if you ask me. Anyway, I had a wonderful time hanging with George and I really appreciated him taking me to many of the sites where he’s experienced loads of success.

Although the overall quantity of keepers was not as great as we expected, some nice individual finds were made by both of us. My 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] favorite find of the trip was made on the first day at a very historic site that served as a hospital for Washington’s army during the Rev War, and it was a gun flint complete with the lead wrapping. Very cool indeed, and a first for me. Trips to other sites produced a few buttons, a KG2, an 1835 LC, and a few other misc relics. Late on Day 2 we visited a site that was the home of Robert Morris who was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. George and some of his other buddies had done well there in previous hunts, and with heavy iron in spots it looked promising for something nice to possibly pop out. But nothing of significance was recovered that day.

On Day 3 we were joined by Brad (aka Outdoor Adv) and we went back to the Morris site. Just like George, Brad’s a super guy who I’ve already established a great on- and off-line relationship with, and who obviously has the same passion for recovering history as George and I. It was certainly a pleasure to finally meet and hunt with him. The 3 of us eventually ended up in a small garden plot that had just recently been plowed under, and thought some good targets might show up. Plus we wanted to help the elderly lady owner find a long lost ring she believed was lost in that area. But there were very few targets in the garden, and other than a couple small buttons and aluminum can shards it was pretty clean. But then out of the blue I suddenly got a big blast through my headphones and was sure it was a soda can or huge piece of junk. I stuck my shovel in and flipped a pile of dirt out, and it magically revealed the edge of a large silver disk. I didn’t have my glasses on but thought I saw a reeded edge, and figured it was probably a walker or barber half. I quickly summoned my 2 buddies to come over and witness the revealing of the mystery coin, but not before everyone took several in-situ pics. Brad immediately observed that the edge design was exactly like that of a Spanish 8 reale which really got the excitement going. And when I finally got the courage to lift it from the moist soil I was not disappointed — it was finally that long-sought big silver that has been eluding me for the past 20 years. George accused me of my hand shaking while I was holding it for pics, and I have to admit he was right. I wasn’t this excited when I dug the Lord Baltimore sixpence a year ago. And I couldn't believe it had been found in a garden that had been plowed for 50+ years and didn't have a scratch on it.

We left a short time later and made a quick stop at one last site before calling it a day, and this was the end of my trip. This whole adventure was a wonderful and exciting experience for me, and I feel that I’ve solidified my friendship with 2 of the best guys I’ve ever hunted with. So thanks again George for putting me onto that awesome coin and for everything else you did to make my visit so enjoyable. I hope I can return the favor to you one day. Now back to toiling away in the fields of southeast Virginia …..

Attachments

• 110515a.jpg
    110515a.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 444
  • 110515b.jpg
    110515b.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 110515c.jpg
    110515c.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 407
  • 110515d.jpg
    110515d.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515e.jpg
    110515e.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 398
  • 110515j.jpg
    110515j.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515i.jpg
    110515i.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 110515h.jpg
    110515h.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 414
  • 110515g.jpg
    110515g.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 110515f.jpg
    110515f.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 392
  • 110515k.jpg
    110515k.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 432
  • 110515l.jpg
    110515l.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 110515m.jpg
    110515m.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 110515n.jpg
    110515n.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Upvote 69

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow Bill, that is awesome. Never found one of those. Its in great condition too. :notworthy:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great POST!! That is some chunk of silver you got there...Well deserved buddy! Hope to do the same thing tomorrow!...Congrats!!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bill!!! That chunk of silver is absolutely crazy, awesome dig!!! The flint is also very cool! Way to go on a spectacular hunt! Would love to join you guys sometime!!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Seems like it's almost too easy in the North :notworthy: once again, amazing find! Stunning condition too!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man bill talk about a great time!, that 8r Is AMAZING!, that site looks awfully familiar to me lol, that's the site of my pistareen that good Ole george put me on, great post, glad PA was so awesome to ya and good for you george for being such a good host!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU are the Spanish-silver-finding master. That is a beautiful coin and the gun flint is also a spectacular find. That was extremely nice of George to invite you up and take you to his sites. Maybe you can go back and show him how to dig a pit.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
YOU are the Spanish-silver-finding master. That is a beautiful coin and the gun flint is also a spectacular find. That was extremely nice of George to invite you up and take you to his sites. Maybe you can go back and show him how to dig a pit.

Our original intent was to spend most of my time up there digging pits, but we just couldn't put ourselves on one although it wasn't because we didn't try.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FREINDS AND GREAT FINDS PRICELESS .....

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Bill. I knew when I heard nothing about the hunts from either of you that something big happened! Welcome to the 8R club buddy. Im putting in a banner vote. I'm glad you made it up finally and all the best.

ecoast

Sep 12, 2013
The Highlands of NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, V3i, DeepTech Vista SMART, ATP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow.SO nice!

Where was the coin found relative to the house or maybe some other property feature?

sent from an anus from an asus

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The big silver is in remarkable condition! Glad you were able to save it from the corn field. I told Steve I thought there would be something good in that field once they cut it down. The owner told me he still turns his gardens so I'm glad the coin wasn't hit by the plow. The daily reports I got from George definitely sounded like you guys were having a good time.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The last pic was taken exactly where the coin was found - about 200 ft from the house in a garden area.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The big silver is in remarkable condition! Glad you were able to save it from the corn field. I told Steve I thought there would be something good in that field once they cut it down. The owner told me he still turns his gardens so I'm glad the coin wasn't hit by the plow. The daily reports I got from George definitely sounded like you guys were having a good time.

I guess I owe you an assist on this one Beez - thanks man!!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill it was my pleasure. Your a great guy and alot of fun to hunt with.
Sorry about the pits. I had high hopes for them. Oh well one of these days.
And you were shaking..lol
I was really excited for you!
And then seeing the date I felt better being the one I found was 2 years older. Haha.
That coin is incredible condition. And man when Brad seen the edge and knew it was a 8reale I think my heart skipped a beat.
Thanks for the kind words, and I would love to have a hunt again.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like it's almost too easy in the North :notworthy: once again, amazing find! Stunning condition too!

I dont know about that Isaac???

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 8R Bill. That had to be a thrill you won't soon forget. I'm also used to the rural farm fields and woods. Its amazing how George can get access to all those colonial lawns of some pretty nice homes.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, That 8 Reale looks incredible! I've never been so happy to see someone dig a target before and I was smiling uncontrollably for at least an hour after seeing that thing surface. haha The lead wrapped gun flint is really awesome... I suppose they would typically just replace the flint and reuse the lead maybe??... so seeing both of them together is really cool. Also, is that a Fox Hunting Cufflink? The "fox" on it sure looks similar to the colonial ones I've seen with the "TALLIO" on the top. I believe the brass top piece with the hook, might be some sort of 1800's shutter or blind pole hook tip... I can find similar ones online, but none that match exact.

Although my finds don't warrant a post on here, it was without a doubt the best day I've ever had detecting. An all around great time with some really great friends.

That big Spanish Silver gets my vote. We just don't see too many of those turn up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread