Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for at the most two hours today in the woods and my two best finds got me into the Revolutionary War time period.

My first find was what appeared to be a one piece button with some type of writing on it caked with dirt. After rinsing in distilled water I saw USA interlocking letters, it looked familiar, after searching the web I discovered I found the Continental Army uniform button 1777 to 1782.

The second cool find is a very worn KG II copper. By moving around in the light I could just barely make out King George, his head on the front and the outline of Britannia on the back. It's been a while since I've been into colonial stuff. I'm pretty stoked.

Enjoy the photos

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447458942.656411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459509.158878.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459525.515729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447459548.227978.jpg

Upvote 63

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finished product really looks great. I think you need to change your avatar. : )

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is excellent dug condition. I sure wish all my Rev War pewter buttons were as good! Heck I wish even one of them was!

As sweet a find as that USA is, a state button looking as good would be substantially rarer, better, and more valuable.... and is what I would be hoping for out of that site!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe my chances of ever finding a nice pewter is quite low. These crazy Maine seasons with tons of precipation and freezing and thawing is pretty hard on them. Luckily most of my silver coins come out quite nicely for some reason. And the one that really counted was in decent shape. I suppose gold takes all of this out of the equation....as you well know 8-)

I disagree because I think what kills them is being in a plowed field being exposed to more oxygen and various other elements. This starts the deterioration and then the plow finishes them off. So if you are digging old sites that are not farm fields I think you have a great chance of finding a nice pewter button.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HEY DUDE THATS SOME FIND YOU GOT THERE , ONE LUCKY FELLA ...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree because I think what kills them is being in a plowed field being exposed to more oxygen and various other elements. This starts the deterioration and then the plow finishes them off. So if you are digging old sites that are not farm fields I think you have a great chance of finding a nice pewter button.

Just basing this off of the pewters that I have found(which is not a big sample size) but I really hope you are right. You know how badly I want just one Rev War button. Do you hear me Rev War button God? Do you hear me I say????

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be the centerpiece of my collection if I found a button like that. I'm putting in a banner vote as well. Great condition. Congrats!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just basing this off of the pewters that I have found(which is not a big sample size) but I really hope you are right. You know how badly I want just one Rev War button. Do you hear me Rev War button God? Do you hear me I say????

First you have to get out there. :) Then you have to either be very lucky, or find sites that are good button producers, because if you dig enough old buttons good things tend to happen. But after all that you still have to go to the post office and send me the $1. ;)

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to get out there. :) Then you have to either be very lucky, or find sites that are good button producers, because if you dig enough old buttons good things tend to happen. But after all that you still have to go to the post office and send me the $1. ;)

Yup I've worked 7 days a week for 3 months. Then I got pneumonia and have been trying to work through that. At this very moment I'm about to get on my ship to go to The Grand Cayman Islands. But when I get back its on my good northern man. I've good a few rabbits I may pull out of this old hat yet. I've been researching hard my man. This vacation is gonna put me in the zone to kill it. But I do have a dollar set aside if this doesn't go the way I envision it. That would be called a willow tree shilling or NE Shilling

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful button rich with history. An amazing find! You should be really proud to have found that gem.

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey DD! Nice finds all around, but a pewter in that shape from the military is worth a banner, IMHO.
Nice find! I tend to use wax as well to preserve pewter, and yours doesn't look like it's too crusty to flake much, but you may want to protect it anyway.
Looks really good cleaned up. Congrats on a beaut! HH..

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is what I would think is the general rule, but like my 43rd, there are always going to be exceptions.

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONGRATS on a great looking example.

Pewter is hit & miss & hard to judge but for the most part the flaking occurs on the damaged edges where the water has got into the structure of the button, this then drys out & flakes causing a knock on effect. As a whole one, you have a 50/50 of that one not needing anything, although I coat in museum wax like the one below (had for years & its still OK). However, as your only example, its worth protecting in the way mentioned.

PS. Had lots turn to dust but they were such poor examples, it was only a minor lesson.

Your 43rd button is awesome! You must have been psyched when you found that!!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Beautiful USA button! Glad you protected it before anything can happen to it.

I found one years ago in NJ, that was relatively stable, but did have a little flaking.

Attachments

• USA Button resized.jpg
    USA Button resized.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 64

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Banner.
Looks great up there!

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you made Banner with these, Totally deserved, I found a USA button and a KG II Copper together on the same hunt here in Kentucky very rare to be found here and they never made it to the top. Congrats, Awesome finds, Bill

OP
OP
Diggin Dude

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful USA button! Glad you protected it before anything can happen to it.

I found one years ago in NJ, that was relatively stable, but did have a little flaking.

Thanks for sharing photo of your button, it looks great!!! We are fortunate being in a part of the country where we have a chance to find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread