Good news, found a 1911 Barber dime! Bad news, hit it twice with my digger!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cold weather must have affected my judgement today (42 degrees out and very windy). I found a 1911 Barber dime 5 inches down and somehow managed to hit it TWICE with my digger! Nicked the top edge of the coin when I cut the plug and scraped the left edge when I dug down to loosen up the soil. What a bright boy I am!

Fortunately, it's not a key date and it was a little worn anyway. But this was my first Barber dime since January 2014! Would have been nice not to have damaged it, but that's the way it goes sometimes. At least I know there's still some silver left in this spot. That fact will keep me going back there a few more times.

DSC04923.JPG DSC04922.JPG

Upvote 13

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next on the First 48... 'Double homicide of a Barber'

I look at many of my nicer finds and often think.... thank God I did not nail that one with my shovel. So when I do hit something, and it's a find I don't really care that much about, I'm very much ok with it being the victim.

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! Barbers are always exciting to find. So I can imagine your disappointment when you seen that you hit it.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I did when I got home was to check the mintage for that Barber. It had a mintage of almost 19 million, so it's not even a semi-key date. Still stinks to hit it, but as IP stated, it could have been something much nicer. At least I didn't put a big scratch across the bust. I've done that quite a few times with clad dimes.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate it when I do that, even to a "common" coin. Oh well, it's a great find!

aj

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ouchy!!! we,ve all done that... my worst was to a Barber also...a quarter.:BangHead:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I nailed an 1875 Seated Dime. A really pretty, almost mint , seated dime. That one really hurt. I feel your pain brother.
Still a good find.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately we all hit some of our finds. But it still looks good and it's a great find. HH

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey a banged up barber is better than no barber, I found my 1st ever half earlier this summer a semi key 1904s barber and you guessed it, I gouged the face near the date, I was so pumped to finally get a half I didn't even care that I scratched it

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Still a Barber that got a haircut, good target-iffy recovery.
Seems that we do a few in over the years and I've done in a few key dates as well and that stings for a longtime and a great reminder to dig wide and deep.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel your pain, Barbers are scarce in my area. My dings usually occur when the coin is down in some tree roots.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm blaming the pinpointer on my Ace 250! It must have been acting up with the cold weather. Yeah, that's it! I really should invest in a real pinpointer to save time and reduce coin mishaps. Haven't dinged too many silvers, but even one is too many...

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain, Barbers are scarce in my area. My dings usually occur when the coin is down in some tree roots.

Yup, roots can be death when I'm digging for relics and coins! I also mess up on the really deep targets. I don't hit it when I cut the plug, but ding it when I'm digging down deeper. I rarely ding a coin that's only 5 inches down, but I guess this was the exception to the rule.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hey tim,all good....I slaughtered a gold filled photo locket in semi frozen ground with...wait for it...the pointed end of my rock hammer...clean through it...arrrrgh

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out my most recent post. I butchered up a silver yesterday. Seems like the deeper ones and those in amongst the roots are the most likely victims. I'll take a barber in any condition. Only found three

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find sir and you can't worry about nicking it- we've all done it and at least it wasn't a key date, so no big deal..

-- Jeff --

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually butchered the face of a 1923 -S Peace Silver Dollar !!!!! It happens, but the worst I ever heard of was some dude on this site
I think, scratched the "you know what " out of the face of a Flowing Hair Half Dollar (1794 - 1795)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread