EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey! been awhile since I've been able to get out at all. I just acquired a new permission to search a yard in town, maps show buildings as early as mid 1800's. But other than the small flat button, Everything so far has been newer.
Still, I found something on my wish list, a scouting artifact. I was pleased to see this sterling Boy Scout ring from the 40's or early 50's. Cool!

SCOUT RING.jpg

Then as a surprise, this Buffalo Bill / Pawnee Bill watch fob. Hadn't heard of Pawnee Bill before. It seems that he was around the same time as BB. He had a smaller Wild West show, and they decided to combine their shows from 1904-1911. Great shape. Fun find.
The flat button is the smallest of its type that I have ever found. I asked last spring about your largest flat buttons, now I wonder about the smallest. As you can tell by the penny included for size, it's not much bigger than a thumbtack!
The other pc. is an unknown type of tag, with Charles Jones on it. There are Jones Lumber company's around here, it may just be a worker's ID tag.

GROUP 01.jpg

Finally, I could use your wisdom here. I find quite a few stamps or printing plates, whatever they are, all over town! If they were near a printing Co. I could see that, but they are everywhere. (This one is about 1 1/2" square) If they were personal stamps, I could see that, but most are advertisements... Any ideas?

PRINT PLATE.jpg

I also found several wheaties and a couple of IHs in very nice shape, 1903 and 1904. Nothing earlier.. But it felt really good to get back out there, if even for a little bit.
Thanks for looking! I've enjoyed keeping up with ya'lls finds. Hope you all have a blessed Thanksgiving and Happy hunting!

Last edited:
Upvote 25
OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree, I have seen some online with very few marks. If it is a WWI dog tag there also was another tag on the string, it may have had the military info. I would go back and check the hole again to see if there is another tag, if it was on a string like the one I found there would be another one.

I always double check my hole.. just in case. I have found a lot of things by doing that. I appreciate your ID on this pc. It went from just a another tag to an important artifact for me. Now I have to research the guy, and see what I can find out. Lots of Jones' still around.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, I have seen some online with very few marks. If it is a WWI dog tag there also was another tag on the string, it may have had the military info. I would go back and check the hole again to see if there is another tag, if it was on a string like the one I found there would be another one.

Here's a photo from online of another dog tag.
View attachment 1237402

Yours looks exactly like my grandfathers from WWI. they are both the same with just his name and a serial number. They are on a thin leather thong though. I almost mistook them for something else due to the lack of info on them, not like mine (Viet Nam) cool find!!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yours looks exactly like my grandfathers from WWI. they are both the same with just his name and a serial number. They are on a thin leather thong though. I almost mistook them for something else due to the lack of info on them, not like mine (Viet Nam) cool find!!

That's more confirmation. I mean a work tag would still be cool. But a Soldier's dog tag is just great. Did he live there? Did one of his kids lose it? How does something like that get lost in the backyard of a Maryland town. Oh, the stories it could tell. I love any artifact that gets my imagination going like that. It's cool, I agree. Thanks! and BTW, thanks for your service! HH

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the pair I found. After cleaning you could see part of the leather string still in the hole on the bottom of the first tag

dog1.png dog2.png

On the back you can see the numbers.

Last edited:

kenonimo

Nov 25, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Good luck on the rest of the dig!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's the pair I found. After cleaning you could see part of the leather string still in the hole on the bottom of the first tag
On the back you can see the numbers.

Wow! I really like all the information on your found tags. That gives you a LOT of historical info. like where that soldier/tag has been and been through! Very cool.
I'm thankful to have found a dogtag at all. But I'll have to try and get the details on my own. I wonder if his serial number would be enough. It'll be interesting trying to find it all out.

Great finds! Good luck on the rest of the dig!

Cool find man. Looks nice cleaned up

Very nice finds. Well done!

Thanks folks! I appreciate the kind words. HH!

Last edited:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I really like all the information on your found tags. That gives you a LOT of historical info. like where that soldier/tag has been and been through! Very cool.
I'm thankful to have found a dogtag at all. But I'll have to try and get the details on my own. I wonder if his serial number would be enough. It'll be interesting trying to find it all out.

Thanks folks! I appreciate the kind words. HH!
Not too sure about the Army, you could try contacting some of the vets groups for guidance. Marine Corps is fairly easy. Contact CMC Commandant of the Marine Corps in DC and explain you're trying to return them to family members.

Believe it or not! If you have a recruiter in your area, they're a great source of where to go and who to see info. Makes sense! They want to present a good image and they have tons of time to spare these days....:laughing7::laughing7: No seriously recruiters are a good often overlooked source of info!

To the other vets. Glad we all made it back!

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why's it have to be a banner find not to be called a "still neat" find. In my book I'd call that a great hunt. I love tokens, I haven't found many lately, but I will eventually. I was with a kid this summer that found one of those cool rings (I was jelly and happy, all in one)
Congrats! More great finds for sure!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The watch fob is really nice. The BSA ring is killer! I dug my first one about 10 days ago, exactly like yours. Very well played!

OP
OP
EasternShoreMetal

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why's it have to be a banner find not to be called a "still neat" find. In my book I'd call that a great hunt. I love tokens, I haven't found many lately, but I will eventually. I was with a kid this summer that found one of those cool rings (I was jelly and happy, all in one)
Congrats! More great finds for sure!

I'm with you! I've seen more than a few finds here I find just as impressive or more than the gold finds. I am tickled with this property so far. I haven't been able to get back yet, trying to rebuild my kitchen.. but I'll be back out there soon. Have a good one. HH

The watch fob is really nice. The BSA ring is killer! I dug my first one about 10 days ago, exactly like yours. Very well played!

Hey Tom, That's really funny that you just found another one! What are the chances ? I like the fob as well, it's a pretty heavy pc. of brass. And I really liked finding out the tag was a WWI Dog tag. Turned into a pretty cool hunt. And, I was having an Indian head penny dry spell, so it was nice to find a couple of them as well. Looking forward to more. HH

Great hunt and finds !

Thanks CMDD ! Happy Hunting for you as well.

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest: