Sifting an Old Incinerate Site

cjc

Mar 19, 2006
n/a
Detector(s) used
DFX, GQA2, (2) 'Cuda, Excal, (1 & 2) Sov. Elite, CZ20, Surf Dual Field...
This shoreline is like a time capsule. The water contains the tailings of an incinerator that operated from the 1920s to the 1960s. Back then, valuable industrial copper, brass and lead just went in the garbage. Gold and silver coins have come from this site along with some great bottle and curio finds. It also teaches me a lot about how objects are classified and dispersed along a shoreline by weight and density. When you put the shovel in at the right spot--something interesting is usually in it. Many shovelfulls contain four or five coins some Victorian and Edwardian. (The shiney Merc is a detector find). Note the two fine watches. The silver medal is a City Parks atheletic award. cjc clivesgoldpage.com

Attachments

• sifting finds 010X.jpg
    sifting finds 010X.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 83
  • sifting finds 013X.jpg
    sifting finds 013X.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 106
  • sifting finds 018X.jpg
    sifting finds 018X.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 108
Upvote 2

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hunting a very similar area, lots of incinerator waste. Like you said there is an area of sand in which small metal objects such as coins automatically go to because of their density. You've probably found lots of little clock and watch gears in the same scoops with those coins, I know that's how it is with my site. Very fun to dig, but be careful of the lead products, I wear a mask as sometimes it is dry and I don't want to breath in lead paint dust or asbestos. Great scores on the old coins! Very cool. And that copper/brass scarp is worth alot, keep digging for it :D :treasurechest::thumbsup:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sift old homesites that are too trashy to detect and I think it is an awsome tool.wish I had that site to sift !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread