🥇 BANNER 1719 King George Coppah !!!!!!!!!

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• KG1_1.jpg
    KG1_1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 459
  • KG1_2.jpg
    KG1_2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 389
  • KG1_3.jpg
    KG1_3.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 387
Last edited:
Upvote 62
OP
OP
Mr. Digger

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to everyone for all their comments and information. Obviously I had no idea about the coin until I posted it here...and a special thanks again to Iron Patch for pointing this out initially. I was looking at the coin again this morning and the angle of the natural light made for a good shot so I snapped a couple more pics....intentionally from the side so as to show some more detail from a different view.

Attachments

• KG1_4.jpg
    KG1_4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 132
  • KG1_5.jpg
    KG1_5.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 131

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just put my vote in!
Congrats!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
... I was looking at the coin again this morning and the angle of the natural light made for a good shot so I snapped a couple more pics....intentionally from the side so as to show some more detail from a different view.
View attachment 1238980 View attachment 1238981

Incredible! The condition of that thing is just amazing. Thank you IP for the education on what this thing is. Mr. Digger, your's appears to be in much better condition than the sold auction one IP posted. This forum is great, since I would have not known that this KG was special other than being in fantastic condition. Great to learn something and see a rare find. Voting this one up top.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dr digger congrats on getting such a beautiful strike on this copper and it deserves the recognition by being placed up top.
Like IP stated that the posting up of this coin is one reason it's ID and that is great, thank you for showing off this rare beauty.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that one! Nice strong strike and patina. Add that to the rarity and you come up with BANNER!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is going in as well on this one! Easy banner in my books... Thanks to Iron Patch and other knowledgeable individuals who share their thoughts and expertise (even though they deny being experts).
We'll see this on top before too long...

lost it

Aug 24, 2015
new england
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Mr. Digger--our state is a goldmine for finding these unforgettable old coins such --great history waiting to be found-- keep it up

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After talking to a few of the colonial coin knowledgeable individuals, your coin is without a doubt special and is probably the same as the one that was auctioned for a darn good amount. It appears yours is the second one known, and even the first was not known to some of the collectors.......I previously voted banner, but do want to say it deserves it without a doubt......
Don

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an awesome find. It's really cool when those counterfeits turn up. Based on its rarity, historical significance and value, you've got my Banner vote.

OP
OP
Mr. Digger

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After talking to a few of the colonial coin knowledgeable individuals, your coin is without a doubt special and is probably the same as the one that was auctioned for a darn good amount. It appears yours is the second one known, and even the first was not known to some of the collectors.......I previously voted banner, but do want to say it deserves it without a doubt......
Don

Thanks Don. Does the eBay write up on the other coin say that his was the only one known? Just looking to understand your comment about mine possibly being the second one known...thanks for elaborating.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Don. Does the eBay write up on the other coin say that his was the only one known? Just looking to understand your comment about mine possibly being the second one known...thanks for elaborating.
I did not read the ebay one at all, just looked at the photo, I am going by what Colonial collectors have said to me...... Now, since it is a struck copper,(meaning someone took the time to make a die) there most likely could and should be a few more, but perhaps they never made it to this side of the pond. I do not know where the first one (ebay one) is from.. Regardless, it is a great rare find.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not read the ebay one at all, just looked at the photo, I am going by what Colonial collectors have said to me...... Now, since it is a struck copper,(meaning someone took the time to make a die) there most likely could and should be a few more, but perhaps they never made it to this side of the pond. I do not know where the first one (ebay one) is from.. Regardless, it is a great rare find.

Or they got made in relatively low numbers or melted down or not circulated, or ???

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a crazy cool find in great condition. A question for IP....Is it odd to see a counterfeit in such nice condition? I mean hell it's pretty damn rare to see a legit coin of that age in decent condition. I'm voting BANNER on this find. Pretty scarce for sure and the condition is just incredible. That soil is very friendly and I hope you find more great finds in it. Love love love this find. Congrats buddy

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that's a crazy cool find in great condition. A question for IP....Is it odd to see a counterfeit in such nice condition? I mean hell it's pretty damn rare to see a legit coin of that age in decent condition. I'm voting BANNER on this find. Pretty scarce for sure and the condition is just incredible. That soil is very friendly and I hope you find more great finds in it. Love love love this find. Congrats buddy

The material the coin is made of may also come into play here along with good soil. Since counterfeits were made of all sorts of metals, it can change the way a coin corrodes or how the ground reacts to it in general. Sorry if I'm not IP, but those are actually my initials. :laughing7:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a big shout out to IP for always bringing clarity to these finds. I know you claim to not be an expert but your vast knowledge of such things has put a solid identification on several things that may have otherwise been misidentified or left as unknown. I appreciate and respect the fact that you tell it like it is and give respect to those funds that warrant it. I also respect that you are not afraid to disappoint somebody instead of letting them believe they have something special when they don't. And yes I just gave you a compliment lol. In all seriousness if ever I gjnd something I believe to be special or rare you and the spandex wearing super hero that gets the first email. As has already happened once....and will again next week ��

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not seen thousands of GEO I coppers, but this one did stick out to me instantly, the thing I noticed first was the big "hook" on the bottom of britannia's shield.

Congrats on the great copper.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material the coin is made of may also come into play here along with good soil. Since counterfeits were made of all sorts of metals, it can change the way a coin corrodes or how the ground reacts to it in general. Sorry if I'm not IP, but those are actually my initials. :laughing7:

We shall call you KID IP! I didn't realize that a die was actually made and that this coin was struck like a normal coin. Really cool to think about

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread