Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's Nov 22nd, still no snow and was very warm considering...We decided to go back to our new site area, as our research pointed out to a prominent Loyalist. I think we found the site with the aid of the land owner. The site was very good to the finds over the years with lack of fertilizer in the ground. The main Colonial site was bulldozed by the landowner many years ago and the other sites much further up on the hill. I managed to get 3 RP buttons from the site with some edge loss and one so worn down I can't see much on it, fantastic shaped Geo II coin dated 1752, 1861 NS large cent, 1843 Vicky, possibly a french coin, neat trunk piece, almost pewter button with pewter shank and normal finds at such a site.
I am also including my detecting buds finds here as he is not a member of the site and he found them right beside me today. I believe they deserve mentioning. He first dug this Rattlesnake button with 13 stars to represent the original 13 states and also this RP button with NO pitting or edge loss, this would be eagle to the USA button in the banner as far as comparison. May not be in order...Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2 RP's.jpg
    2 RP's.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 556
  • Pewter back.jpg
    Pewter back.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 592
  • 1752 back.jpg
    1752 back.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 580
  • Geo II 1752.jpg
    Geo II 1752.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 595
  • NS LC.jpg
    NS LC.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 513
  • Queen 1843.jpg
    Queen 1843.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 133
  • trunk.jpg
    trunk.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Group 2.jpg
    Group 2.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Marcel RP.jpg
    Marcel RP.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 559
  • Rattlesnake1.jpg
    Rattlesnake1.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 637
  • Rattlesnake 2.jpg
    Rattlesnake 2.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Upvote 18

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had another awesome day! Crazy seeing a snake button dug in our parts, but it's not really too much of a surprise. Even the bad RPs are better than most.

That patina is killer on the snake button. Would be hard to ask for better.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I thought about all that you guys found today.....still my only reply is

DAMN!!!!!

That site is one if the best anyone could have

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find loads of those 18th C furniture 'escutcheon' plates but never get them whole, the plough eats them. Is that what you thought went on a trunk? If so, my references are wrong, but as far as I can tell the 2 holes were where the fixing for the handles went.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen similar pieces used on trunks as a decoration of sorts, attached with two brass nails. Could be people reusing what they had possibly.
I find loads of those 18th C furniture 'escutcheon' plates but never get them whole, the plough eats them. Is that what you thought went on a trunk? If so, my references are wrong, but as far as I can tell the 2 holes were where the fixing for the handles went.

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really was a killer site, I'll have to look through my buttons to see if there's anything but I think they're all plain. A spot to return to for sure! The research was good, we were just on the wrong side of the river last week! I thought he was joking when he said he had the rattlesnake button! And that RP is in just amazing shape.

Well it's Nov 22nd, still no snow and was very warm considering...We decided to go back to our new site area, as our research pointed out to a prominent Loyalist that lived in the USA before the Rev War and came to Canada shortly thereafter. I think we found the site with the aid of the land owner. The site was very good to the finds over the years with lack of fertilizer in the ground. The main Colonial site was bulldozed by the landowner many years ago and the other sites much further up on the hill. I managed to get 3 RP buttons from the site with some edge loss and one so worn down I can't see much on it, fantastic shaped Geo II coin dated 1752, 1861 NS large cent, 1843 Vicky, possibly a french coin, neat trunk piece, almost pewter button with pewter shank and normal finds at such a site.
I am also including my detecting buds finds here as he is not a member of the site and he found them right beside me today. I believe they deserve mentioning. He first dug this Rattlesnake button with 13 stars to represent the original 13 states and also this RP button with NO pitting or edge loss, this would be eagle to the USA button in the banner as far as comparison. May not be in order...Thanks for looking!

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...love the buttons! I'll bet that rattlesnake button knocked your friend for a loop!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys! Those buttons are in great shape, especially the two your buddy found. That is the best looking RP that I can recall seeing, and the rattlesnake button is one of my favorites. In fact I was at a site yesterday where I dug two of them, but could only come up with a one piece eagle A yesterday.

By the way those snake buttons were silver plated and I think i see some silver peeking out around the stars on that button.

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys had a great hunt with some very high quality finds topped off by that snake button. Definitely worth a few more trips to the site.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I've also see similar pieces on trunks as well as furniture...Hard to say 100%... But you are right, all are usually busted by the plow, so I was happy to see this pop out...

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really was a killer site, I'll have to look through my buttons to see if there's anything but I think they're all plain. A spot to return to for sure! The research was good, we were just on the wrong side of the river last week! I thought he was joking when he said he had the rattlesnake button! And that RP is in just amazing shape.

Doing some more research, there seems to be numerous sites there dating to the same age...Oh I figured he wasn't joking, but buttons or military aren't his thing...He'd rather Spanish or French silver coins...I haven't seen an RP come out like that in many years!

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt guys! Those buttons are in great shape, especially the two your buddy found. That is the best looking RP that I can recall seeing, and the rattlesnake button is one of my favorites. In fact I was at a site yesterday where I dug two of them, but could only come up with a one piece eagle A.

By the way those snake buttons were silver plated and I think i see some silver peeking out around the stars on that button.

You are right, was silver plated with little hint of silver around the stars.. good eye!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats a heck of a hunt and sounds like a very promising spot. I really like those RP buttons and that great condition KG.

Also, your buddies snake button is amazing. The patina on it is perfect.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds...love the buttons! I'll bet that rattlesnake button knocked your friend for a loop!

I kid you not...It didn't fizz him at all...He get more excited over Spanish or French silver... but it did knock me over when he said he found a button with a bunch of stars on it... I knew exactly what he was talking about, but thought NO WAY

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys had another awesome day! Crazy seeing a snake button dug in our parts, but it's not really too much of a surprise. Even the bad RPs are better than most.

That patina is killer on the snake button. Would be hard to ask for better.

I knew it was just a matter of time as well that something like this would turn up...and curious as to what else will come out of that site!

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some great finds you guys made there.
I don't know much about the other stuff, but that rattlesnake button your buddy dug is a beauty.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the soil looks kind there, great condition on those very nice finds.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
You both had some great finds. I hope you're friend is thrilled with his fantastic Rattlesnake button. That would be a good one to add to my Rattlesnake button thread on the My Best Finds section.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rattlesnake button is killer. Great finds, thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions