Large Cent spill and old silver

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
A friend invited me to detect their front yard months ago, but I was pessimistic and put it off until last Friday. I was hoping for a few Civil War relics. Stepping into the woods, my first signal was a solid 83. After digging through layers of leaves and dirt, a green disc showed up. By its size, I figured it was a Large Cent. That surprised me, because I was really expecting just a lot of trash. Scanning the hole, there was another signal- a second green disc. After recovering that, there was still a good signal. This time, it was two green discs stuck together! I scrubbed the surrounding area with my coil, but didn't find anything else. The multitude of briers limited the area I could search, so after finding some melted lead and iron I moved to the front yard. My first signal there was an 1852 three cent piece- a first for me! Soon after that a 1943 Mercury dime emerged, also a first (I've mainly hunted Civil War/colonial sites).

A partially melted bullet and part of a pocket knife also showed up in front yard. So there may have been a small encampment there during the war, but I'm guessing there was also a home site. The "huntable" land is not very large, but it will be worth a return trip or two.

The green discs turned out to be Large Cents indeed. Two of them are too toasty to get the exact dates on, but I can see the head profiles. The two that were stuck together are easily identified in the photo- they were much better preserved. The one on the left is 1820, the other one appears to say 1835.

HH,
Jason

Attachments

• 112015 hunt 008.JPG
    112015 hunt 008.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 218
  • 112015 hunt 003.JPG
    112015 hunt 003.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 112015 hunt 004.JPG
    112015 hunt 004.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 196
  • 112015 hunt 009.JPG
    112015 hunt 009.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 190
Upvote 30

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds!!!!! Congrats on the spill!!!!:icon_thumleft:

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Yes, Virginia has plenty of history to be discovered. I've found about 10 pieces of Spanish silver from the 1600s and 1700s (not at this site), but this was my first Mercury dime. Ha!

Nice pocket spill there! You must hunt like me I had a bunch of seated and Flying Eagles before I ever found my first (and only)Mercury dime.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Nice pocket spill there! You must hunt like me I had a bunch of seated and Flying Eagles before I ever found my first (and only)Mercury dime.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, relic lover, a lot of it is just where you hunt. I've found seated coins but never a Barber of any denomination. I was actually pretty happy to find the Mercury dime, but the highlights of the day were the penny spill and the trime.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, even though those large cents are corroded, it's always a thrill to dig them, even more so 4 of them in the same hole.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on an AWESOME hunt! I would definitely be making some return trips!!!

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello,
Well, metal detecting in an area with a multitude of briers is better than detecting where there is a multitude of bears! As I quickly scanned your post, that is what I first read, and I was thinking that you are one brave soul, but then I thought..."in someone's yard"? It was a good thing you didn't have to keep looking over your shoulder as you dug all of those old coins. The 3ct silver is quite a find in itself. That spill of Largies had to be a thrilling find. I am glad for you that you found them. That is a very uncommon occurrence any time any where. It looks to me like a couple of them, maybe all four, could be cleaned up a little. I'm sure there are some people here who can give you some tips on improving dug coppers without ruining them. Large Cents always get me a little excited. Thank you for sharing your finds with us!
Phil

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RichieRich

Mar 25, 2013
Meridian Id
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, AT Pro Gold, White's IDX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
super sweet, what is the one with the Star of David

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations. What a great haul! You should go back again

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice spill, but that's one great looking silver! and one that would make my season. Congrats on the great day of hunting
I have found one worn totally smooth, so one like your's would be sweet.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, I would love that hunt, congrats!

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Hello,
Well, metal detecting in an area with a multitude of briers is better than detecting where there is a multitude of bears! As I quickly scanned your post, that is what I first read, and I was thinking that you are one brave soul, but then I thought..."in someone's yard"? It was a good thing you didn't have to keep looking over your shoulder as you dug all of those old coins. The 3ct silver is quite a find in itself. That spill of Largies had to be a thrilling find. I am glad for you that you found them. That is a very uncommon occurrence any time any where. It looks to me like a couple of them, maybe all four, could be cleaned up a little. I'm sure there are some people here who can give you some tips on improving dug coppers without ruining them. Large Cents always get me a little excited. Thank you for sharing your finds with us!
Phil

Thank you! Trust me, if there was just one bear in sight, I'd be in the house on the double quick! The coins are great, but not worth that kind of trouble. As for cleaning them, so far all I've done is use a toothpick to chip off the encrustation. The details are so toasty that I'm concerned that doing much more would remove what little is there.

OP
OP
J

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
Congratulations. What a great haul! You should go back again

I went back for a few hours yesterday and found another coin spill of about 8 or 9 coins- all modern! Also found some 19th century stuff, so I'll keep looking...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread