Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Definitely had one of those hunts to remember today. Over the last 2 days I have been hitting my coastal colonial sites hard before the colder weather makes water recoveries to unbearable to pursue. Needless to say today was just ridiculous. I headed out on the yak to hunt along a settlement listed on an British 1780 siege map hoping there may have been a continental military presence.

yak.jpg

Upon reaching the bank I began swinging, trying to isolate the more productive areas to focus in on with the CTX. My first tone rang in as a low 12-10...not uncommon for pewters so I dug the plug and looked down at an circular piece of metal. Thinking it had to be aluminum, I reached down and realized...I was holding a 1930s 14K gold diamond engagement ring! As my first target no less.

ring.jpg

After meticulously griding the area I also recovered a stunning oak tree pendent- 925 sterling. Not sure of the age, but certainly has a Charleston feel to it. Anyone recognize the hallmark?

ring and silver.jpg hallmark.jpg

A bit further up the coast I managed to find the remnants of an old brick lay. I then proceeded to grid the entire area producing a variety of flat buttons- tomac, pewter, and copper- ranging from the late 18th century to the early 19th. The age of the relics produced by this site was certainly a promising sign.

buttons 1.jpg buttons 2.jpg

As the targets started to dry up I headed back to a site that has produced a few War of 1812 buttons and pewters. Among the digs were a few round balls and 3 interesting buttons. The first dug pewter had it cast shank intact (fairly rare) however much to my disappointment was smooth on the front. My second dig would have made my month...a small copper War of 1812 Artillery CORPS cuff...my 2nd this year!

pewter back.jpg 1812 Art.jpg

The best dig came late as they usually do. After recovering another low pewter tone, I was bummed to see the shank of another cast pewter had broken off however did notice a raised script on the front. Stoked that I may have another regimental pewter, I wrapped it in a paper towel and headed home. After a bit of careful cleaning it appears to be a partial South Carolina 3rd Regiment cuff (19mm). The top of the pewter has a raised, Arabic 3 with the lower section slightly diminished. Here's a few pictures next to Troiani's example-

3rd front.jpg 3rd painted.jpg 3rd back.jpg 3rd book.jpg

Here are the pewters pictured together with a curious dual hooked item?

pewters front.jpg pewter backs.jpg

Days like this certainly make the long hours of digging fishing weighs and aluminum worth it :laughing7: thanks for looking!

totals.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's tough to say, but seems pretty thick for a button. If it was just a random post on here I'd say likely not, but since you're in an area where finds from that regiment have actually turned up I would not rule it out without a better look.... and the better look is likely seeing it in person.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's tough to say, but seems pretty thick for a button. If it was just a random post on here I'd say likely not, but since you're in an area where finds from that regiment have actually turned up I would not rule it out without a better look.... and the better look is likely seeing it in person.

Thanks for the opinion IP, these cast pewter do develop a think crust given the recovery conditions. If you look at the intact pewter...which is certainly a button, in the adjacent image you'll see that it is the same thickness. Let me know next time your in Charleston and you can take a closer look :laughing7:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That's crazy to dig jewelry at a site like that, especially that engagement ring. Some very nice oldies too. Love that SC button, and I always enjoy digging those early pewters with the huge, stand-up shanks. Nice hunt!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's crazy to dig jewelry at a site like that, especially that engagement ring. Some very nice oldies too. Love that SC button, and I always enjoy digging those early pewters with the huge, stand-up shanks. Nice hunt!

Thanks Bill, buttons...particularly early pewters are my favorite digs. Consequently the low 12-10 pewters ring in the same as gold. Dug my gold merchant cuff chasing a similar signal.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome hunt!!! Full of variety and GREAT finds. Hopefully the button turns out to be a good one as well... HH!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What an awesome hunt!!! Full of variety and GREAT finds. Hopefully the button turns out to be a good one as well... HH!

Thanks Isaac, the raised 3 on an early pewter is hard to argue with, even as a partial. Definitely a great day of swinging

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that artillery button, very cool! Wish you the best on the3. Topped it off with gold and ice, nice!

lowcountry

Jan 30, 2015
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool finds!!!! check out my finds from Sunday......gotta take you with me! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread