Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Definitely had one of those hunts to remember today. Over the last 2 days I have been hitting my coastal colonial sites hard before the colder weather makes water recoveries to unbearable to pursue. Needless to say today was just ridiculous. I headed out on the yak to hunt along a settlement listed on an British 1780 siege map hoping there may have been a continental military presence.

yak.jpg

Upon reaching the bank I began swinging, trying to isolate the more productive areas to focus in on with the CTX. My first tone rang in as a low 12-10...not uncommon for pewters so I dug the plug and looked down at an circular piece of metal. Thinking it had to be aluminum, I reached down and realized...I was holding a 1930s 14K gold diamond engagement ring! As my first target no less.

ring.jpg

After meticulously griding the area I also recovered a stunning oak tree pendent- 925 sterling. Not sure of the age, but certainly has a Charleston feel to it. Anyone recognize the hallmark?

ring and silver.jpg hallmark.jpg

A bit further up the coast I managed to find the remnants of an old brick lay. I then proceeded to grid the entire area producing a variety of flat buttons- tomac, pewter, and copper- ranging from the late 18th century to the early 19th. The age of the relics produced by this site was certainly a promising sign.

buttons 1.jpg buttons 2.jpg

As the targets started to dry up I headed back to a site that has produced a few War of 1812 buttons and pewters. Among the digs were a few round balls and 3 interesting buttons. The first dug pewter had it cast shank intact (fairly rare) however much to my disappointment was smooth on the front. My second dig would have made my month...a small copper War of 1812 Artillery CORPS cuff...my 2nd this year!

pewter back.jpg 1812 Art.jpg

The best dig came late as they usually do. After recovering another low pewter tone, I was bummed to see the shank of another cast pewter had broken off however did notice a raised script on the front. Stoked that I may have another regimental pewter, I wrapped it in a paper towel and headed home. After a bit of careful cleaning it appears to be a partial South Carolina 3rd Regiment cuff (19mm). The top of the pewter has a raised, Arabic 3 with the lower section slightly diminished. Here's a few pictures next to Troiani's example-

3rd front.jpg 3rd painted.jpg 3rd back.jpg 3rd book.jpg

Here are the pewters pictured together with a curious dual hooked item?

pewters front.jpg pewter backs.jpg

Days like this certainly make the long hours of digging fishing weighs and aluminum worth it :laughing7: thanks for looking!

totals.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what a spread! I always enjoy seeing the old buttons that have so much history. And hey, who doesn't love a gold ring with a diamond haha! Good job, you have cool spots to hunt.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow what a spread! I always enjoy seeing the old buttons that have so much history. And hey, who doesn't love a gold ring with a diamond haha! Good job, you have cool spots to hunt.

Thanks J, hoping to get a few more opinions on the SC 3rd pewter, if it's legit would certainly my best dig this year.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a very special button you found. The rest of the buttons are great and why not throw a nice ring in? Awesome

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Jon! Another great hunt. Always enjoy your posts and seeing the amazing amount of history y'all dig! Love finding old buttons especially military and y'all sure dig a lot of them! Congrats on another great bunch of finds!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a very special button you found. The rest of the buttons are great and why not throw a nice ring in? Awesome

Thanks Steve, it's much more crude than the British examples I've dug. Hoping IP will chime in to verify it but it looks correct

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the stunning buttons! Extremely well done.

Psst: I'm a bit simple, so I am really into that old gold ring and silver pendant... shiny things, ya know?

Best of luck to you!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Jon! Another great hunt. Always enjoy your posts and seeing the amazing amount of history y'all dig! Love finding old buttons especially military and y'all sure dig a lot of them! Congrats on another great bunch of finds!

Thanks Darby, the 1812 artillery has been heavily eroded but there's just enough for an ID.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the stunning buttons! Extremely well done.

Psst: I'm a bit simple, so I am really into that old gold ring and silver pendant... shiny things, ya know?

Best of luck to you!

Thanks Tom and yes, shiny things every now and then help buy new equipment :laughing7: The silver pendant has a hallmark of an intertwined Sc...still trying to pin it down

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic saves Jon!
The 3rd reg button looks right.
Hope someone can confirm it.
And the rest of the hunt wasn't to shabby either..
You definitely put your time in for that one..
Congrats

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing wonderful hunt! Congrats!

aj

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Well earned collection of early relics and jewelry. Looks like you might have a pistol butt cap to the right of the bottle neck in your last picture.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fantastic saves Jon!
The 3rd reg button looks right.
Hope someone can confirm it.
And the rest of the hunt wasn't to shabby either..
You definitely put your time in for that one..
Congrats

Thanks George I'll take pewter military relics over gold jewelry any day

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well earned collection of early relics and jewelry. Looks like you might have a pistol butt cap to the right of the bottle neck in your last picture.

Think you may be right, the metal is quite thin but it certainly has the correct shape.

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds buddy. You're killing it this year. Looking forward to seeing some of your year-in-review photos.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A really productive salvage. You hit some excellent targets. You started the hunt with gold and silver,, and may have also come away with a rare button.
A SUPER day of recoveries.

Last edited:

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really great saves. I'm glad that one can still find these in SC!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread