Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out yesterday for a morning hunt yesterday with IH and hit some fields I had thought of last year. The first field we hunted had metal covering a huge area, and there was buttons to find, but unfortunately we're pretty sure someone had cherry picked the higher targets and pretty much all of the coins. We then made our way across a couple fields to another and IH hit a George III sixpence out of what seemed like nowhere, but a little walking around and it wasn't long before we were on a good patch of old metal targets.... and this time the place had not been picked! Still only 5 coins total including his silver, but this was a much smaller site than the first, but it was still great being the first to hunt it. It was fun and had some real potential, but as it grew more quiet I knew my chances for a good keeper were fading away. But no complaints about this one, and the 97% chance of rain actually left us alone the entire time.

Coins are.....

Toasted Can. lg cent
NB large cent
Kyan and Camac Conder token (1790s)
John Howard Conder token (1790s)
Destroyed George II Halfpenny (1740-1754)
1771 George III Halfpenny.

Attachments

• z100.jpg
    z100.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 130
  • z101.jpg
    z101.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 134
  • z102.jpg
    z102.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 129
  • z103.jpg
    z103.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Upvote 10

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, every one of those buttons and coppers was a chance...you guys must not have got the rain yesterday...

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, every one of those buttons and coppers was a chance...you guys must not have got the rain yesterday...

Stayed ok right until noon. After that we went to hit an old fav., 'The Bayonet" site, hadn't been there for a few years and it had given up quite a few coppers and some local buttons. After that it was going to be the other side of the creek where IH dug a M penny. By the time we got there it was spilling rain, but we were still ok as we were looking forward to swinging over this site, and it was cut beans, so a great field to hunt. Wasn't long after we got there until we realized they had done some dumping with small trash and it totally killed the site making it not worth digging. So it was out, and during that brief hunt we looked across the creek to see a new house on our other field! So with the rain still coming down, just a few hours left, and no great ideas, we called it a day.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice hunt IP. That cooper trail keeps producing great finds. Any idea how long that trail is, or is that still under the investigation of Inspector Detector IP? Lol. Keep them coming bud

Steve

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt IP. That cooper trail keeps producing great finds. Any idea how long that trail is, or is that still under the investigation of Inspector Detector IP? Lol. Keep them coming bud

Steve

I'd say the trail ends in 2-3 weeks. :)

Mr. Digger

Nov 25, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, SE pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds and congrats on the nice array of coppers!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
We sure did have a chance!
Pretty neat to see a different token come out, I like that there's so many different 18th century provincial tokens out there( that's for Crusader)
I am still having trouble with the fact that some of our best old sites are going by the wayside; either being redeveloped ( it had a house 200 years ago, now it has a house again) or not suitable for further detecting.
It's getting tough. And what was really tough was that rain we experienced , I'm still soggy in places!

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We sure did have a chance!
Pretty neat to see a different token come out, I like that there's so many different 18th century provincial tokens out there( that's for Crusader)
I am still having trouble with the fact that some of our best old sites are going by the wayside; either being redeveloped ( it had a house 200 years ago, now it has a house again) or not suitable for further detecting.
It's getting tough. And what was really tough was that rain we experienced , I'm still soggy in places!

Tough is deciding where to head next time! Yesterday killed what seemed like the last couple of good ideas we had going. Maybe head West and see if Jr. is around and do the one we never been in, and check the last 1/4 of the one we were. Seems like that's all that's left for us around there, at least for now.

goldbmine

Nov 13, 2015
North Ga.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure y'all will put something under the coil, you always do! Nice finds!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is just corrosion, but ole KGIII Bust is a funky one for sure. :) Glad to see you hunting so late in the year. I actually might get out today for a very rare hunt, my first of the fall and perhaps my last for the year.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you're still getting some nice hits from the trail, still there's time to get out and to explore a few new spots. 10C here on Thursday so it's a hunt day of old and some new sites since the beans are coming off finally!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know something good is coming your way...just a gut feeling...as long as the weather holds out! I want to see your next post staying "following the silver trail"

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to get on the copper trail. The KG III like Don says is a little "funky". Maybe the copper trail leads to Funkytown?

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you mean about the cherry picking. Many of the sites we hunt down this way only give up tombacs, small buckle pieces and buttons, tacks, and other low conductivity targets so its obvious someone has been there before. Also, I've run across many sites where outside the iron patch no signals exist at all, but apparently someone was afraid of the iron as that area would be peppered with coins and relics. Regardless, nobody can dig it all, thankfully. Nice hunt BTW!

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3:51 Am, up early, or late ?
Yes with the number of non-ferrous targets, and the amount of ground you cover, you certainly had your chance. Both those two tokens are different...I think.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like your "copper trail" a lot more than my "bottlecap trail" heh. I hear you on how it's getting harder to find productive spots, but you still made great finds that would put me to shame lol.

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it is just corrosion, but ole KGIII Bust is a funky one for sure. :) Glad to see you hunting so late in the year. I actually might get out today for a very rare hunt, my first of the fall and perhaps my last for the year.

Yeah it's a little different. Found a pretty similar match but didn't stare at it long enough to decide one way or the other. Don't see as many counterfeit 1771s, but 1770 seems to be the scarce year for George III.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread